Menu

Black belt and ASD

Janeway

SOOOOO....

Yesterday.......

My 15 yr old, who in brick and mortar school was treated poorly even though he never did anything to deserve it, he has Aspergers. (I am not kidding, he did not deserve it, he did nothing to bring on that treatment, it was just bigotry on behalf of the staff and the kids being allowed and practically encouraged to treat him poorly).

He earned his black belt!!! Not kidding!!!

The test was grueling and awful and long. But he made it! I could NOT believe it! I was in tears at a point in the testing (don't worry, he could not see). Grown men were coming at him beating him up pretty much and he was defending himself. The test was long. He has spent years working on this. 

And now he is a black belt!

• Like 21

Congratulations. BTW, when the grown men in the martial arts studio are involved in a black belt exam, it is not referred to as "beating up." Just watch the terminology for a public forum like this. It is under completely controlled circumstances and completely safe. 

• Like 1

Congratulations. BTW, when the grown men in the martial arts studio are involved in a black belt exam, it is not referred to as "beating up." Just watch the terminology for a public forum like this. It is under completely controlled circumstances and completely safe. 

Well, I KNOW that, but, that was said in the context of the entire post. Even you got what I meant. Only way anyone would mis take what I meant would have only read those words and not the entire post, and the post was quite short. Anyone could take anything that anyone says out of context and make it mean something else. I am not responsible or concerned with that. 

I agree. And all of us including my Aspie knew exactly what to expect in the black belt testing (in general, I mean. ).

Congratulations to him on his black belt.

• Like 1

Well, I KNOW that, but, that was said in the context of the entire post. Even you got what I meant. Only way anyone would mis take what I meant would have only read those words and not the entire post, and the post was quite short. Anyone could take anything that anyone says out of context and make it mean something else. I am not responsible or concerned with that. 

I understood what you meant because I am a 3rd degree black belt in Taekwon-Do. You may want to tone your posts to show the respect and knowledge about the discipline that it deserves, is all I'm saying.  

There aren't that many people who have witnessed a black belt test.  Even many students of the sport don't show up to watch the actual tests until it's really close to their own black belt test - and only a small percentage of students stay in to get that far. 

Edited by wintermom
  • Like 2

I understood what you meant because I am a 3rd degree black belt in Taekwon-Do. You may want to tone your posts to show the respect and knowledge about the discipline that it deserves, is all I'm saying.

There aren't that many people who have witnessed a black belt test. Even many students of the sport don't show up to watch the actual tests until it's really close to their own black belt test - and only a small percentage of students stay in to get that far.

I wonder if our taekwando dojang is unusual. All students watch the black belt testing. It's a very big deal to support those getting their black belt. My Ds was there to support those who got their black belts before him and those with belt levels below him were there to support him when he got his black belt.

• Like 1

I wonder if our taekwando dojang is unusual. All students watch the black belt testing. It's a very big deal to support those getting their black belt. My Ds was there to support those who got their black belts before him and those with belt levels below him were there to support him when he got his black belt.

At dh's work, kung-fu studio, some students show up for other people's tests but it isn't required. The tests are long, at least 2 hours, longer if multiple people are testing. To expect all students watch that multiple times a year(max of 4 black belt tests a year) would be overkill.

At dh's work, kung-fu studio, some students show up for other people's tests but it isn't required. The tests are long, at least 2 hours, longer if multiple people are testing. To expect all students watch that multiple times a year(max of 4 black belt tests a year) would be overkill.

It is not required at ds' studio either but there is a culture of supporting each other.

That's a really great culture! Is your dojang rather small? When mine was smaller, we used to be able to do that but as the academy grew, over the 12 years I stayed with it, there was less and less space to stay and watch. It was always really interesting and a wonderful learning opportunity, though. Sometimes the examiners got very long-winded with their comments, which added to the time. Our master instructor and dojang owner really streamlined things as the number of students increased.

Edited by wintermom
  • Like 1

That's a really great culture! Is your dojang rather small? When mine was smaller, we used to be able to do that but as the academy grew, over the 12 years I stayed with it, there was less and less space to stay and watch. It was always really interesting and a wonderful learning opportunity, though. Sometimes the examiners got very long-winded with their comments, which added to the time. Our master instructor and dojang owner really streamlined things as the number of students increased.

It's bottom heavy.  As in there are a lot more little kids than older teens and adults.  The younger kids are divided more into groups by belt level so the younger ones do not see the kid black belt testing, I don't think.  But the adult/ teen class (which was about 12 people when ds got his black belt) are very loyal to each other.  My understanding is that the kid belts do the same moves but of course they don't have the strength and finesse of the older students so their belts will become adult black belts with more practice.  I think.  Ds didn't get a kid black belt because he didn't start until he was 12 and then got his black belt at 18.  They had a master come especially for the black belt testing (who was different from the master instructor and dojang owner) and he could get long-winded!  But he also got to know the black belt candidates well and was a great role model and encourager. 

There are way too many students and not enough space at ours for that.  Some people go to black belt testing, especially those that will be testing next time.  Black belt testing happens twice a year and a group of 6 schools in the area get together for it.  A hundred or so people test each time (that includes all advancing degrees and mid-terms) and viewing space is at a premium.  All together black belt testing takes 6-9 hours between three separate groups.