Menu

Help me find a toy

Elizabeth86

My nephews are turning 2 and 4 soon. I love buying kids useful or educational gifts usually. My nephews mom works and goes to school and she barely has time to do what she has to do, so really she doesn't have a lot of time for crafts, projects, reading that sort of thing. So, my usual books, artsy stuff, things like that won't get used. Even toys that have pieces like duplo blocks will likely get scattered and things that need putting together each time you play likely wouldn't get much use either. Can you think of anything? I hate just getting some random toy, but I can't think of anything exciting.

Turning on the Way Back machine here - Do you remember Chevron Cars?   These were the little cars that you could buy at the Chevron station when you got gas.  Lovely colors, good size for small hands and lasted through kid after kid.  Small enough to put in a backpack and big enough not to get lost.

In fact, we had little kids here a couple of weeks ago playing with the cars. And our set is 20 years old now. Gosh - they even have Fuller Firetruck on eBay!  

http://www.ebay.com/bhp/chevron-cars

ETA - I second the Capes and Masks suggestion.  Very Much a Winner!  

Edited by AK_Mom4

Turning on the Way Back machine here - Do you remember Chevron Cars? These were the little cars that you could buy at the Chevron station when you got gas. Lovely colors, good size for small hands and lasted through kid after kid. Small enough to put in a backpack and big enough not to get lost.

In fact, we had little kids here a couple of weeks ago playing with the cars. And our set is 20 years old now. Gosh - they even have Fuller Firetruck on eBay!

http://www.ebay.com/bhp/chevron-cars

ETA - I second the Capes and Masks suggestion. Very Much a Winner!

Do you have any idea what a coincidence that you should suggest chevron? My brother, their grandpa used to haul fuel for chevron. He died in a work accident hauling fuel, not for chevron, but a different fuel company.

• Like 1

At that age, my boys really loved Fagus trucks. They are expensive but are beautifully made and last forever even through lots of rough play. We bought the Unimog first and it is still new looking even after eight years of daily play. My boys still love them.

Ohhh, I like the pop up tent idea. You could get them each a battery operated lantern or a crank flashlight to go with it. It’s a big toy that mom can collapse onto a small space if it’s out of the way.

This looks fun:

https://www.amazon.com/Kids-Ground-Child-Tunnel-Inside/dp/B004DYL8C8

Edited by KungFuPanda

Schleich animals

Magna-doodles

Both were (and still are) much loved by my girls.

My nieces (2 & 4) will probably get a homemade rice box from me. Plastic tub, rice, and lots of scooping/pouring/measuring tools. My SIL will probably think I'm nuts (or cheap) but my kids still play with their rice box (years and years later...and with aforementioned Schleichs).