Menu

CLE, Horizons, or Abeka

jmjs4

My first grade daughter is bored with math programs that are mastery based.  I am looking into getting her either CLE, Horizons, or Abeka.  I actually have Horizons 1 here, but we didn't do Horizons K and there is a lot of stuff it starts off expecting them to know that she does not.  I like that CLE starts at the beginning and assumes nothing.  Abeka looks really fun with all the color and variety.  Which one do you think is the most fun, and is easy to teach?

The most fun & easy to teach spiral program would be McRuffy, IMO.

I've used level 400 of CLE, levels 1-Algebra 1 of Abeka, and Horizons K of what you mentioned. Hands down, as far as fun, McRuffy K was the best.

Now, I will mention that although McRuffy is spiral, I did make it even MORE spiral (by building in even more review) for my kids because we need a lot of spiral review. It is really easy to use, has lots of games, and a wide variety of activities (so if your kid doesn't like one particular one, you can just skip it). 

Of the ones you mentioned, CLE would probably be the easiest to teach. Abeka gives you a script to follow in the Lesson Plans, but lessons would have taken an hour if I did them all. (And did take an hour for oldest kid, because I didn't know any better!)

I have never used CLE for math, but it always gets great reviews.  I did try Abeka for pre-k and it was just not my teaching style at all. I'm back to MP for my core and Horizons math in K.  My older kids started Horizons in 1st and 3rd after being in school.  Their transition was not too much.  Fourth grade long division was a bit of a steep curve for my dd, but she picked it up in the 5th grade book very well.  

CLE is amazing for engendering a sense of accomplishment, for kids that are into that. Finishing a light unit is so much more doable than finishing a big honkin' workbook!

But fun in the traditional sense it is not haha. And it's not colorful. The math is rock solid I'm and it could not be easier to teach.

We're using Horizons this year and loving it. The pages are nice & brightly colored and really attract the attention of the student. It is a rigorous program but works up to it slowly so it's not such a shock to the student's system. My oldest is in grade 2 so I don't have much to compare it to, except for the Ace PACE program we used last year (before I was acquainted with WTM). Every day was a struggle with that program.

I just switched my DD8 to CLE (from MM). I loved MM, but she needed discrete daily lessons or we got very little accomplished (with her arguing with me about when to stop). Now, we stop when the lesson is finished. I also like that I don't have to work fact practice in on my own - it is scheduled right into the program. I'll add in additional word problems on breaks or in the summer.

Is she bored because she doesn't like focusing on one topic for a long time and needs variety, or because she masters the material very quickly and needs to move on?

OP, this is a very important question and will definitely affect which programs might work best for her.

On a side note, I found my kids did best with a blend of things.  We use CLE but supplemented with Beast Academy/CTC plus other math sources to keep it interesting, help fill in gaps, etc.  CLE is a great program but it has a LOT of review.  Not all kids need that much review.  Since there is so much review it is, IMHO, fine to cut out some of those problems if your child is getting bored and needing to move on.  It is weak on word problems but it is easy to supplement to beef up that part of the program.  VERY easy to teach.  Get the TM.   Easy to grade from the TM, too.

I used Abeka math in upper elementary and highschool. It prepared me well for college. I liked it then and enjoyed math through precalculus (i decided i wanted more math late and the calc class wasnt offered then or i would have taken it instead;)in college.

After trying rightstart (lovely in theory but not enough traditional practice for me) and CLE (I am suspicious of Mennonite math and my son found the pages way too long) I went back to Abeka arithmetic this year. The kids are doing well and it is easy to teach. Find one that you like the feel of everyone is different. If you do go with Abeka either buy the manual and/or check out the tips on little schoolhouse in the suburbs blog for k-3 abeka arithmetic. The workbook is supposed to be mostly review you teach beyond it!

I don't have experience with Horizons or Abeka but CLE is not fun. It has been well accepted here, gets done, and is good enough, but no fun at all. I actually cross out some word problems because I think the topics are too much for my sensitive kids. 

The only math I've seen that is actually fun would be Beast Academy. I liked it very much, but it was too difficult for us to accelerate which is what I needed at the time. You also might like something like Shiller- I used that for a while with my kids and it was more fun. Some kids consider fun to be math with games, colorful pictures, puzzles, stories, etc. Other kids find the most fun math is the one that is the quickest to finish so they can move on to things they actually like (and math is never going to be part of that). They find all the games and stories only serve to prolong the math pain. 

I taught Abeka in a co-op (parent/admin requested it) and found that it was tedious, did not bring out the joy and beauty of mathematics, and was lacking in complex problem-solving experiences.  I had to supplement significantly to give my students the complex, challenging material I felt they were capable of.
I haven't used the other two.  
My personal preference would be Singapore, Miquon, Keys To, and/or one of various texts designed for school use.  I used a mix of these things for my own children.

• Like 1

I fluffy purple heart love Horizons. It's super easy to use, stealthy in how it builds up concepts, interesting, you can tell the author enjoys math, and my Horizons kids were/are wicked solid in their basics. It's colorful too.

I used a few levels of Abeka when my older kids were small. It got the job done, but it did the very opposite of Horizons. Abeka was a chore to be endured. Sure it was thorough. Once we noticed one kid who was getting fabulous grades in Abeka math could not complete the same concepts anywhere outside of Abeka.

No experience with CLE.

• Like 2