Menu

Does anyone have a repeating meal plan?

IfIOnly

I'd like start this up again. I'm thinking a month repeating meal plan with flexibility if I want. I won't though. Ha! Something like (just examples, haven't decided):

One night a week is Mexican: tacos, fajitas, enchiladas, ?

Another night is pork: chops, baked ham, carnitas, pot. soup

Chicken: roast fryer with gravy, bbq, ?, ?

Asian night: teriyaki, curry, sushi, Asian salad

Italian/pasta: pesto, spaghetti, pizza, ?

If you have a repeating meal plan how do you organize it and what's specifically on menu? I need some inspiration and ideas. Thank you!

Here's what I do:

Sunday - breakfast for dinner

Monday - pasta

Tuesday - Asian

Wednesday - fish

Thursday - takeout (grocery shopping & errand day)

Friday - Mexican

Saturday - kids make their own dinner and dh and I have a big salad

I have a list of 5-10 favorite recipes for each category, which makes it easy to whip up a meal plan and shopping list when I'm in a hurry. When I have more time, I like to look around for a new recipe or two to try each week.

• Like 1

We do, but it's not weekly.

I put together a quarterly plan. Each quarter has a six-week rotation, so we rotate through each week of meals twice before moving on to the next quarter. I try to take advantage of seasonal produce, etc. within each quarter (spring/summer/fall/winter). Changing things up helps us keep from getting bored, but also makes it easier on me. I'm a terrible meal planner. This gives us a structure while being easy to swap out meals for special events or just feel like something different.

• Like 1

Mine is pretty loose but there are 2 options in each category that most of us like.

Breakfast for dinner: skillet with potatoes, peppers, onions, sausage & eggs OR bacon, scrambled eggs w/ pancakes or waffles

Pasta: red sauce, pasta, and meatballs OR broccoli and sausage w/pasta

Grilled/Broiled Chicken...w/ salad either: Caesar salad OR spinach salad, red onions, apple & candied nuts

Tacos: Ground chicken or beef w/toppings OR quesadillas

"Big Batch" crockpot: pot roast, BBQ beef or BBQ pork (I usually do this on Thursday, then we have lots of leftovers for weekend)

Chili OR Soup in cool weather OR hamburgers/hot dogs/Italian sausage on grill in warmer weather

I fill these meals in with veggies and sides as needed. Other nights are random stuff we like but don't eat regularly like steak or meatloaf or stuffed shells or things only a couple of us like.

We get take out once a week or so: pizza or Chipotle, for example, and it seems like we always have enough of that leftover for the next day.

• Like 1

I have 16 weeks planned out.  One day, I pulled out all my recipes and decided which I wanted to use regularly.  Then mixed and matched them based on ingredients or  proximity to other recipes.  So, the first week, I make black bean burgers with sweet potato fries and the 9th week I make chickpea burgers with roasted potatoes and romesco sauce.  Second week, I make red lentil tacos and the 10th week I make pinto bean and vege tacos.  Different themes:  burgers, Chinese, Mexican, Ethiopian, Indian, Italian, hummus.  I make chicken or beef on Saturday.  I cook 3-4 nights a week.  Dh cooks 1 night a week.  We eat out 2 nights a week.  Each week, I make a big pot of soup and that provides many a breakfast or lunch.  Mostly breakfast/lunch are leftovers or foods that dh is not fond of.

I created a document that has my shopping list for the 16 weeks.  I just print off one page a week, cross off what I've got in stock, add any additional items I might need, and go shop.  I've done this for years.  It saves so much time and energy.  I used to spend an inordinate amount of time each week figuring out what I was going to cook, what I needed to buy, etc. 

If you are interested, PM me with your email address, and I'll send you my doc.  This is a list that I send guests for them to chose.  I take good care of my guests.  :laugh: I haven't updated this list in a while...

Chicken

Chicken & Rice Wraps

Chicken in White Wine Sauce

Chicken Cacciatore

Chicken Fajitas

Chicken Tacos

Chicken Tortilla Soup

Middle Eastern Chicken in a Pita

Chicken Stir Fry

Chicken with mushrooms and artichokes

Beef

Meatloaf

Tacos

Meatball Subs

Burgers

Beef Fajitas

Sloppy Joes

Vegetarian

Black Bean Burgers

Chickpea Burgers

Kabuli Chana Dal

Unsloppy Joes

African Sweet Potato and Peanut Stew

Ethiopian Yellow Split Pea Stew

Potato+Tomato Basil Soup

Vegetable Burritos

Red Lentil Tacos

Veggie Stir Fry

Black Lentil Dal

Mexican Stuffed Peppers

Spinach with Chickpeas

Shredded Vegetable Fritters

Veggie Chili+Potato

Unsloppy Joes

Vegetable Fajitas

Minestrone Soup

Veggie Taco Salad

Red Lentil Stew

Ethiopian Green Beans & Potatoes

Soups

Vegetable Bean Soup (fast and easy)

