Menu

Well Trained Bodies - 4/16/17

Granny_Weatherwax

Happy Easter -

It's a new week.

I walked 4 miles this morning and another 3 miles this afternoon.

Tomorrow -

I am beginning a food challenge tomorrow. I am going to go sugar free. My goal is one week. If I make that then I'll continue taking it one day at a time. I;m also shooting for as many steps as I can get. The top place person for the work place challenge has over 100,000 steps for the first 7 days. I want to give her a run for the money.

• Like 5

Happy Easter -

It's a new week.

I walked 4 miles this morning and another 3 miles this afternoon.

Tomorrow -

I am beginning a food challenge tomorrow. I am going to go sugar free. My goal is one week. If I make that then I'll continue taking it one day at a time. I;m also shooting for as many steps as I can get. The top place person for the work place challenge has over 100,000 steps for the first 7 days. I want to give her a run for the money.

7 miles already?  Wow.  I could not walk that much in a day. not Voluntarily anyhow.  I'm just chugging along with my exercise classes.  My schedule is going to be pretty tough this week, so I hope that I can still get some decent workouts in.  Good luck everyone with your goals!

• Like 5

It's Monday!  Let's get up and at  'em!!

I made it to the Y before 7am and did 3.8 miles on the treadmill. 7000+ steps. Woot woot!  I had two eggs and 3 slice of canadian bacon accompanied by sugar free chai (ew, this is going to be tough). I'm packing up most of the Easter candy and taking it to work today. I've got to get rid of the temptation.

• Like 4

Last week was not productive for me in terms of fitness.  It was crazy hectic, I survived it, and that's that!

Today, I'm recovering from my made up home workout of trimming tree limbs and brush and stacking wood.  It might not have seemed like much, but my arms are sore!!!  (Also, my legs are scratched up like I was in a cat fight.  :001_rolleyes: )

• Like 4

I have been laid low by a cold plus spring allergies. The last time I went to the gym was Wednesday evening :( I can't bend or look down without a pounding sinus headache, even when medicated.

I've done some gentle gardening and also cleared invasives along our creek bank. Carrie, I too have scratches all over my arms and a lovely one on my cheek thanks to a Rosa rugosa cane!

I am hopeful that I will be able to attend Pop Pilates class this evening.

I ate like crud this weekend because I couldn't taste much.

• Like 4

I am going to go sugar free. My goal is one week. If I make that then I'll continue taking it one day at a time. I;m also shooting for as many steps as I can get. The top place person for the work place challenge has over 100,000 steps for the first 7 days. I want to give her a run for the money.

Good for you!  Sugar-free is hard at first, but it does get easier.  

Good luck on your step challenge!

Would anyone be interested in doing Whole 30 "together"?  My experiment with the Trim Healthy Mama diet didn't go so well.  I think I've known deep down for some time now that I need to go with something paleo-ish, I've just been resisting/procrastinating.  So, I'm going to start Whole 30 on Monday April 24.  I do my grocery shopping on Sundays, so that will give me this week to figure out the details and do some meal planning.  

• Like 3

I have been laid low by a cold plus spring allergies. The last time I went to the gym was Wednesday evening :( I can't bend or look down without a pounding sinus headache, even when medicated.

I've done some gentle gardening and also cleared invasives along our creek bank. Carrie, I too have scratches all over my arms and a lovely one on my cheek thanks to a Rosa rugosa cane!

I am hopeful that I will be able to attend Pop Pilates class this evening.

I ate like crud this weekend because I couldn't taste much.

Last week was not productive for me in terms of fitness.  It was crazy hectic, I survived it, and that's that!

Today, I'm recovering from my made up home workout of trimming tree limbs and brush and stacking wood.  It might not have seemed like much, but my arms are sore!!!  (Also, my legs are scratched up like I was in a cat fight.  :001_rolleyes: )

My "workout" plan was similar. After mowing on Sat. I did some gardening/yard work yesterday morning. I have an assortment of scratches too.

I slept in this am, I woke up yesterday at 3am and never did go back to sleep. I was TIRED. 

