Menu

remember how I was asking about Raleigh/Durham a while back?

ktgrok

I'd really like to move out of Orlando. A lot. I hate Orlando. I moved her to be with DH. I love him, hate the city. We've talked about NC but he hasn't been willing to move away from my family, circumstances were not right, etc. I'd given up on the idea, and we had decided to move across town, closer to my mom and sister (mom is on the coast, sister is east side of Orlando) in the next year. 

Well...his current job screwed him over again. Once again it is "hey, we will promote you" and turns into "we will give you a bunch more work and responsibility but not more money and not a better title". He's done. He is planning on sticking around until the spring, but after that looking for a new job. And last night a good friend of his that lives in the Raleigh area and works at NC State sent him info on a job that would be perfect for him...at the university! And instead of laughing and blowing it off, DH is seriously considering it!!!  He doesn't want to go right now but friend assured him that with how slow universities work they wouldn't even be interviewing until janurary probably :)

So..yay! We both have friends in the area already, and my parents go up there at least yearly already to see my mom's cancer doctors at Duke (she's in remission and has been for many years....just routine follow ups.) And although I'd miss my family terribly, tickets between here and there are not terribly expensive. I could see my mom flying up for a week every few months. Worst part would be missing the cousins...but maybe my sister could put them  on a direct flight and I could pick them up and we could have them here for the same, a week. or they could come with my mom...hmmm. (cousins are very close to my middle kids, same ages and everything.) 

But I just feel like if we are EVER going to live somewhere else it should be now, while my parents are in good health. If that changes and we have to move back at least them we can say we did it. And the position would be a big bump in salary, if he could get it, and in title. 

Anyway, at this point it is daydream stage I guess, but exciting! 

(did I mention I HATE Orlando??)

• Like 10

We North Carolinians would be happy to have you!

Good luck to you dh if he applies for the new job!

Thanks!

Oh, and I was worried about moving there because it would take a year until oldest was considered in state for tuition reasons. But...it's looking more and more like he'll need a gap year anyway, so that's less of a concern. It WOULD mean losing out on some other money though...he's got a chance at the Bright futures scholarship here, that would reduce in state Florida tuition significantly, and he has money in a separate account for kids with ASD, that can be used on Florida colleges, or on books/equipment. So not on NC schools. But honestly, right now I'm more worried about his mental health than academics. Sigh. 

I suppose one issue with moving would be we'd need to probably rent for a while...chances of finding a rental house that will take two large dogs in the area? (border collie and hound mix, no pit bulls or banned breeds)

We live just outside of the triangle. We went to church in Cary for 12 years (until just recently) so many our friends live in that area.

I think you'll be alright finding housing. I feel like the area is pretty pet-friendly. I mean, you may have to look a bit but there'll be housing.

• Like 1

Would the university position include tuition breaks for your children?  That could be so HUGE! 

Travel between Raleigh-Durham and Orlando is a piece of cake.  DH's brothers have lived in those cities for years and traveled back and forth frequently for visits. 

The whole idea sounds lovely to me.  And how great that you are not in a position where there is a sense of urgency.  Your DH can really think on it, apply, and take his time adjusting the to idea of living elsewhere.  And who knows- maybe some of your family will follow once they see how much you love it. 

Would the university position include tuition breaks for your children?  That could be so HUGE! 

Travel between Raleigh-Durham and Orlando is a piece of cake.  DH's brothers have lived in those cities for years and traveled back and forth frequently for visits. 

The whole idea sounds lovely to me.  And how great that you are not in a position where there is a sense of urgency.  Your DH can really think on it, apply, and take his time adjusting the to idea of living elsewhere.  And who knows- maybe some of your family will follow once they see how much you love it. 

I know there are scholarships for dependents after working there a few years, not sure about before. Also wondering if they would give him automatic residency if we took the position, rather than having to wait a year. Worth asking at some point. 

• Like 1

He messaged me, his boss gave him some new information that makes him definitely sure he wants to leave the company. He is going to apply for the NC State job!

The reason we want to wait until spring is that he is supposed to speak at a national InfoSec conference in March, and he

s speaking AS an employee of his current company, about their developments. So if he leaves before then he loses that speaking opportunity :(

He also is due for a bonus in April I think, not sure if that gets prorated if he leaves earlier...I think it does. 

Travel between Raleigh-Durham and Orlando is a piece of cake. DH's brothers have lived in those cities for years and traveled back and forth frequently for visits.

We did the trek from Raleigh-ish to Orlando in May. It's an easy drive, albeit long. :)

Working in Raleigh at NCSU, I'd look for housing in Raleigh/Cary/Holly Springs/Fuquay/North Raleigh-Wake Forest. Don't go to Chapel Hill/Carrboro; wayyyy overpriced. Most of my friends who work in Raleigh are living in Holly Springs and Fuquay-Varina. More home for the money with a reasonable commute.

We did the trek from Raleigh-ish to Orlando in May. It's an easy drive, albeit long. :)

Working in Raleigh at NCSU, I'd look for housing in Raleigh/Cary/Holly Springs/Fuquay/North Raleigh-Wake Forest. Don't go to Chapel Hill/Carrboro; wayyyy overpriced. Most of my friends who work in Raleigh are living in Holly Springs and Fuquay-Varina. More home for the money with a reasonable commute.

Yes, my parents drive to Duke yearly and say it's not a bad drive, just long. I also found that tFrontier has MANY flights from Orlando to RDU for $40 round trip! Now, that only includes a personal item, no other bags, but for quick trips to see family that would be fine actually. And that's totally cheap enough to fly the cousins up with my mom on the regular :)

Our one friend there that works at NCSU lives in Garner, he's more of a country boy I think. Other friend is very hip and used to live in downtown Durham but for work reasons is in Cary and so NOT loving the suburban soccer mom vibe, lol. Another friend is in Hillsborough I think? She's a yoga teacher on top of her day job, so that vibe would fit her if it is as hipster as I think it is. 

SaveSave

SaveSave

Edited by ktgrok

I know there are scholarships for dependents after working there a few years, not sure about before. Also wondering if they would give him automatic residency if we took the position, rather than having to wait a year. Worth asking at some point. 

I was going to ask this question as well.  Is it a faculty position?  Those usually get tuition remission.