Menu

Please recommend math for the non-reader

SamanthaCarter

My 5 year old is not reading yet, and as far as I can tell, she is not ready. But, she is zooming through math, and is about halfway through my first grade curriculum. I need something to give her because she begs for math, but I don't always have the time to sit and read the text when I'm working with the bigger kids. There's no money left in the homeschool budget, so something expensive like right start or Montessori materials are out of the question. Also, she's a workbook lover. Any ideas?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Would Khan Academy work?  Isn't there an audio component where it can read the instructions to the child?

Or maybe do the CLE workbooks but you record your voice ahead of time on tracks so she can play the track she needs to hear for each lesson?  That would be a lot more complicated and I don't know how tech savvy you are.

Hmmm.....not sure.  Hopefully someone else has a better suggestion.  Good luck.

My 5 year old is not reading yet, and as far as I can tell, she is not ready. But, she is zooming through math, and is about halfway through my first grade curriculum. I need something to give her because she begs for math, but I don't always have the time to sit and read the text when I'm working with the bigger kids. There's no money left in the homeschool budget, so something expensive like right start or Montessori materials are out of the question. Also, she's a workbook lover. Any ideas?

Rod and Staff Publishers' first grade materials. You'll need to spend about 10-5 minutes teaching, using the scripted oral lessons in the teacher manual, then you'll give her the seatwork. There's no reading necessary for the seatwork. You could also do the blackline masters.

Rod and Staff Publishers' first grade materials. You'll need to spend about 10-5 minutes teaching, using the scripted oral lessons in the teacher manual, then you'll give her the seatwork. There's no reading necessary for the seatwork. You could also do the blackline masters.

I'll look into that!

-/-/-/-/-

We try to avoid online stuff for schooltime. It just has never worked well for us. I can let her do Khan after all our schoolwork is done for the day though.

My first reaction was MUS which worked extremely well for us for math for a non-reader.

But since you want low cost, try the Spectrum math workbooks.  You will have to read the instructions and word problems to her (or skip the word problems for later), but it should mostly be doable by a non-reader. And they were only around $9.95 or so per grade level as I recall (via amazon).  I suggest starting with its grade 1 so that she can find where in it she belongs, or review a little while getting used to its format.

We're using Horizons for 2nd grade and there isn't much to be read in the book, except for very simple instructions that you two could go over together. :)

Horizons books are bright, colorful, and fun. We enjoy them. I think I paid $18ish for book 1.

Evan-Moor Basic Math Skills was fun for my son before we switched to Horizons, it was just too easy for him.

Rod & Staff is also a good option for the non-reader.

Miquon is great, but if you don't have the funds look at MEP. It is good and free, although it takes patience on your part to understand how it works, and you may need to do some teaching occasionally. However, if you want to keep her busy until her day in the mathematical sun arrives, you could really skip around or ahead or whatever.

Print the teaching pages and the work book pages for part of a level and set them next to each other and it will become clear.

• Like 2

I have a non reader that is good at math but I had trouble finding a supplement that she could do with math at her level without reading while I am working with her older siblings and there definitely is not a curriculum I know if that she could do mostly on her own. A lot of the supplements out there were either all one type of problem or had written instructions. I use MEP and really like it but a lot of the lesson comes from the teaching book and the worksheet problems have written instruction so it is not mostly independent for us. Maybe in the lower levels it is a little different though.

Edited by MistyMountain

I have a non reader that is good at math but I had trouble finding a supplement that she could do with math at her level without reading while I am working with her older siblings and there definitely is not a curriculum I know if that she could do mostly on her own. A lot of the supplements out there were either all one type of problem or had written instructions. I use MEP and really like it but a lot of the lesson comes from the teaching book and the worksheet problems have written instruction so it is not mostly independent for us. Maybe in the lower levels it is a little different though.

We are using Math in Focus 1a. I have all of the books through 5. I have counting bears, AL abicus, place value blocks, fraction pieces, and some other stuff.

Miquon is great, but if you don't have the funds look at MEP. It is good and free, although it takes patience on your part to understand how it works, and you may need to do some teaching occasionally. However, if you want to keep her busy until her day in the mathematical sun arrives, you could really skip around or ahead or whatever.

Print the teaching pages and the work book pages for part of a level and set them next to each other and it will become clear.

I heartily suggest MEP. My older two didn't read until they were 7 and 8 but were thoroughly enmeshed in MEP at that point. The only thing that I would add to the get yourself started instructions above is to make sure that you don't scale the A4 pages to 8.5x11 or else all the measuring exercises will be thrown off. The only thing that will get cut off will be the page numbers. You can pencil them in afterward. There's a yahoogroup that has a heap of files and lots of archived discussions that can help answer any question. You can also ask me. We've been doing it for years now. I currently have 3 in different levels of MEP.