Menu

So...you are heading to convention....

Yes! Is that the one you're going to?????

Yep!!  I live in the mountains, so we are dropping the kids with the in-laws and making the trek east!  :)  I went two years ago but didn't go last year.  I'm looking forward to it and planning now.  I still need stuff for next year, so we have a lot to research and look at.  It is nice to have a purpose....two years ago I didn't "need" anything, but got a TON of encouragement and spent a bit too much money. ;-)  

I've only been to two, just for the vendor halls, but I learned with the second one to go to Rainbow Resource first if I'm planning on purchasing because the popular stuff sells out. The last conference I went to, just a few weeks ago, I was planning on purchasing AAR 3 (sold out), Zaner Bloser 2M/2C (I purchased the last ones, but needed two) and AAS 2 (sold out). I know I can buy online and get free shipping (with a $50 purchase) but I was kind of excited to get my hands on them at the event. Of course I found enough other things at their tables to make up for it!

Yep!!  I live in the mountains, so we are dropping the kids with the in-laws and making the trek east!   :)  I went two years ago but didn't go last year.  I'm looking forward to it and planning now.  I still need stuff for next year, so we have a lot to research and look at.  It is nice to have a purpose....two years ago I didn't "need" anything, but got a TON of encouragement and spent a bit too much money. ;-)  

I live in VA Beach, so I'm coming from the opposite direction. Kids are staying home with hubby!

You know you can search the Used Curriculum Sale, right? It doesn't show prices, but you can see if something should be there and which section. Go here and look for the Search box. It's small!  https://ucs.heav.org

• Like 2

I've only been to two, just for the vendor halls, but I learned with the second one to go to Rainbow Resource first if I'm planning on purchasing because the popular stuff sells out. The last conference I went to, just a few weeks ago, I was planning on purchasing AAR 3 (sold out), Zaner Bloser 2M/2C (I purchased the last ones, but needed two) and AAS 2 (sold out). I know I can buy online and get free shipping (with a $50 purchase) but I was kind of excited to get my hands on them at the event. Of course I found enough other things at their tables to make up for it!

So funny....last night I listed out the booths we have to go to as soon as the exhibit hall opens.  Number 1?  Rainbow Resource.  Then today I got an email from them. I had inquired about Beast Academy being there and the guy wrote back and said it would be, but I should be there early to get my hands on it.   I told him it was literally the FIRST thing on my list!  RR is a great booth, but yes....the popular stuff goes quickly!!

So funny....last night I listed out the booths we have to go to as soon as the exhibit hall opens.  Number 1?  Rainbow Resource.  Then today I got an email from them. I had inquired about Beast Academy being there and the guy wrote back and said it would be, but I should be there early to get my hands on it.   I told him it was literally the FIRST thing on my list!  RR is a great booth, but yes....the popular stuff goes quickly!!

I also agree about hitting up Rainbow first.  I was just at my conference and had a list of about 10 things I needed from them.  In years past I've been able to get everything.  This year, they no longer had (or when I inquired didn't even bring) any of my items!  I had been just under the $50 mark for the free shipping which was why I wanted to buy there vs ordering online.  Oh and it's always fun coming home with curriculum from the convention.  It was the same experience of several friends too.  Not sure if it was just my convention like this or others as well.  

If there's a used sale, I'd probably got there first since I'm ok with buying as much as I can used!  Then Rainbow :)

Yes, HEAV!!! By myself two whole days in a hotel with room service and with the kiddies staying home with hubby. I've made my lists and am ready to shop!  I want Beast Academy too and will head directly for it as some guides were sold out under me last year!

Thanks for the tip about searching the Used Curriculum sale online—I didn't know that was possible.

If you order at a convention from RR, they will give you free shipping on anything you order there, even if under the $50. 