Vegetable Bean Soup (more time consuming)

Tortilla Soup

Green Velvet Soup

Tomato Basil Soup

Minestrone Soup

Black Bean Soup

Eat the Rainbow Black Bean Soup

Triple Lentil Soup

Stews/Chili

Lentil Edamame Stew

Very Veggie Chili

African Sweet Potato & Peanut Stew

Hummus

Regular Hummus

Roasted Red Pepper Hummus

White Bean Hummus

Black Bean Hummus

Burgers

Chickpea Burgers

Black Bean Burgers

Falafel

Unsloppy Joes

Mexican

Red Lentil Tacos

Vegetable/Bean Tacos

Sweet Potato, Black Bean, Greens Tacos

(Green) Lentil and Cauliflower Rice Tacos

Vegetable Fajitas

Mexican Stuffed Peppers

Ethiopian

Ethiopian Berbere Stew (red lentils)

Ethiopian Lentils with Berbere Spice (green lentils)

Ethiopian Green Beans & Potatoes

Ethiopian Chickpea & Sweet Potato Wot

Kik Alicha (yellow split peas)

Indian

Spinach & Chickpea

Kabuli Chana Dal (split chickpeas)

Black Lentil Dal

Bhindi Masala (okra)

Chinese

Vegetable + Edamame Stir Fry

• Like 5

I did a two week rotation for quite a while with success. I eventually got tired of it and wore out a few things for my family. I picked the ten of my family's most loved dinners/recipes and just stuck with those. Sundays are always homemade pizza for dinner, so that was two more dinners, and the other two (to make 14) seemed to work themselves out (eating out, fridge clean out, etc.) I need to go back to that. Themes don't work for me because they are still too broad to easily choose what I'll cook. 

Edited by SamanthaCarter
  • Like 1

Monday: soup (chicken noodle, chicken and gnocchi, Italian wedding, chicken and barley, and chicken and dumplings, with a few others once in a while)

Tuesday: meat and potatoes (several different pot roasts, oven roast, steak bites, meat loaf, fried round steak...potatoes mashed, baked, roasted, etc)

Wednesday: chicken and rice (curry, orange, and skillet chicken with different seasonings - a few others once in a while)

Thursday: something on a bun (hamburgers, turkey burgers, chicken patties, turkey brats...although we've been going bun-less lately, so not sure what to call it now!)

Friday: various (taco salads, salmon patties, homemade pizza, biscuits and gravy, chicken a la king...anything that doesn't fit well in another category)

Saturday: eggs (scrambled, fried, baked, omletted, eggs-in-a-frame)

Sunday: sandwiches (grilled cheese, Reubens, cold lunch meat sandwiches...and sometimes a roast chicken if I'm feeling ambitious...yes, I know it doesn't belong on sandwich night)

It gives me a good starting point, but we are flexible too. In warmer weather we have smoothies and toast at least once a week. And I have recipes I make on rare ocasion - sometimes the break from them turns them into a new favorite!

• Like 1

I recently made up a 4-week meal plan to rotate. But we only did it for one week and then we left for vacation two days into the next week and got back a few days ago. I do plan on picking it up for next week. I'm optimistic about it. I picked a rough theme for each day based on how much time we'd have to cook vs a busy day. I also made up a shopping list for each week.

I'm still working on the shopping lists, but I'm expanding them from just the dinner menu. I added things we need each week (milk, eggs, fresh snacking produce...) but then I also added things I only get sometimes. For example, my kids love bagels and english muffins and one likes cinnamon raisin bread. But if I get them all we waste a lot and if I get the same thing too often they stop eating it. So I added one thing to each week. So week 1 I'll get bagels, week 2 - raisin bread, week 3 - mini bagels, week 4 - english muffins. I did this with several things that I just want to get sometimes but don't want to end up splurging on all in one week like I tend to do if I shop hungry. I added tea to one week because I need a new box about once a month. I did this with other things evening them out across the weeks. 

I also decided to make a steady lunch plan for during the week. We tend to rotate through the same few things anyway. So I added what we need for those to each week. 

Dinners:

Monday - I shop after dropping the kids off at tumbling at 4:00 so it has to be something I can make quickly as soon as I get home. Ham (I use the IP so it's fast), spaghetti, salad bar, ravioli

Tuesday - meatloaf, chicken crescent ring, Shepherd's pie, hungry jack casserole

Wednesday - none of us are home, the kids eat a lunchable for dinner on our 45 min drive home and I eat leftovers or a sandwich later. 

