Menu

Genetic testing - which company?

Greta

I've been thinking about getting genetic testing done for quite some time, and the recent threads about it brought it into my mind again. I think I might request it for Christmas this year.

If you've had it done, which company did you use, and what made you chose that particular company? Were you happy with what you got for the price?

Thanks!

BTW, I'm having a deja vu moment, so if I have asked this before, please forgive me!

What is it you want to get our of it? Health information? Genealogy?

23And Me has advantages for health because of which SNP's they test; you don't have to do their health service, you can get the cheaper ancestry only test then run it through third party health analysis programs such as Promethease for health information. Their ethnicity estimates are also supposed to be more accurate than most.

Edited by maize
  • Like 1

Ooo Thanks!

Am I correct in that then I can upload the raw data to something like 23&me or Ancestry ad find relatives? They say they will provide the raw results as a file.

Sites that you may be able to upload to:

GEDMATCH

Family Tree DNA

GENI

Myheritage

It might be a bit tricky as upload systems are generally set up to handle data from the popular commercial sites (23andMe Ancestry, etc.) but as best I can tell this study is using the same basic chip as some of these so hopefully the data will be compatible.

• Like 1

I received Ancestry DNA for Christmas. I'm happy with the results - it has helped me with tracing my family back to Newfoundland and Ireland. I downloaded the raw data and then paid $5 (I think) to Promethease to analyze my DNA for various health issues. I wouldn't advise doing this if you are nervous about your health, lol. I could see the report freaking some people out. I found it very interesting and discovered some mutations that could have a negative impact on my health. 

• Like 1

Is there a testing that can tell you your heritage but without the personal/family connections? I would be interested in knowing how much of what I have in me, but I have no desire to connect with more family from my dad's side. Unfortunately I've been assured by my mom there would be no happy surprises in that result!

• Like 1

I received Ancestry DNA for Christmas. I'm happy with the results - it has helped me with tracing my family back to Newfoundland and Ireland. I downloaded the raw data and then paid $5 (I think) to Promethease to analyze my DNA for various health issues. I wouldn't advise doing this if you are nervous about your health, lol. I could see the report freaking some people out. I found it very interesting and discovered some mutations that could have a negative impact on my health.

I wondered about this because I am nervous about health issues! Maybe I'm better off not knowing! :) Thank you for sharing your experience!

Is there a testing that can tell you your heritage but without the personal/family connections? I would be interested in knowing how much of what I have in me, but I have no desire to connect with more family from my dad's side. Unfortunately I've been assured by my mom there would be no happy surprises in that result!

You can opt out of the relative finder bit if you test through 23andMe.

• Like 2

I don't know if they do this or not, but it wouldn't surprise me. If it helps Big Pharma come up with better drugs for MS and other diseases I don't mind as long as my info is anonymous. 

I would avoid commercial companies like 23andme because they sell your genetic data to Big Pharma. If you get genetic testing done through your doctor, that information is protected by law.

• Like 2

I did Ancestry, the transferred to FTDNA for $18, and to Gedmatch.com and Myheritage.com for free. I want to still test at 23 & me. I also ran my Ancestry DNA through  https://promethease.com/  for medical info.

I am very happy that we tested with Ancestry first. I tested by father and husband for Y-DNA at FTDNA and plan to test myself for MrDNA soon. 

All sites have sales through the year, except I have never seen one at 23 & me. So I would sign up, join mailing lists, watch on facebook, or join a DNA genealogy group. 

• Like 2

I did Ancestry, the transferred to FTDNA for $18, and to Gedmatch.com and Myheritage.com for free. I want to still test at 23 & me. I also ran my Ancestry DNA through https://promethease.com/ for medical info.

I am very happy that we tested with Ancestry first. I tested by father and husband for Y-DNA at FTDNA and plan to test myself for MrDNA soon.

All sites have sales through the year, except I have never seen one at 23 & me. So I would sign up, join mailing lists, watch on facebook, or join a DNA genealogy group.

23andMe was half price through Amazon on Prime day; if you are wanting to test I'd check back around black Friday weekend.

• Like 2

What is it you want to get our of it? Health information? Genealogy?

23And Me has advantages for health because of which SNP's they test; you don't have to do their health service, you can get the cheaper ancestry only test then run it through third party healthanalyais programs such as Promethease for health information. Their ethnicity estimates are also supposed to be more accurate than most.

. Agree with this post.
  • Like 1