Menu

How long for iron supplements to work if they're going to?

creekland

A little twist to the end - Update in post #23.

Short story:

% Sat Fe is low, Fe itself isn't, but is on the lower side of normal.

Dr. said to take an OTC Fe supplement once per day every other day.

Silly ole me decided an "iron added" multi daily would be good enough.  That added 100% DRV (daily).  Supplements add 361% (every other day if taken as directed).

The daily addition hasn't worked at all.  Both hubby and I noticed things getting worse, not better (out of breath things).  So, today I switched to Dr recommended option.  How long is it supposed to take to notice if there's a difference?

If nothing else, a blood test in early June will tell if anything's improved, but this getting out of breath deal with slightly more than normal actions is aggravating - esp as Spring hits on the farm...

Edited by creekland

When I was pregnant with DS1, my iron came back as anemic.  I was very tired and somewhat short of breath.  My midwives recommended Vitron-C, and within a week of starting it, I felt tremendously better.  I was able to breathe better, and I felt more like normal pregnant tired, not completely exhausted.  My midwives did say that that quick of a response was pretty expected.

My midwife with DS4 and DS5 said she sees the best results when her moms supplement B-complex vitamins instead of or in addition to iron.  The B-complex apparently really helps your body use iron.  She recommended a B-50 or a B-100, so you might try one of those as well.

• Like 1

I believe that iron taken on an empty stomach absorbs better. Vit. C helps as well. I take my iron supplement at night before bed.

I don't know how long it takes to raise iron levels in the blood. Is your breathing trouble directly linked with low iron? Could it be due to breathing issues (e.g., asthma, allergies, smoking, fitness levels, etc.)?

• Like 1

what form of iron does your supplement contain?  some are much more easily absorbed by the body than others.  it does better with vitamin c, but can hinder or be hindered by other minerals.

same thing for any vitamin - molecular form matters.  some have to go through a lot of conversion before your body can use it.

Edited by gardenmom5
  • Like 1

I've had iron issues all my life and when I was pregnant, it was always worse. The shortness of breath can absolutely be linked to low iron. It was with me and mine was really low. The doc had me eat an orange or have OJ or some other Vit. C source with it. Some do absorb better and are easier on the stomach. I like Feosol (carbonyl iron). It's easier on the system for me that ferrous sulfate and works better.

• Like 1

When I was pregnant with DS1, my iron came back as anemic.  I was very tired and somewhat short of breath.  My midwives recommended Vitron-C, and within a week of starting it, I felt tremendously better.  I was able to breathe better, and I felt more like normal pregnant tired, not completely exhausted.  My midwives did say that that quick of a response was pretty expected.

My midwife with DS4 and DS5 said she sees the best results when her moms supplement B-complex vitamins instead of or in addition to iron.  The B-complex apparently really helps your body use iron.  She recommended a B-50 or a B-100, so you might try one of those as well.

Interesting.  I'll see how this "basic" addition goes, and if it's not better within a couple of weeks, see if I can modify a little.  Thanks for the brand name and B ideas.  

I believe that iron taken on an empty stomach absorbs better. Vit. C helps as well. I take my iron supplement at night before bed.

I don't know how long it takes to raise iron levels in the blood. Is your breathing trouble directly linked with low iron? Could it be due to breathing issues (e.g., asthma, allergies, smoking, fitness levels, etc.)?

I learned about the Vit C connection on the last iron thread (at least, the last one I saw).  I had no idea about that before.  Now I'm taking them with at least a mandarin orange (decent amount of Vit C) and sometimes a pomelo (huge amount of Vit C), so that shouldn't be an issue.  I used to think the breathing issues were due to asthma I supposedly have (got me kicked out of the AF about 30 years ago, but no symptoms since - nor has any doctor "heard it" since then), but now I'm definitely not certain, esp since it's getting worse and always comes with exertion beyond basic walking (which I can do for miles - just don't add even small hills or stairs).  I know it's not smoking, allergies, or fitness levels - never smoked nor been in a smoking environment, no allergies, and fitness level has been able to do these things before - even couch potatoes who briefly join us don't get the breathing issues with the same things.

Again, it's not really my iron levels that are low (according to the last blood test).  It's the % of iron saturation on/in/with the hemoglobin.  Since oxygen needs that to hook onto, therein is supposedly the problem.  Since the iron is on the lower side of normal, supposedly (according to the doctor), the first thing to do is increase iron levels, but she didn't want to do too much to cause other problems - hence the every other day bit.

I'm just getting annoyed at getting out of breath hoeing, walking the (very) small hills, and going from my basement to my second floor (two flights of stairs).  Enough is enough, so time to concentrate on fixing it.  ;)  At least I don't have to carry water to the ponies anymore due to pasture changes.  

