Menu

Grade 6 Lang/Gram/Writing?

I was planning to use CLE through grade 6 with my 11 year old, and then considered that perhaps we should switch now before the never ending workbook pages slowly rip away the joy of my life.

I love CLE for the younger grades, but the older grades make me want to pull my eyeballs out.

Anyway, what's everyone using for grade 6 these days? Thanks!

I have a rising 4th grader and a rising 8th grader (also younger) but I'm using Modsos for the lit portion of their language arts and likely will continue using that for 6th. The Hive has some topics in the forum on Mosdos if you want to learn more. We also like Well Ordered Language (grammar program from Classical Academic Press) and for writing IEW, Writing With Style, CAP and Killgallon.

With DD #1 (rising 4th grader) I used CLE for language arts in 2nd grade and, although she admits she learned and retained quite a bit, this gentle girl was ready to revolt by spring. I was asked to "please, please never use CLE language arts again." <grin>. Her brother (rising 8th), on the other hand, thrives on repetition and very clear-cut instruction and will be doing CLE Algebra I this fall.

• Like 1

Dd is doing mct and writing across the curriculum a la wtm.

She did just finish a poetry unit which was mainly from Classical writing in lieu of other writing. That was 6 weeks worth and ended with entering a poetry competition.

• Like 1

I tried CLE LA a couple times in the past, and for some reason just didn't end up loving it as much as the math.  Anyway, I was posting to let you know I remember a thread here once (actually on the Logic Stage board) where several people lamented the intensity of CLE LA 600.  Fwiw, I think at least one of them said even 700 wasn't as bad.  So, yeah, probably a great time to switch! 

• Like 1

I tried CLE LA a couple times in the past, and for some reason just didn't end up loving it as much as the math. Anyway, I was posting to let you know I remember a thread here once (actually on the Logic Stage board) where several people lamented the intensity of CLE LA 600. Fwiw, I think at least one of them said even 700 wasn't as bad. So, yeah, probably a great time to switch!

I dragged my son through 600. We quit about half way through 700. My rising 6th grader could probably handle 600 with less misery, but I think it's time to move on.

• Like 1

We used ELTL last year for 6th grade and the only thing I would add to that would be writing because I didn't feel it explicitly taught anything for writing (just had writing assignments.) My son needed more instruction but your child may not.

Edited by blue daisy
  • Like 1

Grammar: Essentials in Writing 5 (we're a year behind...otherwise it would be 6), along with Spectrum for practice.

Composition: Essentials in Writing 5

Vocab/Spelling: Word Roots

Literature: Literature guides for Anne of Green Gables, Little Lord Fauntleroy (as of right now), and Bridge to Terabithia.  

****All subject to change at the last moment, because of course.  

• Like 1