I ate well Sat & Sun but Sun. I snacked on rice krispy treats way too much. I hit the carbs when I'm tired for energy, I don't know why I always end up feeling worse. Theoretically, I'm supposed to do bodyweight work M/W/F but I'm feeling mighty grumpy, my period is still not here although the hormones are in full force.

Edited by soror
  • Like 3

Would anyone be interested in doing Whole 30 "together"?  My experiment with the Trim Healthy Mama diet didn't go so well.  I think I've known deep down for some time now that I need to go with something paleo-ish, I've just been resisting/procrastinating.  So, I'm going to start Whole 30 on Monday April 24.  I do my grocery shopping on Sundays, so that will give me this week to figure out the details and do some meal planning.  

Not a W30 exactly- but modified to work for me, I'm game, as we are on break it is a good time to focus on cooking good foods. I feel best paleo-ish but I have some legumes and some gf grains here and there. I also drink smoothies some days, without guilt :)

• Like 2

Not a W30 exactly- but modified to work for me, I'm game, as we are on break it is a good time to focus on cooking good foods. I feel best paleo-ish but I have some legumes and some gf grains here and there. I also drink smoothies some days, without guilt :)

Modified to work for you - sounds perfect!  That's one of the things I'm hoping to gain from the experiment:  to find out better which foods I can tolerate, and which ones might be contributing to cravings, or weight gain, or allergies, or migraines, etc.

Speaking of allergies and migraines - I think I have figured out there's a connection there.  It seems like my migraines are always worse when my allergies flare up.

• Like 2

Would anyone be interested in doing Whole 30 "together"? My experiment with the Trim Healthy Mama diet didn't go so well. I think I've known deep down for some time now that I need to go with something paleo-ish, I've just been resisting/procrastinating. So, I'm going to start Whole 30 on Monday April 24. I do my grocery shopping on Sundays, so that will give me this week to figure out the details and do some meal planning.

I'll join you. I haven't done a whole30 since I was pregnant with my 2 year old. It'll be perfect timing because it'll be the last stretch of my weight loss competition I'm in.

• Like 4

Goal for next three weeks, work through 21day extreme and work on paying attention to mindless eating try to eat something healthy spaced out 3+ hours. This is hard for me I have some bad habits to break.

That said. Today I did 21 day extreme upper body.

• Like 4

I'll join you. I haven't done a whole30 since I was pregnant with my 2 year old. It'll be perfect timing because it'll be the last stretch of my weight loss competition I'm in.

Oh, yay!   :hurray:  I'm getting excited about it.  So, since you've done it before, would you have any tips for me regarding food shopping and stocking the pantry?  Husband and daughter won't be joining me, so unluckily for me, getting rid of all the off-plan foods in the house won't be an option.

• Like 2

Oh, yay!   :hurray:  I'm getting excited about it.  So, since you've done it before, would you have any tips for me regarding food shopping and stocking the pantry?  Husband and daughter won't be joining me, so unluckily for me, getting rid of all the off-plan foods in the house won't be an option.

I've done I think 3 W30 and done plenty of strict paleo for various issues my big advice- have some "safe" snacks and plenty of them. Do not try and restrict how much you eat, especially the first week, really, eat until you are full. Otherwise, you set yourself up to go back to eating non-W30 food. 

Nomnom paleo has a whole W30 section and her recipes are awesome.

Salad mix, frozen hamburger patties, smoked salmon, tinned sardines(if you like them), pre-washed veggies, nuts are all great quick(er) options.

White and sweet potatoes are allowed- bake in bulk, they are great sources of starch.

For the sake of cooking, I try not to do entirely separate meals but make extra sides for me and pull the meat out b/f adding to things I'm not eating.

Find some on plan treats that you just love, splurge really, find some recipes that look yummy and focus on the foods you love, you don't want to feel deprived.

• Like 2

Modified to work for you - sounds perfect!  That's one of the things I'm hoping to gain from the experiment:  to find out better which foods I can tolerate, and which ones might be contributing to cravings, or weight gain, or allergies, or migraines, etc.

Speaking of allergies and migraines - I think I have figured out there's a connection there.  It seems like my migraines are always worse when my allergies flare up.

