Menu

Root canals?

Janie Grace

My ds knocked a tooth out last night. It's back in place and splinted. The ER dentist said he would have to have a root canal (and his regular dentist confirmed this via text).

What's the deal with root canals? I know some people who think they are horrible. They poison your body maybe? Not sure what the issue is (and I only slept 3 hours so bear with me) but can you weigh in if you know anything about root canals? Do I need to be researching alternatives or is this pretty standard and safe? It's a front bottom tooth if that matters. And I am of the vaccinating, fluoride-accepting camp (just FYI)...

Yes, some people think that the meds they put in the canal can leak out a little at a time, and cause health issues.  If you vaccinate and etc, you probably wouldn't agree with that.  Personally, I feel like it's an idea to blame random health issues on.  

I am not a dentist, but I understand that the root canal will save the tooth, that will otherwise very likely die without it.  Considering what you'd do if he were missing that tooth, and if you prefer that option to a root canal, will easily help you decide what to do.

• Like 2

Well, I think they are horrible, but I don't think it is that they poison anything.  If you need one, you really need it.

It is that they are reaming out the pulpy inside of your tooth, which is very sensitive - it is the nerve.  It also take a while, and the noice and motion is kind of terrible.  They stick files down into your tooth to ream out the inside, then pack it with stuff so bad things can't grow in there.  It's kind of a violent procedure.

I am probably worse off than many though, as I don't freeze well, and there are often a few times they need to go back after I nearly go through the roof.  So I am very tense for the whole dental procedure.

Some people don't mind them nearly so much.

I've had a couple, mine were just like having a regular filling they just take a lot longer and there's more numbing. The jaw will be sore for a few days because the mouth is open for a long time.

I don't believe any of stuff about them being harmful.

Is this an adult tooth?

• Like 1

It is that they are reaming out the pulpy inside of your tooth, which is very sensitive - it is the nerve.  It also take a while, and the noice and motion is kind of terrible.  They stick files down into your tooth to ream out the inside, then pack it with stuff so bad things can't grow in there.  It's kind of a violent procedure.

What do you mean by "so bad"?

I think by "so" she means "in order that" rather than as an adverb to bad.

• Like 1

Ds knocked a tooth out (actually several) when he was 2 and the one that was loose but not knocked out didn't make it. I guess see first if the tooth actually survives. I can't imagine they're doing this any time soon.

The procedure itself can be really overwhelming and scary to some people. My dh still has bad memories, while I just took a nap, no biggee. 

As far as the health concerns, to me, as someone who's really into that, the question is was their infection. I decided to have a root canal on a tooth that was calcifying and dying. There was no infection, no long term health danger (to my mind), from retaining the tooth. The *theory* is that bits of retained infection fester and cause health problems down the road.

Since there's no infection, I would just follow their advice and hope for the best! Definitely pursue what he needs to be comfortable, if he's very sensitive. The procedure takes a while. On the plus side, the $$$ practice I went to uses warm water. It's the little things...

Basically, in order to save the tooth, they need to remove the nerve because likely it's going to die and can cause an infection.  With the nerve out, there is little risk of that happening.  Are they planning on a crown in the future?  Normally after a root canal, they will place a crown.  I would ask about that.

Nothing to worry about.  My dd12 had a partial root canal at age 9 when her sister tossed a hard ball at her face and broke her front tooth out. The tooth root continued to form and will need a complete root canal before a crown when she is 18ish.

How old is your ds?  If the tooth was placed back in, it may or may not stay put.  If it doesn't you are looking at an implant or a bridge.  It really depends on age.  DDS won't want to do that at a young age.  If it does stay put, a root canal will be necessary.  It will most likely darken.  Sometimes internal bleaching can lighten them up a bit.  Many people end up having a crown.  Again, it really depends on his age.

I have had a few and they really aren't that terrible. The worst one I had was on a back molar and the dental dam and length of the appointment was uncomfortable but manageable. I had one failed root canal and that was a party. That one was converted into an implant because it just couldn't be saved. I really dislike the dentist but I have been there too many times due to less than stellar teeth genetics.

When you need a root canal, they can be a wonderful thing.

I went from constant level 6 tooth pain to zero pain afterwards when the anesthetic wore off. I honestly felt no pain during the procedure once the anesthetic went to work- just some pressure.

My FIL is a dentist. The horror stories you typically hear about root canals are when you wait too long to have the procedure done and there is and infection/abcess etc. Those are painful procedures/recovery. A typical root canal is no big deal. It is usually best to have a root canal sooner rather than later.

• Like 2