Menu

Supper/dinner here's something funny...

MommyLiberty5013

In MN they play duck, duck, grey duck

NOT

Duck, duck, goose.

We moved here in 2012 and I was like, "Whhhaaat?!?" But now I love it. It's Minnesota Nice.

Yes!! I'm from MN , moved to Michigan and had to relearn the kids game.

When I was young, we would have to name a color, red duck, blue duck, pink duck, green duck, etc. That appears to be very local to my area.

It makes the list of " you know you're in MN" kind of things.

Very true. My dh says it makes it a far superior game because you can fake out the other kids by saying another color instead ---

duck

duck

duck

red duck

duck

duck

gr . . . . een duck

:lol:

No plain ducks! Every duck has a color!

• Like 1

Interesting. That would trip me up. Seems like a mouthful compared to "goose."

When we were kids living in Montreal, Canada we learned this for Halloween. "Trick or treat, smell my feet, give me something good to eat. Not too big, not too small, just the size of Montreal."

Aw, you don't have to live in Montreal for that one! We grew up saying that out west, too :)
  • Like 2

In MN they play duck, duck, grey duck

NOT

Duck, duck, goose.

We moved here in 2012 and I was like, "Whhhaaat?!?" But now I love it. It's Minnesota Nice.

This tends to be more common among the Minnesotans of Scandinavian decent.  Those of us of more Germanic decent still played Duck Duck Goose.  Aside from the name there are one or two other differences to the games, as well.

• Like 1

When we were kids living in Montreal, Canada we learned this for Halloween. "Trick or treat, smell my feet, give me something good to eat. Not too big, not too small, just the size of Montreal."

We used to just say "If you don't, I don't care, I'll pull down your underwear". Actually, we said that a lot.

"Not too big, not too small, just the size of a basketball" - that was the size of the baby in the baby carriage, the one that appears when two people are sitting in a tree, k-i-s-s-i-n-g.

Interesting. That would trip me up. Seems like a mouthful compared to "goose."

That must be Canada wide because we said that here in BC when I was a child. :)

• Like 1

Yes! It was very odd the first few times!

Did you notice as well that in MN you don't "cut" in line, you "budge"? That took a bit to get used to hearing from kids. [emoji4]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It drove me nuts when kids would say "budge" when I was a kid! I'm from upstate NY - these "budgers" were from Away. [emoji38]

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk