Menu

You guys! It's been a while. I'm applying for a part-time position -- what's your advice for handling the employment gap?

FloridaLisa

Many of you know that I became a widow and single mom six years ago. I've continued to stay home and homeschool and I'm SO grateful I've been able to. I've done a bit of work for the company my husband worked for, I freelance and I write, but I'm applying for a job that kinda found me. I need to send a resume and I want to address my employment gap. 

I'm super proud of all I accomplished as I stayed home to raise kids and home educate through high school. My graduated kids have done well. I don't want to detail that on a resume but i do want to note what I was doing. I'd do it all over again and I have zero problems with my employment gap. I've done lots of volunteer work, both in the homeschool community and in my church. 

So, anyone have any pointers? I didn't see this possibility coming but I find myself excited about it and . . . honestly, after the grief walk these last few years, it feels good to be excited about jumping into something new. 

ETA: I'll be able to work out of my home. 

Edited by FloridaLisa
  • Like 15

Many of you know that I became a widow and single mom six years ago. I've continued to stay home and homeschool and I'm SO grateful I've been able to. I've done a bit of work for the company my husband worked for, I freelance and I write, but I'm applying for a job that kinda found me. I need to send a resume and I want to address my employment gap.

I'm super proud of all I accomplished as I stayed home to raise kids and home educate through high school. My graduated kids have done well. I don't want to detail that on a resume but i do want to note what I was doing. I'd do it all over again and I have zero problems with my employment gap. I've done lots of volunteer work, both in the homeschool community and in my church.

So, anyone have any pointers? I didn't see this possibility coming but I find myself excited about it and . . . honestly, after the grief walk these last few years, it feels good to be excited about jumping into something new.

ETA: I'll be able to work out of my home.

No pointers, but I am so happy you're excited. Praying for you!

• Like 2

If you have been freelancing and writing can you simply list "self-employed" or "free-lance writer" on your resume or that time period?  Can you include a cover letter with your resume?  I would lean toward addressing any gap in a cover letter rather than the resume itself.

• Like 3

:seeya:  It's so good to see you!! 

I got the inside track a job based on a personal referral, so a resume was beside the point.

On the resumes that I had been sending out, I had been working a format that included a section high on the first page that had a bulleted skillset and list of competencies.  Further down the page was a chronological list of prior employment, which included my years homeschool teaching and teaching classes.

Best wishes!! 

Edited by Halftime Hope
  • Like 1

People always seem to recommend to highlight either what experiences you gained by certain activities / volunteering, etc or what you accomplished if there is a measurable difference due to your contribution.

If your new job prospect values your ability to write, teaching writing skills and freelance writing certainly apply. I would also make the most of volunteer work anywhere as it is experience gained, skills learned, etc.

I remember when you posted here that your dh passed. We've been here for a while...and it's so good to read everyone is thriving after what you have been through.

ETA: Resume Magic (I think you can download it online for a fee) has been recommended here. It addresses issues like gaps in employment.

Edited by Liz CA
  • Like 3

On my recent resume, I highlighted my volunteer positions during those years. I gave home educating a mention in my cover letter (literally just that I'm returning to the workforce after home educating for the past 8 years) but quickly moved on to highlight volunteer experience.

One never knows what biases employers might have in regards to homeschooling, and I didn't want it to define me.

Adding... I would probably give it more weight if I am looking for work in the education field, but as it is it's mostly irrelevant to the job I'm applying for so I'm treating it that way.

• Like 1

What I did was to make home educating a job on my cv. I stressed research, organisation and commitment as required qualities, but you should align these with the requirements of the job you are seeking. I also made much of organising spelling bees, cub scout dens, book groups and sports days to show that I could work with others. Good luck!

• Like 2

When I returned to the workforce after being a WAHM/homeschooler, I listed freelance writer and editor in my resume. I briefly elaborated on the type of freelance work I had done in the cover letter to explain the gap in outside employment. I did not put homeschooling on my resume and don't think I even mentioned it in my cover letter, though I did list co-op teaching and other homeschool-related volunteer activities in the volunteer work section on my resume. Homeschooling did come up during the interview, so I addressed it then. 

• Like 1

Lots of great suggestions already...

The biggest thing that helped my employment gap was providing references that were excited about me and my job/volunteer performance. My previous boss (in another state and more than 10 years ago) told my interviewer he wished I would come back and cited several reasons why. I had contacted him to make sure his contact info was up to date and told him the situation of the job. 

One other thing that helped was the correlation between the types of work I had done and the new position even though not the same type of business.  