It's not a whole lot of fun being tired more than before either, but that could be due to stress from the various issues going on with our parents and having to fit far more into our schedules - plus a lot of last minute changes.

what form of iron does your supplement contain?  some are much more easily absorbed by the body than others.  it does better with vitamin c, but can hinder or be hindered by other minerals.

same thing for any vitamin - molecular form matters.  some have to go through a lot of conversion before your body can use it.

It's the Walmart variety - ferrous sulfate I believe.  I just picked it up today while getting Easter candy for college care packages.  I suspect it was the same with the multi-vitamin too, but haven't checked - if it's even on that container.

• Like 1

Interesting.  I'll see how this "basic" addition goes, and if it's not better within a couple of weeks, see if I can modify a little.  Thanks for the brand name and B ideas.  

I learned about the Vit C connection on the last iron thread (at least, the last one I saw).  I had no idea about that before.  Now I'm taking them with at least a mandarin orange (decent amount of Vit C) and sometimes a pomelo (huge amount of Vit C), so that shouldn't be an issue.  I used to think the breathing issues were due to asthma I supposedly have (got me kicked out of the AF about 30 years ago, but no symptoms since - nor has any doctor "heard it" since then), but now I'm definitely not certain, esp since it's getting worse and always comes with exertion beyond basic walking (which I can do for miles - just don't add even small hills or stairs).  I know it's not smoking, allergies, or fitness levels - never smoked nor been in a smoking environment, no allergies, and fitness level has been able to do these things before - even couch potatoes who briefly join us don't get the breathing issues with the same things.

Again, it's not really my iron levels that are low (according to the last blood test).  It's the % of iron saturation on/in/with the hemoglobin.  Since oxygen needs that to hook onto, therein is supposedly the problem.  Since the iron is on the lower side of normal, supposedly (according to the doctor), the first thing to do is increase iron levels, but she didn't want to do too much to cause other problems - hence the every other day bit.

I'm just getting annoyed at getting out of breath hoeing, walking the (very) small hills, and going from my basement to my second floor (two flights of stairs).  Enough is enough, so time to concentrate on fixing it.   ;)  At least I don't have to carry water to the ponies anymore due to pasture changes.  

It's not a whole lot of fun being tired more than before either, but that could be due to stress from the various issues going on with our parents and having to fit far more into our schedules - plus a lot of last minute changes.

I hope that things improve soon.  Have you done any deep breathing and/or relaxation exercises to try and get some immediate relief from the shortness of breath and feelings of stress?

• Like 1

I see a hematologist for chronic anemia.  200mg of an easily absorbable elemental iron form is the minimum he prescribes for any lows, including saturation.  I take 125mg of NovaFerrum at night.  In the morning I take a Thorne Ferrasorb with an additional 50 mg of Iron Bisglycinate.  I don't absorb iron salts, like ferrous sulfate, at all, so it depends on what works best for you.

I don't think that all the information being presenting is correct.  Here is a link with a good table to show you what low saturation means in comparison to low ferritin, TIBC, etc., that might explain it better.  You can be anemic with a normal ferritin level.  My insurance approves transfusions using saturation levels as one determining factor.

ETA: It takes a week for new cells to begin circulating, and two to three weeks for them to have effect.  

Taking iron with food or other vitamins (outside of D, C, and B) can lower the absorption rate by 40-60%.

Edited by melmichigan
  • Like 2

When I used to need iron, if I took Stuarts' prenatal vitamins, I would feel noticeably better in a week.

If I took Theragram M or generic prenatals, I would never feel better.

I concluded from this that there was something special about the Stuart's, and I stuck with those.

Now that I am finished with menopause, I don't need supplemental iron all that often.  Something to look forward to!

• Like 1

I hope that things improve soon.  Have you done any deep breathing and/or relaxation exercises to try and get some immediate relief from the shortness of breath and feelings of stress?

No, but I get relief fairly quickly from stopping and resting for a few minutes - or with walking - just going back to flat (esp if I'm not talking), so it's not really all that bad yet.  I just want to stop it from getting bad.

I don't think I feel the stress most of the time, but I'm not going to dismiss that as a possibility.

I see a hematologist for chronic anemia.  200mg of an easily absorbable elemental iron form is the minimum he prescribes for any lows, including saturation.  I take 125mg of NovaFerrum at night.  In the morning I take a Thorne Ferrasorb with an additional 50 mg of Iron Bisglycinate.  I don't absorb iron salts, like ferrous sulfate, at all, so it depends on what works best for you.

