Menu

Anyone use a Chromebook for school?

PeachyDoodle

I use Chromebooks. I prefer them over laptops. You really need wifi to make it work well, though, which is not an issue for me. They are sturdier and quicker, IMO, than laptops, but they do have their drawbacks.

Chromebooks work basically like tablets, so everything runs on apps. No Microsoft Office or other Windows programs will install on Chrome.

Google has many apps that work and convert things just fine. I love Docs, Sheets, Drawings, and Slides and use them easily. Most of these work fine offline, too.

Any web based program (like Khan Academy) works fine.

• Like 2

Dd's school uses Chromebooks. It's been pretty good for the most part and really does have excellent battery life. The main drawback for us is that she can't print from it; our printer isn't compatible. So if an assignment needs to be printed she has to switch to her desktop to do that. It hasn't been that big a deal, just a minor inconvenience.

• Like 2

I used a Chromebook. Very fast and easy to use. The only drawback for me has been the printing. I have linked it to my printer, but it always seems to eventually unlink. But since I am using Google Drive for most documents I can just print off my desktop or work computer.

• Like 1

A lot of schools use chrome books, especially for ages 8-14.  Ages 15+ tend to use laptops as chrome books are a bit too limited for what senior students need in high school.  I like chrome books in the classrooms where I've taught.  Most schools use Google Classroom, so chrome books work very well with that.  Ds#2 found that google docs, etc. was what teachers expected students to use.  A lot of papers were expected to be handed in via Google Classroom.  The one thing you can't do with a chrome book is install programs.  I've looked to getting one for my relief teaching (subbing), but I would want to be able to use the mimio, & other e-devices that need installed programs to work.  

JMHO,

• Like 1

My dd had one for three years in college.  She loved it!  She only switched this year when she moved into her graphic design program, which Chrome couldn't handle.  But for basic word processing and web searching, it was really perfect.

it does require internet in order to get full function, but that wasn't a problem with her.  

Also, although her classes weren't online, many of her classes did require online projects, online record-keeping, and blackboard type functions, and it all worked on the Chrome.  If you have a particular online school that you're thinking of though, I'd probably check with them about computer requirements.

• Like 1

A further comment on low end Windows Laptops.  My wife bought one, an ACER, for DIL, more than 2 years ago. She carries it around in her Backpack when she's working during the day and then   has it when she is in classes at nights and on Saturdays. As far as I know, it works fine.  

I read the article I linked to yesterday, again, and if I was choosing between a Chromebook and a low end Windows laptop I'd go with the Windows Laptop.  So much more capability.

However, some people don't need that capability and for them a Chromebook will work perfectly and probably be able to run on the battery for much longer. 

Possibly buy an extra battery for it if I needed to run on battery power for a long time, in a Windows Laptop.

The older Dell (Enterprise Grade) Laptops that my wife and DD and I use are too big and heavy for DIL to carry around in a Backpack all day, so for that reason, the ACER was purchased.

Appreciate all the feedback!

I have a laptop, so the Chromebook would just be for the kids. They only need basics like word processing, internet research and surfing, and fun stuff (YouTube, a few games -- they're not really *into* anything specific). Portability and battery life aren't huge issues, since it will be used at home most of the time. We have high-speed wifi, so no issues there. Thanks to whoever mentioned the printing issues -- I did look into that and it seems like our printer will work. We don't use much digital curriculum, just a few DVD's, which can be watched on my laptop or on the TV.

TBH, I hate everything about Windows. I am a Mac gal through and through, but for various reasons that's not a possibility at this time. We looked at the Chromebook because we just need something basic for the kids, and at 12 and 7, we really don't want to put much cash into it. We anticipate buying something nicer for dd by the time she dual enrolls in 11th grade, if not before. This is kind of a stop-gap measure to get them off my laptop! But obviously, we need to be functional for our basic needs.

• Like 1

I have a laptop, so the Chromebook would just be for the kids. They only need basics like word processing, internet research and surfing, and fun stuff (YouTube, a few games -- they're not really *into* anything specific). Portability and battery life aren't huge issues, since it will be used at home most of the time. We have high-speed wifi, so no issues there. Thanks to whoever mentioned the printing issues -- I did look into that and it seems like our printer will work. We don't use much digital curriculum, just a few DVD's, which can be watched on my laptop or on the TV.

TBH, I hate everything about Windows. I am a Mac gal through and through, but for various reasons that's not a possibility at this time. We looked at the Chromebook because we just need something basic for the kids, and at 12 and 7, we really don't want to put much cash into it. We anticipate buying something nicer for dd by the time she dual enrolls in 11th grade, if not before. This is kind of a stop-gap measure to get them off my laptop! But obviously, we need to be functional for our basic needs.

After reading all of this, I would definitely say Chromebook. They are so much faster than Windows laptops. I love ours!

• Like 2

They only need basics like word processing, internet research and surfing, and fun stuff (YouTube, a few games -- they're not really *into* anything specific). Portability and battery life aren't huge issues, since it will be used at home most of the time. 

A Chromebook will do wonderfully for this. Both my kids used them all through high school. Unless there is specific software that can't be installed, I think it does at least 98% of what is needed for at  least 95% of high schoolers, lol. And if there's another computer in the house, even more so. 

My oldest did get a laptop for college, but she doesn't have to carry it around. She uses her smart phone for stuff on the go. The laptop is great in the dorm room for both work and fun, and it replaces a TV. 

• Like 2

My kids use chromebooks and are generally very happy with them. When they need to print they just share whatever it is to me and I print from my laptop.

We have them set up as Google supervised users so parental controls are solid. The younger one may need a real laptop soon because he loves coding and is talking about learning CAD. And while there's a lot he can do with his chromebook in the beginner realm if he wants to continue he will eventually need a laptop.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk