Menu

Sedona and Flagstaff, Az road trip this week advice

Mabelen

We are spending 2 nights at each place. We have some plans but we still need advice for the remaining time.

Day 1 we will arrive to Flagstaff mid to late afternoon.

Day 2 we are doing a day trip to Grand Canyon.

Day 3 at some point we will drive the scenic route down to Sedona.

Day 4 we would like to spend time at one of the natural water slides and celebrate my husband's birthday at a nice restaurant.

Day 5 we will have some time in the morning before heading back home.

Please help me fill the gaps. There are 4 of us, 3 adults and 1 young teen. We are relatively in good shape and enjoy moderate hikes but not in the sweltering heat. We know it's going to be very hot in Sedona. I know about the beautiful scenery. I checked out the jeep tours, but I would rather not spend over $400.00. What do you guys recommend?

• Like 1

We have spent a lot of time in that area.

Wukoki and Wupatki are favorites of ours, and linked to sunset crater. If you're interested, that's a good side trip on the way to the Grand Canyon from Sedona.

Walnut Canyon is another favorite, I think that would be on the way to Sedona for you.

Slide Rock is not to be missed!

There is a Mexican restaurant in Sedona, ummmm, I can't recall the name but it's large, in the main area, with a dining veranda. Avoid it. I had the worst case of food poisoning from that place, and the ER doc said it's common. They may have closed by now, but ouch!

Edited by Spryte
  • Like 1

We are spending 2 nights at each place. We have some plans but we still need advice for the remaining time.

Day 1 we will arrive to Flagstaff mid to late afternoon.

Day 2 we are doing a day trip to Grand Canyon.

Day 3 at some point we will drive the scenic route down to Sedona.

Day 4 we would like to spend time at one of the natural water slides and celebrate my husband's birthday at a nice restaurant.

Day 5 we will have some time in the morning before heading back home.

Please help me fill the gaps. There are 4 of us, 3 adults and 1 young teen. We are relatively in good shape and enjoy moderate hikes but not in the sweltering heat. We know it's going to be very hot in Sedona. I know about the beautiful scenery. I checked out the jeep tours, but I would rather not spend over $400.00. What do you guys recommend?

I used to live in Flagstaff!

In Flagstaff, you could do the Skyride up Snowbowl for some amazing views without the hike.

At Grand Canyon, you should see the IMAX.

If you drive Hwy 89 south to Sedona, you can stop at Midgely Bridge before Sedona for some light hiking.  Slide Rock is a blast, but busy.  And frequently closed in July-August because the tourists pee & poop in the water. :eek:  I wish I could recommend a restaurant in Sedona, but it's been a long time...maybe Tlaquepaque?

A few other ideas:

There are a gazillion hikes in Sedona worth taking.  You could check out Wilson Mountain, Grasshopper Point, West Fork, or East Fork.

Jerome is such a cool ghost town, and fun to explore.

You could drive Schnebly Hill Road yourself and not pay for the jeep tour?  Will you have 4WD?  Will you have mountain bikes? 

Be prepared for torrential downpours in July and August.  And dangerous flooding in Oak Creek Canyon.

• Like 1

Watch out for Deer when you are driving. One of my cousins hit one in a that area. They spent extra days there so their car could be fixed so they could drive back to Texas. Enjoy the trip!

Sent from my SM-G355M using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I was born and raised in Flagstaff. Since you only have the afternoon, historic downtown is a lot of fun to walk. There are great little shops there. The old railroad station is right nearby too. Some great places to eat and/or have coffee in Flagstaff are Brandy's http://brandysrestaurant.com/, Jitters http://jitterslunchbox.com/lunch/, or The Campus Coffee Bean http://www.campuscoffebean.com/menu. These have great breakfast/salad/sandwich fare. 

Now I may be bias, but in my mind the must eat at place in Sedona is The Hideaway http://www.sedonahideawayhouse.com/. This is Italian food. Again I may be bias, since I have gone there every time I have gone to Sedona since I was an infant. I am told, the first time I went there I was in an infant carrier. Though truly the food is yummy! If you go there you must eat on one of the decks so that you can enjoy the views. Slide Rock is fun, but very busy! I personally prefer Grasshopper Point. Tlaquepaque Village has beautiful surrounding and great places for pictures https://www.tlaq.com/.