I don't think that all the information being presenting is correct.  Here is a link with a good table to show you what low saturation means in comparison to low ferritin, TIBC, etc., that might explain it better.  You can be anemic with a normal ferritin level.  My insurance approves transfusions using saturation levels as one determining factor.

It takes a week for new cells to begin circulating, and two to three weeks for them to have effect.  

Taking iron with food or other vitamins (outside of D, C, and B) can lower the absorption rate by 40-60%.

This is very helpful!  Thanks.  (Though I'll have to read that chart, etc, when I'm less tired to comprehend it the best.)  

I'll give it a couple of weeks or so to see if this iron works - with Vit C - and without food.  If not, I'll try switching to something else and/or adding B vitamins to it.  At this point with the Iron tests, only the saturation level is flagged low.  Iron is in the lower half of normal.  Others are well into the normal range.

• Like 1

No, but I get relief fairly quickly from stopping and resting for a few minutes - or with walking - just going back to flat (esp if I'm not talking), so it's not really all that bad yet.  I just want to stop it from getting bad.

I don't think I feel the stress most of the time, but I'm not going to dismiss that as a possibility.

This is very helpful!  Thanks.  (Though I'll have to read that chart, etc, when I'm less tired to comprehend it the best.)  

I'll give it a couple of weeks or so to see if this iron works - with Vit C - and without food.  If not, I'll try switching to something else and/or adding B vitamins to it.  At this point with the Iron tests, only the saturation level is flagged low.  Iron is in the lower half of normal.  Others are well into the normal range.

If it helps any, when my levels are dropping here's how it goes: my saturation drops, then my ferritin drops, then my hemoglobin drops.  Not each level in isolation, but that is how they impact one another.  So, when we tested the other day for something else and realized my hemoglobin has dropped I don't even have to test my ferritin or saturation because it's a forgone conclusion that they are low.  (There are some conditions that will make this an incorrect statement, but those are listed on that chart as well.)

Edited by melmichigan
  • Like 2

Shortness of breath is linked to Vitamin B12 deficiency.  Did they check that when they did your blood work?

Folate, iron, and B12 are linked to each other.  If any are low, you won't absorb the others.  

ETA:  They call it the "sighs" in the B12 deficiency world.  

Edited by mom2samlibby
  • Like 2

Shortness of breath is linked to Vitamin B12 deficiency.  Did they check that when they did your blood work?

Folate, iron, and B12 are linked to each other.  If any are low, you won't absorb the others.  

No, that is not one that was checked, so I'll keep it in mind.

If these "basic" changes don't work, I suspect they'll do more.  If not, I can always get various lab tests done myself to check on them.

The biggie might be trying to take iron on an "empty stomach."  I never get hungry anymore - not since radiation ended 3+ years ago anyway - and I strongly suspect my digestive system is quite slow.  For now, I'm guessing it's at its emptiest first thing in the morning.  I'm starting off trying the iron and vitamin pills plus a mandarin orange (and my green tea - hopefully no complications with that) every other morning as breakfast.  On those days I'll also try for a late lunch.  I might end up having to skip supper the night before too.  Overall though, I don't want to quit eating so much that my metabolism adjusts to fewer calories.  It's already done that once from (presumably) not eating much.  When I do eat I can gain weight super quickly.   :cursing:   It wasn't until I read that follow up on The Biggest Loser contestants that I realized that could be an issue.  (sigh)

No, that is not one that was checked, so I'll keep it in mind.

If these "basic" changes don't work, I suspect they'll do more.  If not, I can always get various lab tests done myself to check on them.

The biggie might be trying to take iron on an "empty stomach."  I never get hungry anymore - not since radiation ended 3+ years ago anyway - and I strongly suspect my digestive system is quite slow.  For now, I'm guessing it's at its emptiest first thing in the morning.  I'm starting off trying the iron and vitamin pills plus a mandarin orange (and my green tea - hopefully no complications with that) every other morning as breakfast.  On those days I'll also try for a late lunch.  I might end up having to skip supper the night before too.  Overall though, I don't want to quit eating so much that my metabolism adjusts to fewer calories.  It's already done that once from (presumably) not eating much.  When I do eat I can gain weight super quickly.   :cursing:   It wasn't until I read that follow up on The Biggest Loser contestants that I realized that could be an issue.  (sigh)

Many good iron supplements (Thorne Ferrasorb as one example) contain natural forms of folate and b12 to help with that balance.

If your digestion is slow you might find ferrous sulfate, especially at the needed level, to cause more intestinal problems.  It can be very constipating and people often need some colace at those doses.

