Menu

Craving sweets big time

Janeway

We gave up organic food in the last six months. Not sure if that could be part of this. BUT, with Christmas, Valentines, and Easter, there was more candy around here. But I am up by a full 20 pounds! The organic food issue would not be this would it? I am even no longer eating out. 

Also, any suggestions on how to curb these cravings for sweets, I would love. Thanks! Also, not sure if this matters, but maybe it is a perimenopause thing.

When I just want a little something sweet after a meal, I have a tablespoon of light brown sugar and a half glass of nonfat milk.  That does the trick, and for far less calories than a typical candy dessert.

Ongoing I drink rather a lot of a naturally sweet cinnamon tea with no sugar.  It's Good Earth tea and it is really good.  Usually that is enough.

Magnesium deficiency can trigger the desire to binge on sweets.

Rosie! I associate cravings for sweets with migraines and I associate not getting enough magnesium with migraines, but I didn't link the sweets and magnesium together. Thank you for putting together two rather large chunks of my migraine puzzle.

Nan

• Like 5

Rosie! I associate cravings for sweets with migraines and I associate not getting enough magnesium with migraines, but I didn't link the sweets and magnesium together. Thank you for putting together two rather large chunks of my migraine puzzle.

Nan

May this revolutionise your life! :)

It's not the organic.

Getting the sweets out for just a week or two can really help break the habit. When you are not able to satisfy those cravings with sweets, another way seems a lot more manageable, and then once the habit is re-set it's often easier to continue. Would your family be okay with keeping them out of the house for 2 weeks to re-set you, and eating them off-site instead?

• Like 1

I would not advise milk to curb cravings for sweets. My sugar levels went up when I did that. Milk qualifies as a sugar drink, quickly absorbed carbohydrates. Chocolate milk is worse. A piece of raw fruit is a better alternative I will chop up an apple, sprinkle on cinnamon and nuts, then mix in a small dollop of plain yogurt for protein.

Edited by Onceuponatime
  • Like 1

I agree, it is not the organic. It is the sweets. If you take sugar out completely you will crave them less. you will probably lose weight. Careful not to substitute pasta or fries. Lack of sleep or stress can cause me to crave sweets so sleep more. It is hard to cut Sugar. Keep busy.

• Like 2

if you've been eating much more sugar than normal, and are now trying to cut back - it could be gut yeast.   yeast eats sugar, and if its hungry - it wants sugar.  a candida cleanse will kill yeast.  be sure and up your probiotics to get your good bacteria going.  and go slow, as yeast die-off can be unpleasant.  my cravings are usually gone by day 2 or 3.

I will also eat yogurt when having a craving. (eta: clarifing)   plain greek yogurt to which I've added unsweetened berries.  *never* commercial presweetened yogurt.  that stuff is loaded with sugar.

if your sugar consumption has been stable, it could also be adrenals are feeling taxed.  they look for quick energy.

Edited by gardenmom5

I will agree that being off sweets for a couple of weeks will greatly reduce your desire for them. I gave up sweets for Lent, and while I normally have a pretty strong sweet tooth, I just don't want many sweets now and too much in a short amount of time makes me feel sick.

I sub in a spoonful of peanut butter and some dark chocolate, tea, and then white knuckle the rest. If you've been consuming a lot of honey, fructose, or even refined sugars it can be a challenge to get back off them, but you'll feel better after a few days.

Rosie brought up a great point about magnesium. Chromium can also be a big help in sweet cravings.

Thank you for this thread.  I cannot stop myself from eating the sweets if they're in the house.  My dh doesn't know this and just brought home a big grocery bag of 1/2 off Easter candy.  It's here and I just ate 2 mini-Trix a few minute ago, yet it didn't feel like enough.  I want to get into the Reeces Peanut Butter eggs as well.  Oh, and the Cadbury mini-eggs!  ACK.  I could easily eat all of that in one sitting.  Easily.  And then want to go back for more after dinner.

The biggest thing to help myself when I get like this (like right now), is to throw all the sweet stuff away in the outside trashcan, and then clean the litter boxes and put the dirty litter bags on the candy bag.  I did this once before and it was freeing.  This time around, I'm going to ask DH to take his Bag of Temptation to work and keep it there.

Also, get rid of pies and cake or anything like that in the house.  All of it.  Be ruthless. 

After that, you only need willpower when you're shopping.  If there is nothing sweet in the house, then you can't eat it because it doesn't exist.  No matter how much you crave the sweets, they don't exist, so you're forced not to eat them.  Just hold on to that willpower when you're in the store and don't buy any.  

If you have munchies, eat fruit or carrots or something like that and munch on those instead of the sweets.  They take a long time to munch and that can help you get through the moments when you neeeeeed the sweets.

• Like 5

Coconut oil straight off the spoon does it for me.  How motivated are you?  Because it takes some self-discipline to eat a spoonful of coconut oil instead of the sweet treat you're craving.  But once you do, it's like magic; the craving disappears.  For me, anyway.