Menu

Question about hot dogs

Tanaqui

Let's put a condiment on that hot dog, shall we?  

175 members have voted

1. 1. What do you put on your hot dog?

• Cheese
    • Chili
    • Ketchup
    • Mustard
    • Onion sauce
    • Raw onions
    • Dill relish
    • Sweet relish
    • Sauerkraut
    • Other
  2. 2. And what sort of hot dog is it?

• All-beef
    • Chicken
    • Pork or mixed meats
    • Veggie dog
    • Other

You ordered it???? :svengo:

:ack2: :ack2: :ack2:

Twice, sort of.

A friend ordered it while we were at the restaurant as a sort of novelty thing. Then we tried to recreate them at home later.

The first try was... different. The second, full attempt was equally as unappetizing on the way back up. It tastes like nope.

• Like 2

Here's an Australian reply.

We have sausage sizzles, especially to raise funds for local groups. They often have them outside the places where you vote, to raise money for the local school or fire brigade or something.

They are generally beef sausages with a bit of onion and you can choose tomato or bbq sauce. I generally go with tomato sauce. Apparently this is similar to ketchup - I don't know. You eat this wrapped in a piece of bread.

A hot dog would be a frankfurter which has a red skin and I have no idea what it is made out of. Maybe pork? Mostly breadcrumbs I bet. Anyway you would eat this in a bread roll. I must say I don't really see these for sale anywhere but I don't live in the city. 

I have been to a sausage sizzle. These are good.  The red skin sausage I could not bring myself to eat.  

Tomato sauce is good and especially the homemade is very good.  It's not ketchup exactly, but in Aus if given a choice between tomato sauce and ketchup I choose tomato sauce.  I don't like any ketchup that's not american style (heinz specifically or taste just like heinz).  Other ketchups are too sweet and don't have enough vinegar or other spice flavors.  

According to family lore, a German ancestor of mine on my paternal grandmother's side (who was originally from Frankfort) was responsible for introducing the Hot Dog as we know it at the 1904 World's Fair in St Louis.

I've found no documentation other than crediting another German immigrant (at the same fair) with the same feat on Wikipedia. But somewhere there in the mix in confident my great-grandfather was fixing Hot Dogs at the fair.

I still like Sauerkraut and German mustard on my dogs.

Bill

• Like 3

Usually they are Hebrew National beef hot dogs without a bun, so on a plate with chili, slaw (mayo-based but no sugar!), and what my husband calls "hot-dog dip"--a mix of mayo, spicy mustard, and a touch of ketchup. If in a bun, the same, though the mayo and mustard will be separate and likely no ketchup. I don't like raw onions, though they are traditional here, but grilled onions can be lovely. We have eaten veggie dogs the same way from time to time.

Bratwurst is with a bit of mayo and spicy mustard.

Occasionally I will try something different if it catches my eye. I read an article about Tokyo Dog food trucks and decided to try some inspired by them (since we are on the opposite coast, couldn't just go try them :) ) www.tokyodog.com  I was able to find some of the more specialty ingredients like Japanese Kewpie mayo at the Asian market. IIRC, we did the Kewpie mayo, teriyaki grilled onions, and shreds of nori. Next time we go down, my father-in-law wants us to try some from a new place he's found near them called the Hot Dog King, which seems to have all kinds of odd toppings. https://www.musthavemenus.com/places/the-hot-dog-king-of-lancaster-lancaster-sc-47702/all.

I couldn't vote. I would never eat a hot dog - the color, the smell of the water my mom boiled them in, the mystery of their ingredients.

I couldn't eat hot dogs for a very long time after my family dared to drink a cup of "hotdog tea", which is of course, the hot water the hot dogs were boiled in. It tastes just like it smells.  :eek:

Being veggie dogs doesn't make it any less gross. PU

Usually a mix. Just ketchup. Preferably nitrite-free. Like bun length.

Do you mean "nitrate-free*?"

*except that naturally occurring in celery juice (with the addition of lactic acid or other reactants) that produce just as many or more nitrates than just pouring it out a a jar?

I remember a time when I thought I was purchasing "nitrate-free" products only to discover the fine-print and how deceived it made be free to learn it is a food-labeling fraud.

A legal (for now) fraud. But still a deliberate attempt to deceive consumers.

Apologies for "jumping" on your post. I just think may of us had/have no idea that nitrate-free doesn't mean nitrate-free.

Bill

I love a hot dog with cheese sauce, mustard, and onions....but if I'm at home it's probably not going to have the cheese sauce. :) 

I love Chicago dogs, too.  My grandma used to make something she called a "swanky franky" which was a hot dog sliced down the middle, filled with cheese and wrapped in bacon.  I've made it with turkey bacon for the kids before.

Hot dogs these days are usually Nathan's.  Growing up they were almost always Ball Park.

With no fine print about celery juice?

Because that's how food-processors deceive the public.

Bill (former dupe :D)

Yes, I have read fine print and I still figured it was kinda like buying something like applesauce that had no *added* sugar. We all know appleasauce is sweet on its own but unsweetened seems healthier. /shrug

Yes, I have read fine print and I still figured it was kinda like buying something like applesauce that had no *added* sugar. We all know appleasauce is sweet on its own but unsweetened seems healthier. /shrug

Except here, when the food processors add celery juice and reactants such as lactic acid they know they will produce Nitrates via a "well-established by science" chemical reaction that creates nitrates. The Nitrates are not an inherent part of ground meat, casings, and flavoring ingredients. It is different than the sugar content in apples. 

Our current (shockingly poor) food labeling laws allow food processors to claim that these products are "Nitrate-free"  (with fine print that says other than naturally found in celery juice) but they don't so state that their "Nitrate-free" products contain as many Nitrates (and sometimes more) than conventional cured products that list Nitrates.

We all have our pet-issues that provoke rage, this is one of mine.

Please understand my rant is directed only at those who abuse these labeling laws and those who've written them. 

When I discovered this fraud, I felt duped.

Bill

• Like 1