The auto-immune diet helped me identify some things I hadn't really put my finger on before. I had had a couple of instances of eggs bothering me before the diet but I brushed it off however it became more clear, especially w/ heavy egg white dishes(the whites are more bothersome than the yolks). I noticed an issue with tomatoes too, I figured out other nightshades seem ok but I limit tomatoes. 

Have you looked into doing a lower histamine diet? I had horrible allergies for awhile and found it really did help, although it is a pain. I also figured out that there is a hormonal component, quite by accident but later on I found research that confirmed it. Progesterone cream lowered my reaction as it improved my prog/estrogen balance.

Edited by soror
  • Like 2

Oh, yay! :hurray: I'm getting excited about it. So, since you've done it before, would you have any tips for me regarding food shopping and stocking the pantry? Husband and daughter won't be joining me, so unluckily for me, getting rid of all the off-plan foods in the house won't be an option.

The 2 biggest mistakes I see many people make is 1. not eating enough veggies. My breakfasts is a huge plate of sauteed veggies with eggs over easy on top. Lunch is usually a huge salad with some form of meat on top or leftover dinner. Dinner is where I vary my meals so I don't get bored. It has been awhile since my last whole30 so I'll have to get back to you on those ideas.

2. Trying to vary the menu too much. Whole30 means a lot of food prep and cooking from scratch. To make it easier and not get overwhelmed too soon you need to start with simple meals or meals your mostly familiar with that just need a bit of tweaking.

Other tips... For me personally snacking on nuts, seeds and compliant bars like larabars ruins my whole30. Other people feel they are necessary. It is a personal preference I guess. I don't snack most of the time. If I'm going to snack it is going to be an already prepared sweet potato or a plate of veggies both with ghee.

As I prepare myself for Monday I'm sure I'll think of more and will let you know.

• Like 2

I went for a walk with a friend this afternoon, and we took the dog along with us which made him very happy.

Then I played some tennis with dh. We had such a strong cross-wind that it made for some very interesting rallies. If I lobbed the ball up it was quite fascinating to watch the arc move forwards and sideways. I'd aim for dh's forehand and most of the balls made it to his backhand.  :laugh:   I was much luckier on my side with most of the balls ending up on my forehand.

• Like 4

My week started rather badly, as I caught a virus and spend the last two days being miserable and not active. I did trim a trash bin worth of bougainvillea (and I spelled it on the first try!), but that is it. I hope I am feeling well enough tomorrow to go fence.

• Like 4

Go Scoutermom! Sounds like you are off to a strong start!

And I'm cheering on those of you who are going to give Whole 30 a go!

I had a small break from the healthy eating from dinner Saturday through Sunday. It was nice, but of course makes Monday much less pleasant, haha.

So back on the wagon today. Counting calories and using Fitness Pal. I did my Firm workout today, and a snowy mountain walk with the crazy Great Dane pup. Training him is possibly going to kill me.

• Like 6

bodyweight workout & yard work yesterday

period is still AWOL although I had a bit of spotting if this goes much longer I'm buying a pregnancy test. I was right at 28 days for a couple of years, then last month came early at 25, now i'm on day 31. heaven help me, that's not in my plans.

• Like 5

I did my Firm workout today, and a snowy mountain walk with the crazy Great Dane pup. Training him is possibly going to kill me.

How old is your pup now? Do Great Dane's mature quickly, or is this a two year+  process? All the best with this challenge! It's a gorgeous breed of dog. Their size alone is awesome. 

• Like 3

period is still AWOL although I had a bit of spotting if this goes much longer I'm buying a pregnancy test. I was right at 28 days for a couple of years, then last month came early at 25, now i'm on day 31. heaven help me, that's not in my plans.

Not sure what to say, but sending you hugs.  :grouphug:

• Like 1

Dh and I will be playing some mixed doubles late this afternoon with some friends from the tennis club and community theatre. It should be a lot of fun and a really challenging match.

Dd and I went for a walk this morning with the dog, and then cleaned up some old garden wiring in the backyard. After watching the British TV series Wildlife SOS, we're trying to get rid of things that could accidentally trap wildlife in our yard. 

• Like 4

For me, I'd get my period the day after I did the pregnancy test. My period has been variable for years now. I've pretty much stopped testing until at least a week has gone by. This month I got 2 periods in 3 weeks. Ugg!

