Menu

Sticker Shock

SquirrellyMama

I need to get our dog, that we've had for 2 months, groomed. I messaged a groomer that I saw recommended, and got her price. Oh my, I don't think my dh would let me and the dog back in the house if I spent $153 on grooming. Now I'm afraid to ask other groomers.

How do I politely, and kindly tell her I cannot afford her price. I'm sure she's great, and talented, and I understand she is probably worth that much, but...

Kelly

I would just thank her for the info and move on.  You don't owe her an explanation.   I wouldn't be afraid to call a couple other groomers though.

That is nuts.  I'd consider investing in a clippers to use at home. 

Edited by WoolySocks
  • Like 5

That is very high.

Since we don't care if our Lewis looks like he has a professional haircut, I bought clippers and we groom him ourselves. It is not the best hair cut in the world, but he is comfy and it gets done. With two boys in college, I wasn't paying $40 for haircuts every eight weeks for him.

Spycar put me onto the dremel idea for his nails when we were having trouble with clipping. We bought one for dogs, and that has worked well. He doesn't like it, but he also is willing to accept it which saves the wrestling matches we used to have.

• Like 2

Wow. That's a lot. How big is your dog? Around here the going rate for small dog full grooms is $40-$50 (eta: that's a basic breed standard groom, not Asian fusion styling or anything like that).

I've done my own grooming for years. It isn't hard, although there is an initial significant outlay if you want really good clippers, a grooming table, etc.

Edited by Pawz4me

Ok, she got back to me again. The price is $53. That I can do.

I was trying to think of a way of asking if she meant 53. I couldn't think of a way, and not feeling stupid if it really was 153.

I did a little home grooming around his face. We can see his eyes again, but I was afraid of poking him in the eyes.

Kelly

• Like 7

I vote to do it yourself! I bought some groomer quality clippers after my dog's first trip to the groomer. It was about $50, but because of her fur, we'd have to do that at least every month. I usually groom her now every 2 weeks to stay on top of it. We'd never had a dog who needed grooming before, had no idea the little puppy we got would need it (mixed breed/mutt, so her adult fur/looks were unknown), and had sticker shock. On top of the cost, doggy hated it and it took hours.

Now, I groom her on my lap or the floor of the bathroom and it takes about 5min to do a touch up and about an hour for a full groom. We could do it more quickly if I cut her hair shorter but I like it with some length. At first, doggy was difficult to groom, but she's gotten used to it with time and obedience training and she's really easy to groom now. She doesn't look perfect, but it's better for us than spending at $600+ a year. 

• Like 1

I vote to do it yourself! I bought some groomer quality clippers after my dog's first trip to the groomer. It was about $50, but because of her fur, we'd have to do that at least every month. I usually groom her now every 2 weeks to stay on top of it. We'd never had a dog who needed grooming before, had no idea the little puppy we got would need it (mixed breed/mutt, so her adult fur/looks were unknown), and had sticker shock. On top of the cost, doggy hated it and it took hours.

Now, I groom her on my lap or the floor of the bathroom and it takes about 5min to do a touch up and about an hour for a full groom. We could do it more quickly if I cut her hair shorter but I like it with some length. At first, doggy was difficult to groom, but she's gotten used to it with time and obedience training and she's really easy to groom now. She doesn't look perfect, but it's better for us than spending at $600+ a year. 

No offense, but you didn't get a pair of professional groomer quality clippers for $50. The box may have tried to convince you they were that quality, but . . . no, not unless they were on one heckuva good sale.

In general I'd plan to spend a minimum of $150 on a decent quality clipper. (But that's also not to say you can't get the job done with a less expensive pair.)

• Like 1

It's been amazing to me how much they charge for grooming my cat ($80, only way to keep Miss Longhair from throwing up). I cut DS and DH's hair with a pair of $20 clippers, but they don't bite.

LOL!

I cut DS18's hair with a $25 pair of clippers.

The dog's clippers cost . . . WAY more than that and I don't allow them to be used on DS's hair. :lol:

• Like 1

Not for nothing will I not ever have a dog who requires regular grooming...

I don't think I"ll ever have another dog who doesn't require grooming. Not having to deal with shed hair is all sorts of awesome. I spend much less time grooming this pooch than I used to spend cleaning up after the sheddy ones! 

• Like 3

No offense, but you didn't get a pair of professional groomer quality clippers for $50. The box may have tried to convince you they were that quality, but . . . no, not unless they were on one heckuva good sale.

In general I'd plan to spend a minimum of $150 on a decent quality clipper. (But that's also not to say you can't get the job done with a less expensive pair.)

The grooming was $50ish. The clippers were not. They were about $150 on sale from amazon open box. Probably not the highest quality but they were what my mobile groomer friend told me she used.

• Like 1

The grooming was $50ish. The clippers were not. They were about $150 on sale from amazon open box. Probably not the highest quality but they were what my mobile groomer friend told me she used.

:lol:

Apparently my reading comprehension skillz are taking a holiday today. Sorry!

Yikes!! When I call and ask for prices, I just say "Thank you" and hang up. They don't need to know what I think of the price. If this was in person, I'd politely say, "I'll let you know if we need you." Call around and ask. Personally, I find that price outrageous, but I live in a low cost of living area, and groomers charge $35 for my shih tzu. Probably a bit more for big dogs, but I guarantee it's no $100+.

Also, I only get him groomed about four times a year. He gets clipped pretty short, so once he starts getting shaggy and messy, I take him in. He gets a few mats behind his ears and I tell them to cut them out, don't bother brushing them out.

ETA: Just saw that it was a typo. That's a little more like it. :)

Edited by Mimm

I don't think I"ll ever have another dog who doesn't require grooming. Not having to deal with shed hair is all sorts of awesome. I spend much less time grooming this pooch than I used to spend cleaning up after the sheddy ones! 

Same. Shih Tzus hardly leave hair anywhere. My sister has a yellow lab mix and thought that short hair would mean no hair problems. :lol:  And she wears mostly black too!

• Like 1