Menu

Sewing machine for beginner (child)

teachermom2834

I want to get my dd a sewing machine for Christmas. She will be 9.5 yrs by then.

I know nothing about sewing but she has had this interest for a long time. She taught herself to knit using YouTube and sews a variety of little creations by hand. She is very creative, motivated, and patient so I think she will figure out how to use it a little even though I am not much help :(

Can anyone recommend something good for a beginner? She obviously doesn't need anything extensive but I know sometimes with these things the cheapest models are more difficult to use. I am looking for something of enough quality to not cause frustration because it doesn't work properly.

I am fairly open minded about the budget. Ordering on Amazon is convenient for me but I can look elsewhere. Any recommendations for a good starter machine for a child? Any other tips for items a crafty little girl would enjoy with a new sewing machine?

Thank you!

I'm a quilter and most of my friends use a vintage Singer featherweight when we go to retreats. Some sew on them all the time. They are small, great for a little kid, with no bells or whistles, and it's easy to maintain.  Mine is from around 1950 and since I've had it, it's never let me down. It comes in a little carrying case. My granddaughters each used it this spring when they were visiting. They were 7 and 9 at the time.  

No, it's not new and shiny, but it will last forever. 

• Like 2

I agree that Janome would be a good buy. I bought the hello kitty 3/4 size machine when my dd was little and it was perfect. It can sew at a slower speed which made it a bit safer for a young person. We also have a full size machine that came with a great bundle of accessories bought from QVC during Christmas for a great price. They are great machines and you'll get many years of use out of them.

• Like 1

Brother, janome, or an vintage machine. One feature that helped my dd at the same age was a speed regulator switch. She has a brother and it has one. It slows the machine way down even if they push the foot peddle all the way down. They can speed it up a little more once they get the hang of it.

I wouldn't buy any other brands of cheap new machines. They have all been cheapened to the point that they are pretty unreliable.

• Like 5

Brother, janome, or an vintage machine. One feature that helped my dd at the same age was a speed regulator switch. She has a brother and it has one. It slows the machine way down even if they push the foot peddle all the way down. They can speed it up a little more once they get the hang of it.

I wouldn't buy any other brands of cheap new machines. They have all been cheapened to the point that they are pretty unreliable.

That does sound like a helpful feature. Thank you.

My Viking from the 1970s has the regulator switch, and it's GREAT for working with kids.

I just got a never-used Singer Futura 2 that I think has it -- I need to read the book and get it cleaned up -- the lack of use for the past few decades has done a number on it.

Another big fan of older machines for kids!  They can grow into them!

• Like 1

Used, from a local dealer who does repairs on-site.  You'll get more functionality and more reliability for your buck.  If you get a decent adult machine, it will be of service for many years to come.  It seems crazy to think years ahead for a nine-year-old, but sewing for fun at nine can easily lead to serious sewing by twenty, and a decent used machine will still be of service then.  $100 will get you a piece of junk new, and a quality machine used.

I would look for a machine with a zig-zag stitch, and if possible a speed regulator (though that wouldn't be a deal breaker for me).  (Do Featherweights have zig-zag?  I don't think my mom's does, but I could be wrong.)  Do not be tempted by machines with a lot of fancy stitches or attachments.  You can sew almost anything with the normal straight stitch and a zig-zag.  (Example - I just made myself an amazing bra, using just straight stitch and zig-zag on a vintage '70's Kenmore machine.)

Go to a local dealer and try out some machines.  I know you don't sew, but they should be able to show you how to do a basic stitch.  Try at least one machine over $400, so you get a sense of the difference between high and low end machines.  

Don't go overboard with additional tools.  A pack of needles, a spool of thread, a pair of scissors (to be used only for fabric and thread - no paper cutting!!!) and some of dad's old business shirts will provide all that's needed for some basic projects.  Your library will likely have some sewing books to get her started.

• Like 1

Thank you so much for all the suggestions! I am excited about doing this for her. We have never been a family that has gotten much use out of toys so I am happy to purchase her a useful tool for Christmas this year.

I am considering all the suggestions. I have looked at the Janome Hello Kitty machines. It appears they do not have a speed regulator but appear to go at a slower speed normally?

I do think I need something on the smaller side because I have seen advertisements for sewing camps and things that require you to bring your own machine. Looks like the Janome Hello Kitty and some of the other suggestions are small enough to work for that while still sturdy.

Thanks, all. My mom was actually an amazing seamstress (sewed my wedding dress) but I can do nothing. Maybe I can learn a little too with my daughter. Or maybe the creative streak totally skipped a generation. Lol.

• Like 1

Janome makes some nice machines, like the Gem, that are $200 or less that would last her a long time. I wouldn't hesitate to invest in a good machine, one with stitches, turtle speed, computerization, etc. at that age. She's old enough to know what she likes and to stick with it. You could invest $1k now and have it be a tool she'd use for a LONG TIME. My dd took her machine with her to college. It's my old Bernina, I think an 1130. The thing is built like a TANK. You could get into an older, tank machine like that, for probably $400 or less now I'll bet. It's from the 80s, but literally I had a warrantied repair on it a few years ago. I kid you not.

So buy good and buy MORE than what you think she needs. The better the machine, the more fun it is to sew on. You want something with a slow, gentle, even start, not gurgling and growling. If it starts smoothly and has a turtle speed, it will probably be fine. Cheap cheap machines tend to be plastic inside, have no turtle speed, and growl. They're just frustrating to sew on.

But really, Janome does make some economical ones that are very nice. If you buy it in a store, then you can return it if it's not satisfactory.

• Like 2