Menu

S/O: House listing

DawnM

I sent the listing to my sister because she loves zilliow. She said oh, the house has nice bones and I think the second kitchen is upstairs. But they should mow the grass and clean Up! I asked if she had read the listing, and no, she hadn't. Her response afterwards was Oh my goodness! That's why they can't show upstairs. There is a squatter that they can't get out of there. Creepy!!!!! Or five bodies!!!!!! Creep. O. La. ðŸ˜ðŸ˜ðŸ˜

I look at houses and always think about what it would be like to give people my address. Since I'm in the thick of it now, I've noticed it more. There's a neighborhood I've looked at with authors as street names. But not just "Dickens Rd." The street names are FULL names. James Fenimore Cooper Lane. John Greenleaf Whittier Place. On one hand, I think it is awesome. On the other, I feel like it would require a lot of spelling or explanation when giving your address. Fermilab has a neighborhood with a house for sale on Quark Court. I would sound like a complete idiot every time I tried to say Quark Court out loud.

I think you'd have to explain the meaning behind the name every time. It would be cool to live close to a particle accelerator. There's also the neighborhood with all the horse racing and fox hunting names in the area. Those just sound pretentious though.

• Like 1

Here's a less creepy explanation. What if it's a divorce situation and the spouse living in the house doesn't want it to sell. That explanation would detract all potential buyers along with the high price.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

My guess, the tenant is somehow related to the former and most likely deceased owner.  A long-term or lifetime lease of only a nominal amount per month is involved . If properly recorded, such a long term lease may be valid and binding.  Otherwise, current owner would simply evict tenant  to facilitate sale at market price.

• Like 2

O.k. if you had to list your house and you wanted it to sound really creepy and a bad buy how would you describe it (without  truly lying)?

Well, our landlord thought our neighbor (it's a duplex) maybe works for the mafia, but I found out he's actually a senior field agent for CPS (which of course doesn't rule out that he's also in the mafia). Then of course, on our side we've got the crazy homeschooling family with the bipolar tranny etc. The place has been neglected for at least a decade, has some water damage because the landlord apparently thinks fixing a leaking faucet can wait a few years. And I have no clue what's in the attic. 

So, sorry, can't really make it sound *creepy*. And landlord apparently has gotten the memo that this does not make for an ideal selling situation, so is kicking us and neighbor out so she can do some long-overdue repairs, and then plans on selling it.

ETA: to be clear, she *could* do the repairs while we're still in it - she just doesn't want to.

Edited by luuknam
  • Like 1

They could be poorly explaining person holding over at the end of the lease, which automatically creates a month-to-month tenancy. Maybe?

So...starving artist in the upstairs, severe roof leaks going on, and whoever the last downstairs tenant was, they left a mess.

Not for $130K. I wouldn't buy that hot mess for $130K if it was in a lovely bit of central Phoenix metro area.

I would buy it in LA County, so I guess there is that.  But it isn't in LA County.

How can they say not to even ask about it?  Who would buy a house that you weren't even able to get all the way into? People typically do inspections before purchasing. You just trust that there's an actual, live human being renting upstairs and not several hidden bodies from the previous owner? Heck no.

• Like 1

No...something like that would go for much more there! Lovely new houses with all the bells and whistles in great neighborhoods go for that in SC!

I didn't say it wouldn't go for much more, I just said I would buy it if it were that price and in that area.

http://www.wistv.com/story/35399229/retired-artist-had-no-idea-he-was-mysterious-tenant-in-viral-sc-property-listing

Now it's gone viral, y'all. My real estate agent in the area has been massively entertained by it all.

You can see who lives upstairs now.

The dude seems to think he will be able to stay when the new folks buy it. (IF) Nope, not unless you are paying me rent, buddy.

I wonder if that is why Mike is selling...he can't get rid of the guy he was only doing a favor for.

There are some tricky laws about tenancy...I know some investors who would take it on, but few other people.