Have a great time on your trip!

• Like 1

We loved Sedona! A totally corny but super fun evening is Blazin' M Ranch. We all really enjoyed it and the food was surprisingly good. We hiked Cathedral Rock while we were there, a moderate hike with awesome views Hopefully it won't be too hot when you go. We heard good things about the jeep rides, but they are pricey, so we didn't do one.

Grand Canyon was also great. Finding good food was tough. I think our best meal was at El Tovar, but it was expensive :( Try to do some of the ranger programs. They really are very interesting and you learn a lot. We especially liked the talk about the condors. They also had a Native American dance show, which was great. We hiked down to the first rest stop on Bright Angel Trail. Definitely hike with Camelbaks if you have them--you need a ton of water on those hikes because of the heat. And we went in the spring! Have a great trip!

• Like 1

We went to Sedona today!  We drove mostly, and hiked just a little.  We had driven from Albuquerque though and we were TIRED.

We are now in Phoenix to see my parents, who are too sick to see us today, and may be tomorrow too.  UGH.

Just waving and following the thread.

• Like 2

I am just quickly posting to say thank you. I will look at all the suggestions. We don't have 4 wheel drive, so I guess the only options to see the Sedona landmarks are to park and hike or get a jeep, right? We will be in Sedona mid week. The forecast is dry and hot. Please keep the ideas coming!

Edited by Mabelen

A jeep tour was the highlight of our time in Sedona, because for some reason some of my kids were in awful moods that day. The jeep tour was different enough to change the dynamics in a way nothing else did. Hopefully, you do not have that issue, but I wanted to let you know there are cheaper jeep tours available than the $100 a person you mentioned (assuming I did the math right.) We used groupon and were pleased with the company we used. (I don't remember the name, because I read about a bunch of different operators.

This company mentions jeep rides for $30 a person. http://www.sedonajeeptours.com/tour-specials

Have a great time. Sedona is a place I would like to go back with more time and happier travel companions.

Something we loved in AZ was Antelope Canyon. I can't remember how far it was from Flagstaff, because we drove it at night. I assume it may be cooler than other options, since it is underground.

• Like 1

I always recommend Lowell's observatory and a tour of the Reardon House to those headed for Flagstaff.

As LC said we also did the Jeep tour around Sedona if you need more gap fillers. :)

enjoy your trip. Be aware that nearly every afternoon the monsoon rain comes with a nice little thunderstorm - lasts about 10-20 minutes and then it's all over again.

• Like 2

I always recommend Lowell's observatory and a tour of the Reardon House to those headed for Flagstaff.

As LC said we also did the Jeep tour around Sedona if you need more gap fillers. :)

enjoy your trip. Be aware that nearly every afternoon the monsoon rain comes with a nice little thunderstorm - lasts about 10-20 minutes and then it's all over again.

Oh Yes! definitely the Reardon House!

• Like 1

Just a little heads-up, it's called Riordan Mansion in case you have trouble finding information.

Antelope Canyon is an above ground slot canyon in Page, which is on the AZ-UT border, about five hours north of Flagstaff.

And I know I said this before, but many times the afternoon monsoon storm is not a nice little shower. You really should be prepared for torrential downpours (doesn't happen every day, but often). An extended family of ten was killed a few days ago, caught unaware by a flash flood. Every year people die when they underestimate the monsoon storms. Just be wise! It doesn't have to be raining where you are for you to get caught in a flash flood.

• Like 1

The airport in Sedona is a great place to go to watch the setting sun light up all the red rocks. It is very pretty.  There are a lot of shops in Sedona that carry unique things. Granted you probably can't afford any of it but it is really fun to look.

We enjoyed Walnut Canyon near Flagstaff and seeing how the indians lived in the walls of the canyon back in the day.

If you want to do extra driving, we loved Monument Valley but don't go with out reservations for the night as lodging is few and far between.

Can't help with restaurants as we rented an rv and did all our own cooking.

• Like 1