• Like 2

My week started rather badly, as I caught a virus and spend the last two days being miserable and not active. I did trim a trash bin worth of bougainvillea (and I spelled it on the first try!), but that is it. I hope I am feeling well enough tomorrow to go fence.

Hope you're feeling much better soon. I will have to google bougainvillea. I'm not sure if it's a plant or something completely different!  :laugh:

• Like 3

Hope you're feeling much better soon. I will have to google bougainvillea. I'm not sure if it's a plant or something completely different!  :laugh:

Oh, it IS something completely different. It is about 10' in diameter pink ball that pretends to be a flowering plant that looks pretty from afar, but waits for you to come close to sink its 1" thorns into your skin, meanwhile playing a house to some critters that I suspect are rats. It also encroaches on the walkway along the street, so I had to trim it. Unfortunately, a bin-full of cutting barely made a dent on this monster.

Sorry about that and hope that it will resolve soon. Mine also recently became greatly variable and picked up a habit of coming together with bad PMS.  I blame it on my age, even though I am still relatively young for this $%& to start.

I think I am feeling better today, but my son started complaining about the same thing. We'll see how it develops by evening.

• Like 3

How old is your pup now? Do Great Dane's mature quickly, or is this a two year+  process? All the best with this challenge! It's a gorgeous breed of dog. Their size alone is awesome. 

He is 10 months. We have two 11 year old mutt rescue dogs too, of a much more reasonable size. He is still intact (we plan to neuter, but were told to wait until he as least a year because the hormones help with proper bone growth) and outweighs me at this point, which is a whole new training ball game.

Congratulations, Kiana!! That is a wonderful milestone!

We are having major work done on the house (15 years overdue), so a lot of chaos here currently. I got a one hour-ish Firm workout in, and will head to the dog park (which is a trail around a lake) in a bit. Eating is good, and I'm enjoying my counting calories thing at the moment.

• Like 4

He is 10 months. We have two 11 year old mutt rescue dogs too, of a much more reasonable size. He is still intact (we plan to neuter, but were told to wait until he as least a year because the hormones help with proper bone growth) and outweighs me at this point, which is a whole new training ball game.

We've got an intact male poodle who is only 50 pounds, about 4 years old, and full of spring. It's an added handful dealing with these boys, that's for sure. Have fun!

• Like 1

Had a nice run this morning. There were fewer people on the trail than usual, which means more wildlife close to the trail, so that was fun.

Other than that, it's pretty much been the usual. I'm still hoping to hire a personal trainer for a few sessions, but we have to get a new roof and we've got some travel coming up, so it's really not the best time financially. It's going to have to wait awhile. So in the meantime I'll read some weightlifting books and hopefully get some ideas for improving my routine.

• Like 5

Weighed in today at 1.8 lbs lighter.that is 17.6 lbs down since Feb 10th! The only pants and capris I own that fit me right now are my workout clothes. My guess is in another ten lbs I'll fit my size 14/16. The one pair of 18 I have now fall off me.

• Like 5

Weighed in today at 1.8 lbs lighter.that is 17.6 lbs down since Feb 10th! The only pants and capris I own that fit me right now are my workout clothes. My guess is in another ten lbs I'll fit my size 14/16. The one pair of 18 I have now fall off me.

This is when I started treating myself to "new-to-me" clothes from the thrift stores. :)

• Like 3

I'm going to try to do a walk away the pounds DVD with my mom this afternoon. If that doesn't happen I'm going to ask dh to come up with a quick 20 minute HIIT workout for me when he gets home from work. He can sit and relax while he calls out exercises for me to do and keep track of the timer

• Like 4

This is when I started treating myself to "new-to-me" clothes from the thrift stores. :)

Sadly because of my post pregnancy stretched out belly I'm just entirely in between sizes. 18 is too big and 16 is a tad tight because of the extra belly that is slowly going away. I have plenty of size 16 pants just waiting to fit again.

But I do start treating myself to new to me shirts!

When I reach my goal weight my mom is going to treat me to a whole new wardrobe. Goal weight is still 50ish pounds away.

Edited by hjffkj
  • Like 5