• Like 1

At convention, I always go to Rod and Staff first. That is where I always get our core curriculum. I buy the math, English, and Spelling, and any replacement workbooks and test booklets and I use their blank teacher planner books, one per each student per year. If I have any preschoolers I use their preschool ABC workbooks. Now that my oldest is in high school I don't need that much new every year anymore. All I need for her from there is the English 9/10 which I have already. She doesn't need spelling anymore and has finished their math and uses other maths now. And I have all of her old textbooks for the middle schooler. So this year I just needed some replacement worksheets for English and a planner and the preschool workbooks for my preschooler. I remember when my load from Rod and Staff for each year was a big heavy stack of student and teacher books each year. 

Then I usually need to go to Rainbow Resource. If they carry other things I need it will be cheapest there, plus free shipping. Ours doesn't have a used curriculum area. I wish it did. I would start there before any of this if so.  I always go then to Miller Pads and Paper and restock on all our paper needs: graph paper, construction paper, sketch books, large construction paper that we use as posters whenever anything calls for making a poster. 

Then I usually cruise places I have heard of and want to check out.  Our convention usually has some sort of contest if you visit so many booths and listen to them talk then you get a card punched and then can enter your card into a drawing. I have learned about new things I like from those. 

But mostly I do this between workshops. I really go to learn at the workshops. Some are just for encouragement. But I go to as many workshops as I can that apply to my students or to classes I like or curriculum I am interested in. So that takes up most of my time. 

Well, when I go to convention my top two priorities are....(1) making sure I have a nice hotel room with BFF so we can stay up late mulling through the literature we collected and binge watching Hawaii 5-0 while eating ice cream straight from the carton; and (2) scoping out a good restaurant to eat out at that night. 😜

Then, when we hit the exhibit hall... we make a general overview first before we purchase anything. I love Rod & Staff's booth, and I always visit Lamplighters because they have such good stories on CD to keep in the car. I usually renew my HSLDA membership during convention. YWAM has a nice booth and we read their "Christian Heroes Now and Then" series, so I try to pick up some books there, too.

Edited by KrissiK
  • Like 3

Well, when I go to convention my top two priorities are....(1) making sure I have a nice hotel room with BFF so we can stay up late mulling through the literature we collected and binge watching Hawaii 5-0 while eating ice cream straight from the carton; and (2) scoping out a good restaurant to eat out at that night. 😜

Then, when we hit the exhibit hall... we make a general overview first before we purchase anything. I love Rod & Staff's booth, and I always visit Lamplighters because they have such good stories on CD to keep in the car. I usually renew my HSLDA membership during convention. YWAM has a nice booth and we read their "Christian Heroes Now and Then" series, so I try to pick up some books there, too.

A couple of years ago, I went to a convention and stayed in a hotel room BY MYSELF. I watched HGTV and ate ice cream while I was in bed. It. Was. Glorious.  :thumbup1:

• Like 5

A couple of years ago, I went to a convention and stayed in a hotel room BY MYSELF. I watched HGTV and ate ice cream while I was in bed. It. Was. Glorious. :thumbup1:

That sounds amazing. I would be tempted to skip the conferences and hang out in my room in my pj's all day!

• Like 3

You all are cracking me up!  I've got some girlfriends who always go together.  My husband and I enjoy it though.  He is really helpful helping me think things through and this year especially I have some major decisions to make (MATH!) for my 7 year old, so I'm looking forward to having him help.  Also...he carries the loot.  :)  

• Like 2

You all are cracking me up!  I've got some girlfriends who always go together.  My husband and I enjoy it though.  He is really helpful helping me think things through and this year especially I have some major decisions to make (MATH!) for my 7 year old, so I'm looking forward to having him help.  Also...he carries the loot.   :)

I bought a rolling shopping bag to bring with me!!!

I'm a math teacher, so shoot me a message if you want input :)

SaveSave

Edited by scbusf
  • Like 1

I'm in my convention hotel room right now in bed and watching cable......but NO ice cream, darn it!!!! I did have a very nice hamburger and salad though. And it's QUIET = bliss.

I'm exhausted from about seven hours of shopping in the used curriculum sale and exhibit hall. Getting up early tomorrow to do it all over again <grin>

• Like 3

Which booth do you hit first? Which curriculum are you dying to get your hands on? The used curriculum sale is about the size of a football field....what type of things do you hunt for there?

Any other convention tips? Tis the season....

Thanks!

I went straight to Rainbow Resources because they have the most variety and things that I was looking for.

I have a working list of curriculum plans for each child. I decide what I actually need first so I can take them home. Then, I see what I want to review to make decisions. Lastly, I peruse the entire vendor hall to take a look at what's out there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I went to CHAP last year with friends, and we had a blast. We wandered around in pairs or a group, looking at all the pretty books. The second day, we had all signed up for a volunteer shift together, so we got reimbursed for our entry fees.

I look at the used sale for cheap novels that are on my kids' reading list, as well as stuff that people in my local support group like. Saxon is popular, so I've collected free or cheap editions of that over the years. It really helps to have a specific list of titles or at least to know you are looking for something specific, like "third grade cursive" or "kindergarten art."

I hit up Miller Pads and Paper because I usually just need a few specific things, and their shipping is pretty high for a couple of packs of paper. They're really nice

We won't discuss how many times I visited the Veritas Press booth last year and how I wanted ALL THE BOOKS, LOL! Those tidy racks of books are just so inviting.

CAP is local to me, and they were super friendly and fun to talk to, plus they had a fantastic convention sale.

Rainbow gets a humongous set of booths at CHAP and is always crowded, so I popped in and out a few times.

If you'll be buying a lot of stuff, take a wheeled suitcase or something or pay for book check. I only bought a few things, so my backpack was fine.

Oh, and I took deodorant and reapplied it a couple of times the second day because it was so very warm. Find out if you can bring water or food in. CHAP's location didn't allow outside food or drinks, and their food court was expensive.

I went to CHAP last year with friends, and we had a blast. We wandered around in pairs or a group, looking at all the pretty books. The second day, we had all signed up for a volunteer shift together, so we got reimbursed for our entry fees.

I look at the used sale for cheap novels that are on my kids' reading list, as well as stuff that people in my local support group like. Saxon is popular, so I've collected free or cheap editions of that over the years. It really helps to have a specific list of titles or at least to know you are looking for something specific, like "third grade cursive" or "kindergarten art."

I hit up Miller Pads and Paper because I usually just need a few specific things, and their shipping is pretty high for a couple of packs of paper. They're really nice

We won't discuss how many times I visited the Veritas Press booth last year and how I wanted ALL THE BOOKS, LOL! Those tidy racks of books are just so inviting.

CAP is local to me, and they were super friendly and fun to talk to, plus they had a fantastic convention sale.

Rainbow gets a humongous set of booths at CHAP and is always crowded, so I popped in and out a few times.

If you'll be buying a lot of stuff, take a wheeled suitcase or something or pay for book check. I only bought a few things, so my backpack was fine.

Oh, and I took deodorant and reapplied it a couple of times the second day because it was so very warm. Find out if you can bring water or food in. CHAP's location didn't allow outside food or drinks, and their food court was expensive.

CHAP was in the Lancaster County Convention Center this year.  It was a little crowded and not as many of the known vendors, but it was a great time!  And they allow you to take your own food in there.  It was nice to stay in the Marriott, which was the same building as the convention.  We parked Thurs. and never went to the van until we left Sat.!

Pam

• Like 1

CHAP was in the Lancaster County Convention Center this year. It was a little crowded and not as many of the known vendors, but it was a great time! And they allow you to take your own food in there. It was nice to stay in the Marriott, which was the same building as the convention. We parked Thurs. and never went to the van until we left Sat.!

Pam

Nice! I opted not to go because Lancaster is a lot farther for me than Harrisburg, and I didn't really need anything to justify the time and money.

Nice! I opted not to go because Lancaster is a lot farther for me than Harrisburg, and I didn't really need anything to justify the time and money.

It was a little farther for me, too (5 1/2 hr. drive), but I go as a vendor for ECHSDA (Erie County Home School Diploma Association).  My DIL goes with me and we take turns at our booth and looking around.

Pam

Edited by wehave8
  • Like 1