Congratulations on the possibilities! 

• Like 1

No pointers, but I am so happy you're excited. Praying for you!

Thank you! It's so good to see lot's of longtimers. I really think SWB should have us out to the farm to celebrate together. :D

:seeya:  It's so good to see you!! 

I got the inside track a job based on a personal referral, so a resume was beside the point.

On the resumes that I had been sending out, I had been working a format that included a section high on the first page that had a bulleted skillset and list of competencies.  Further down the page was a chronological list of prior employment, which included my years homeschool teaching and teaching classes.

Best wishes!! 

Hello! This is the first time in 11 years I don't have a high schooler, so I'm trying to eek out all the field trip fun I can in this window. Congratulations on your job and thank you for the pointers. 

People always seem to recommend to highlight either what experiences you gained by certain activities / volunteering, etc or what you accomplished if there is a measurable difference due to your contribution.

If your new job prospect values your ability to write, teaching writing skills and freelance writing certainly apply. I would also make the most of volunteer work anywhere as it is experience gained, skills learned, etc.

I remember when you posted here that your dh passed. We've been here for a while...and it's so good to read everyone is thriving after what you have been through.

ETA: Resume Magic (I think you can download it online for a fee) has been recommended here. It addresses issues like gaps in employment.

Thank you, Liz. We had a wonderful summer packed full of a wedding, high school and college graduations and then my first grandbaby. I cannot tell you how deeply grateful I felt to see my kids moving forward so well. When my dh passed away, I feared how I would ever be able to raise teen boys to manhood and my littles through their grief. God is so faithful and friends and family have been enormously helpful. 

Still, homeschooling took a wad of time, and required organization skills, ability to deal with possibly recalcitrant "customers" and problem solve, multi-task, etc. etc.  ;-)

Exactly! It's no small feat to be fully responsible for these humans. ;)

On my recent resume, I highlighted my volunteer positions during those years. I gave home educating a mention in my cover letter (literally just that I'm returning to the workforce after home educating for the past 8 years) but quickly moved on to highlight volunteer experience.

One never knows what biases employers might have in regards to homeschooling, and I didn't want it to define me.

Adding... I would probably give it more weight if I am looking for work in the education field, but as it is it's mostly irrelevant to the job I'm applying for so I'm treating it that way.

Thanks for the input and a helpful reminder about how some still see homeschooling. 

What I did was to make home educating a job on my cv. I stressed research, organisation and commitment as required qualities, but you should align these with the requirements of the job you are seeking. I also made much of organising spelling bees, cub scout dens, book groups and sports days to show that I could work with others. Good luck!

I enjoyed watching your transition back into the workforce, especially as postmistress. 

When I returned to the workforce after being a WAHM/homeschooler, I listed freelance writer and editor in my resume. I briefly elaborated on the type of freelance work I had done in the cover letter to explain the gap in outside employment. I did not put homeschooling on my resume and don't think I even mentioned it in my cover letter, though I did list co-op teaching and other homeschool-related volunteer activities in the volunteer work section on my resume. Homeschooling did come up during the interview, so I addressed it then. 

I hope it does come up because it's been such a part of who I am and what I've done. Thanks! 

Lots of great suggestions already...

The biggest thing that helped my employment gap was providing references that were excited about me and my job/volunteer performance. My previous boss (in another state and more than 10 years ago) told my interviewer he wished I would come back and cited several reasons why. I had contacted him to make sure his contact info was up to date and told him the situation of the job. 

One other thing that helped was the correlation between the types of work I had done and the new position even though not the same type of business.  

Congratulations on the possibilities! 

Ah, great point about references. Thank you, Gaillardia. 

• Like 1

Created my resume and I decided to address my gap years head on in the cover letter. I talked about the community, homeschool and church leadership and volunteering I've done. And then I pushed submit. This is a ministry job, not a buttoned up corporate atmosphere, so I felt comfortable addressing things in my life that affect ministry. 

My word this year is *bold* and that's what it felt like creating a resume after so many years out of the workforce. We'll see! Thank you, all. 

• Like 2

Created my resume and I decided to address my gap years head on in the cover letter. I talked about the community, homeschool and church leadership and volunteering I've done. And then I pushed submit. This is a ministry job, not a buttoned up corporate atmosphere, so I felt comfortable addressing things in my life that affect ministry.

My word this year is *bold* and that's what it felt like creating a resume after so many years out of the workforce. We'll see! Thank you, all.

Congratulations! Hitting that "submit" button is scary and HARD!

Best of luck! :)

• Like 1