Iron negates the antioxidants in green tea, and if it's caffeinated the green tea decreases iron absorption, but some is better than none.  If you can't take it on an empty stomach without other vitamins (such as those in a multi vitamin) then just do that, it will take longer, but it's still better than not taking it.  Managing doses of iron, my other meds including synthroid, meals, etc., sometimes means something has to give.  Just do the best you can.

Edited by melmichigan
  • Like 2

Many good iron supplements (Thorne Ferrasorb as one example) contain natural forms of folate and b12 to help with that balance.

If your digestion is slow you might find ferrous sulfate, especially at the needed level, to cause more intestinal problems.  It can be very constipating and people often need some colace at those doses.

Iron negates the antioxidants in green tea, and if it's caffeinated the green tea decreases iron absorption, but some is better than none.  If you can't take it on an empty stomach without other vitamins (such as those in a multi vitamin) then just do that, it will take longer, but it's still better than not taking it.  Managing doses of iron, my other meds including synthroid, meals, etc., sometimes means something has to give.  Just do the best you can.

It's beginning to sound like it might be easier to move to a one story house in a flat state TBH.  Or at least it seemed that way walking back from my neighbors this evening.  I can easily handle 13 miles walking on flat (did that less than two months ago - averaged 3mph).  Less than a 10th of a mile up a slight (not steep) grade?  I can do it, but not without breathing harder.  (sigh)  

Hopefully it will get better with the added iron.  If not, I'll try switching.  I don't think I can drop the tea in the morning.  I need the caffeine to get going (and later in the day to keep going).  I'll see what I can swap around though.

• 4 weeks later...

Those of you who didn't feel well when taking ferrous sulfate, what were you experiencing?  I've seen digestive things listed, but those haven't been an issue for me.

Today was an incredibly crappy day.  from the start I was tired from doing next to nothing, would sit for a bit and it'd improve, but when I get up after sitting, almost everything aches for a bit (several minutes - until I can walk it off).  Then I went out to weed the garden and have had chest pain ever since.  If chest pains weren't a relatively regular occurrence, I'd be far more concerned besides just annoyed/frustrated.  It seemed to go along with the other muscle type pains from being used - definitely started from hoeing - but it's difficult to walk that one off as with leg muscles, so while it's better now (just sitting again), it's not pain free.

Does that come from the iron?  Things like that (esp muscle achiness) seem to have gotten a bit worse lately and I'm trying to mentally backtrack to figure out if they're always worse on the days I take the iron.

Breathing hasn't improved either.  If anything, it's gotten worse, but that may be simply because I'm just more active when the weather is good.

I'm very seriously thinking of stopping the iron to see if things improve (go back to the way they were at least), but would also consider a different type if this sort of thing happened with others and improved with a different type.

• 5 weeks later...

Just updating because I know I prefer when an OP updates a post like this - and because it could potentially help some other person in the future.

I did totally stop adding iron right after that last post I made May 3rd.  New symptoms (such as joint pain) went away - completely at this point, but it took a little time.  I haven't had any more "bad" chest pains either. That's back to more of "my" normal.  Fatigue is gone - energy is back.  There's no doubt in my mind that it was all due to adding Iron in my diet - via the Vitamins first and the added Supplement later.  The only question I had was if there was still a problem test-wise.

Got new Fe test numbers (and other blood numbers) back today.  All Fe related stuff is normal (only fasting glucose, cholesterol, and Total Bilirubin were high - everything else is fine).  Totally normal.  Just like it was roughly one year ago.  I strongly suspect January's numbers were incorrect (bad test for whatever reason) rather than their being any problem at all.

When I went in to the dr asking about it I requested a retest because that test was so "out of ordinary" compared to my other issues and I didn't have any symptoms of issues at all, but she said there was no harm in just upping the iron.  I went with her thoughts.  In hindsight, I'd have saved myself a few months of painful/tired issues if I had gone with my instinct and it's a test I could have done on my own - I didn't need her ok.  

There is one fringe benefit though.  Once things have been worse, the return to "better" is quite nice even if that "better" used to be "bad."  ;)

So... my suggestion to anyone out there in any sort of similar boat is to RETEST if test results leave you scratching your head going WTH???  Where did THAT come from?  That puzzle piece you just discovered might not be from your puzzle at all.

Oh... I also plan to cut back on the natural iron in my diet sometime in the future to see if that eliminates all chest pain.  It's a variable thing and I'm seriously wondering if the variance correlates with higher iron in my diet.  My body just might not like the stuff even if others need more of it than normal.  Being "weird" like that would not be unusual (sigh).

Breathing issues were totally unaffected from all of this.  They're just progressively getting worse over time.  Such is life (for me) I suspect.  One issue is done.  Sooner or later I'll figure out how to clear up the others (hopefully).