Thursday - Fajitas, tacos, stir-fry, enchiladas

Friday - Home-made pizza, grilled cheese and soup, salsa chicken quesadillas, BLT's (when T in season, not sure what I'll replace with later)  - I tried to make Friday be DD8 friendly because we do family movie night and it's best to keep it smooth. With modification she'll eat all these. 

Saturday - Ham & veggie soup or chicken noodle soup, grilled chicken, Hamburgers/hot dogs (warm months, chili in winter), baked or fried chicken

Sunday - aztec chicken, southwest or beef stew, 15 bean soup or meatballs/rice, pot roast

I'm still working on finding some seasonal exchanges and I'll be tweaking things as we try it out. A lot of my spacing/planning has to do with what DD8 will eat. I wanted her to have at least one meal a week she will eat. With some slight modifications to hers, she'll eat 1-2 of each week's plan. 

Edited by Whovian10
  • Like 1

Mine is amazingly boring because there are three picky eaters in the house and the three of us are picky about different things. So we eat the same meals every week, because these are the only things we can all bear to eat:

Monday: Spaghetti

Tuesday: Tacos

Wednesday: Fish

Thursday: Homemade pizza

Friday: Meatloaf for one picky eater, tortellini soup for the other two picky eaters (Meatloaf, beatloaf, I hate meatloaf! I'm willing to cook the two dinners because they're both fast to cook and I hate meatloaf.)

Saturday: Roast beef or stir-fried beef with green peppers

Sunday: Roast chicken.

And then it starts over again. And again. And again. Sometimes I just can't take it anymore and we head out to the local Chinese buffet. :)

• Like 1

You ladies are wonderful. Thank you!! Tonight was my night off with dinner and a movie all by my lonesome. It was wonderful and refreshing, but now I'm back and feeling some motivation to put this meal plan together. I'd like to do (well, actually for DH to do most likely) the bulk of my shopping this weekend. Thank you so much for sharing how you do this and for the meal ideas. I'm thinking I'm going to have each weekday be a theme with 10 or so of our favorites to choose from. I'll pencil out a plan month to month.  

For themes I'm thinking:

Beef

Chicken

Pork

Asian

Middle Eastern

Italian/Pasta

Mexican 

I have a few odd meals out like some soups and will just find a place to squeeze them in here and there. It will be good to be meal planning again. I hate figuring out what's for dinner with a passion. It's exhausting and soul sucking for me. Ugh. 

We have a rough plan for each day of the week. 
Monday - "surprise" (or leftovers)
Tuesday - soup
Wednesday - fish
Thursday - salad
Friday - Pasta
Saturday - stir fry
Sunday - roast dinner or home made pizza (alternates)

Edited by IsabelC

You guys are so.......together.

Every night I groan as I enter the kitchen.  No idea.  

We have things we just make regularly as "fall back on" meals:

Tacos

Curry

Stir Fry

Noodles

Baked potatoes

Pizza

Burgers

Skillet Sausage and New Potatoes

Salad and grilled chicken

Or I will just do a meat, a veggie, and a starch (potatoes, pasta, rice)

In our family right now (it changes from time to time), the steady things are Friday night pizza (homemade usually) and Tuesday night Tacos (although this has been expanded to anything Tex-Mex.)   

The following lost their way, but should be reinstated: 

Wednesday night pasta (anybody remember, "Wednesday is Prince Spaghetti day?")  

Meatless Mondays

Then Thursdays was Egyptian/Middle Eastern food (because of DH).

Saturday/Sunday I can't remember what we did.  

I don't have a set plan but I do have a general template.  But I only allow pasta once a week (they would eat it every day), we usually have eggs of some sort on Fridays, once a week I make pizza, once a week I try something new, once a week we have grilled sandwiches, I try to serve something with tofu at least once a week, beans or lentils once a week etc. 

It is mostly ruled by the ballet schedule. On some days both kids are gone until 7pm so I can make anything as long as dinner is ready as soon as they come home, most days one kid is back at 6 and the other kid is back at 8 so multiple dinner times will happen.  Sometimes we have weeks of rehearsals after class so dinner has to be packed up and eaten on the run.

• Like 1

I have a four-week plan. I have two chicken, two pork, two beef and one fish meal every week.

Chicken: whole roasted, breaded breasts, casseroles, parmesian, salad

Pork: loin roast, breaded chops, grilled chops, sausage pasta

Beef: roast, tacos, sloppy joes, meatloaf, burgers, casserole

Fish: alternate fried and grilled

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk