Menu

Music appreciation for car rides?

Hi there, we're going to be spending a lot of time in the car next year, so I'd like to do some light music appreciation while driving from place to place. My son will be 6 and is mildly interested. This might sound redundant, but is there something that I can purchase that is strictly audio? Something that teaches you about what you are listening to before or after you listen to it? 

Thank you!

Yes, we enjoyed this and also the Classical Kids CD's.

My kids LOVE Beethoven Lives Upstairs. One of the Amazon reviews says it's "rowdy," and I would agree. They like the audio version even better than the video.

I also think the Beethoven's Wig series is quite clever, as mentioned above.

And the Classics for Kids podcasts-- there are free accompanying lesson plans on their website if you're interested. My kids will listen to these over and over.

In addition to Peter and the Wolf, Carnival of the Animals is another great symphony for kids (and like Peter, you can probably find a pretty book to accompany it).

Maestro Classics are another great option, and I believe on Amazon you can purchase individual MP3s for a dollar apiece, so if you wanted to sample it before splurging on a CD, that can be a good way to do so. (Their website also has TONS of samples you can listen to, which is awesome if your kids are as picky about the voices they will tolerate for audio narration as mine are. And it can help you choose between stories.)

Finally, I do make my own playlists of songs that are appealing to young kids, memorable, and will pop up elsewhere so they can say "AHA." (In the Hall of the Mountain King from Grieg's Peer Gynt, Orpheus in the Underworld, Mozart's Rage Over a Lost Penny, and of course Beethoven's 5th so they can go a little wild-- these are some of their favorites.)

I love listening to classical music on the radio, too, but the one thing I find is that they try not to repeat the same music frequently on the our wonderful classical station-- perfect for an adult like me who loves variety and new finds--, whereas for my little kids, they enjoy it the most and get the most out of it if they hear a single piece repeated very frequently over the course of a month or months. They need something in the style of a pop music station where they might not LOVE something the first time they hear it, but they begin to recognize it and feel comfortable with it and then before they realize it...it's one of their favorite songs.

• Like 2

Also, Maestro Classics. They're great because they give a bit of explanation. There is curriculum that goes along with it (included with purchase), but you could use that at a later time, or not at all. Listening and exposure have the most value, and you don't want to overwhelm your sons enthusiasm [emoji445]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You've gotten some great suggestions. This CD is fantastic: Bernstein Favorites: Children's Classics. My kids are all nutty over it - it has Peter and the Wolf, Carnival of the Animals, and The Young Person's Guide to the Orchestra. We have probably listened to it at least 100 times in the car, and no one is tired of it. Go figure.

We've also enjoyed the Classical Kids CD's. They're audio dramas with the composer's music in the background. There's not really any explanation about the pieces (a few here and there, maybe) but they're excellent exposure to music in general and really fun to listen to. Mr. Bach Comes to Call is our favorite.

• Like 1

I enjoyed the Themes to Remember CDs.  They have lyrics set to classical music in which the name of the piece and the composer are always included.  The idea is that later if you ever hear the tune, you'll automatically start singing the lyrics and know what it is.  

"Let’s play the Hornpipe

for Handel’s music,
His Water Music,
His Royal Music.
King George is having a ball
He says, "Please come, one and all." ..."

You've gotten some great suggestions. This CD is fantastic: Bernstein Favorites: Children's Classics. My kids are all nutty over it - it has Peter and the Wolf, Carnival of the Animals, and The Young Person's Guide to the Orchestra. We have probably listened to it at least 100 times in the car, and no one is tired of it. Go figure.

We've also enjoyed the Classical Kids CD's. They're audio dramas with the composer's music in the background. There's not really any explanation about the pieces (a few here and there, maybe) but they're excellent exposure to music in general and really fun to listen to. Mr. Bach Comes to Call is our favorite.

Yes, they are excellent exposure to classical music. And you just never know where the music pops up in everyday life, with the kids saying, "That's the music from Beethoven Lives Upstairs!"  They hear it in commercials, elevators, and even their own music repertoire years later. They've become old favourites, and my dc walk around the house humming classical music all the time. They rarely listen to pop music as it's pretty dull and predictable in comparison. 

The thing I like about the Classical Kids CDs is the stories about the composers. They don't give lots of detail, but just enough  to notice historical facts and references like a King or Queen's name, the name of another composer who influenced them, where they lived or where they worked. Young listeners start to make those connections, and later when they might study music history, they'll make them again and add in exact dates and other details. 

Edited by wintermom