Menu

How long do you allow for grocery shopping?

Ausmumof3

Anywhere between 20-60 minutes, since some stores have less of the items I need than others. That doesn't include drive time or unloading them at home either.

It probably took me 15 minutes to gather my purchases, and then however long the line was.  I would budget 30 minutes for the grocery shopping because of variations.  Though, when I had two tots with me, I had to include time for them to use the bathroom pretty often.  :P  And I would bring food so we could combine errands and eat in between.

My favorite grocery store had a cafe upstairs, and at the time I normally shopped, there was often live music up there, so we'd go sit and listen for a while.  I'm not counting that in the half hour. :P

Library would be at least 20 minutes since the kids would want to play in there.  My favorite library had a park right next door, so we would combine those whenever possible.

We live 5 minutes from the grocery store, and I usually give myself 90 minutes to drive there, shop, drive home, unload the car, and put away the groceries. I could probably make it in an hour if I had to, but I don't like to be rushed. 

Our library trips either take less than 5 minutes or over an hour. There doesn't seem to be a middle ground. 

• Like 1

This thread reminds me how once when I was babysitting a neighbor's three tots in addition to my own four I took all seven kidlets with me to Jewel (had no choice) and had them hold hangs in a long chain...and they were young enough to enjoy singing Do Re Mi from Sound of Music as we weaved through the aisles. 

• Like 2

If I let them, my kids would stay at the library all day.  I usually limit a browsing trip to an hour, and if there are specific books I want, I put them on hold so pick up takes 5 minutes.  

The grocery in-and-out time is 30-60 minutes depending on how much I need, how collected my brain is, and how the kids are behaving.  I day I think we hit our storage unit and two grocery stores and home again in 90 minutes.  But all of that is within a 10 mile radius (suburbs).  30-40 minutes of that was driving time, and I didn't need much at either store.  But we haven't gotten much of anything else done today, so there's the trade off.   :D

It takes 1 to 1 1/2 hours to do our big weekly shopping. That's with just dh and I doing it. Sometimes we go to the grocery store and the vegetable market, other times it's just the grocery store. Plus a 20 minute drive each way. Occasionally we have a small list and will only spend 30 minutes shopping, but it's rare.

It is too variable.  I haven't got one store where I can buy everything.  I buy this at Aldi, that at the "regular" grocery store, and the other at the "nice" grocery store.  If I have a long and varied list that does not contain any fresh items (vegetables, dairy, meat), I will go to Walmart where I swear it takes 2 hours no matter what.  

What is it with Walmart??? It always takes me 2 hours to get in and out of there, too! I think in my case it's because I'm kind of squirrelly and easily distractible. I go in for a gallon of milk and I end up with a cartful of stuff from all over the store, and then I get back home and realize I forgot the milk.

• Like 1

I am so proud of myself.

I was in and out of Walmart in one hour, with three kids-including Luna scream-whining "MommeeeeMommeeeeMomeeee" continuously the entire time, with tears streaming down her face towards the end, and searching all over for Jay's medicine, which was sold out  :glare:  and changing up our usual breakfast fare for high fiber options, which I've never shopped for before. Also swapped out one of Jay's supplements for a new kind. Without a list  :ohmy: And the boys needed multiple, lengthy bathroom stops :rolleyes:  

• Like 1