Menu

How do you store passwords?

Janeway

I have about 10 pages worth of passwords and security questions. I find it flustering to have to read through every single page every time I need a password. There has to be a better way. I start to feel anger toward criminals every time I have to search through all this paperwork. I actually have one place that requires changing the password every three months. I cannot access anything via the phone because I need to be upstairs where I store the passwords and have no children around me so I can go through all the paperwork in order to go find which ever random password. If I am upstairs, I might as well use my laptop. Every single account has a different user name and different password and different passcodes when passcodes are required and different security questions and so on.

Anyone have a better system?

• Like 1

I use OneNote. I made an address book type tab and then password protected it.

The kids use a password book that is similar to an address book.

I use OneNote with a passworded file as well. I store passwords (including the kids' passwords for their accounts), Christmas shopping lists, and notes about meds in that file.

• Like 1

So you all store your passwords on your computers? Isn't that kind of dangerous? I thought we were supposed to store a hard copy, away from the area the computer is kept, in case of theft. And since computers can be hacked, off the computer itself. 

• Like 1

I've memorized the ones that could be risky (there are only a few -- bank and credit cards, Amazon).  

I have a secretly named spreadsheet in my computer for my low-risk passwords (for online stores, utilities, etc).  I don't store my credit card information on online stores.  If someone were to break into my house, steal my computer, and search through all my thousands of files, they might find out that I bought a skirt from Sahali.com, but they won't know how I paid for it.  I don't consider this a high-level risk.

• Like 2

So you all store your passwords on your computers? Isn't that kind of dangerous? I thought we were supposed to store a hard copy, away from the area the computer is kept, in case of theft. And since computers can be hacked, off the computer itself. 

My husband works in IT and while not a security expert by any means, it's an area he likes to dabble in for fun.  He's fine with me saving things on my computer.  But (and I don't know if this makes a difference) he has 2 firewalls and the password for one is something like 50 characters long.  Even so I sometimes forget to save something and have to do the reset process,  It's still a pain.

• Like 2

I use paper.  But I have a system for passwords, and you know all those ones that you have to use just to SEE the website, or to do anything even if it non-financial?  I have a standard password for all of those.  So my password book is about 3 pages long, and 2 of those pages are just the list of the Standard Setup Sites.  

I photocopy the pages and send them to my BFF about every 6 months.  She throws the unopened envelope in her safe.  I keep my password book in my safe.  It's accessible to me, but if dh and I were to die simultaneously, it would not be accessible to anyone until all the legal work had been done.   That's why my BFF gets the list.  

I have been using the Free version of the LastPass Password Manager for (I think) several years now. It makes life much easier and I can go to the different web sites I visit much more quickly with LastPass.  There are sites that I visit daily, sometimes multiple times a day, and others I might not visit for months.

There are other Free Password Managers but I think LastPass is the most popular. Not sure about that.

Here's the URL:   https://www.lastpass.com/

P.S. I have a "Pass Phrase" that I use to get into LastPass.  I have it installed as a Plug In or Extension to the Google Chrome web browser and the Mozilla Firefox web browser. My machines are Windows 7, but I think it will work on Windows, Apple, Android, etc.

Nope, a hard copy is one of the least secure things you can do, second only to repeating passwords. OnePassword is an ecrypted database that is accessed by a unique master password. You only have to remember that one. They are encrypted in the program, itself, on top of the security to get into it.

If you computer or phone are stolen, nobody is getting your passwords unless you have told them or written down the master password. It's not even vulnerable on public wifi networks because the password encrypts prior to any syncing with devices and is only input locally.

The encryption is not a simplistic one either - even my server running, FreeBSD security nut spouse is satisfied with the level of protection we have. And every website I access has a unique password, ID and security questions answers, because I just have to copy them over from the app. That means if one site falls nobody is accessing other data from me in the breach. I also keep my banking info in there, credit cards, utility accounts, socials, birthdays, etc. Nobody can read them without my unique log in, and even if the main site for OnePassword was cracked and the databases raided the information on them has multiple stages encryption and the encryption keys aren't stored on the same server.

Better than Fort Knox. And I just have to remember one long, extremely secure unique password to access it. Easy.