Menu

Travel vent

AmandaVT

This is a JAWM post, please. 

I am going away this weekend for a 40th birthday weekend away with my aunt and my mom. I've been saving up for 2 years for this trip and we've all been looking forward to it. We were supposed to leave at 6 am today and return on Sunday afternoon. 

I have now been in our home/local airport for 10 hours waiting for a plane. We boarded, then had to wait, then were de-planed and have been here ever since. The plane had a mechanical issue, which needed to be fixed. The crew here couldn't fix it and they had to fly parts in from Michigan. So we waited. Then the flight crew "timed out" and now they need to fly in a new flight crew. My 6 am flight has now turned into a 430pm flight, which would make us miss the last connection to SC for the night because it gets to Atlanta too late. 

So, they found us a 5 pm flight going through Detroit, which is fine. But now instead of the nice "comfort plus" seats (a little extra legroom, slightly bigger seats and in the front of the plane) that I paid extra for, we're going to be in separate seats on the flight, get into Charleston at 11pm and then I have to figure out how in the heck to get an Uber to the airport. 

Meanwhile, my aunt's flight left on time and she arrived at noon. She took the nice car service that we had ordered (and paid for) and is now out to lunch and missing us. My mom's grumpy, my aunt is distraught and I just want to go back to bed. :-( 

I am very grateful that they checked the brakes before we left, so we didn't have any landing mishaps. I will be super excited to actually get there later, even if it's midnight. But I'm tired and sad that my weekend away is being cut by a third. 

I will say that the Delta employees have been amazing. They have gone above and beyond over and over today. This morning, they brought in coffee, bagels, and muffins for everyone. Then they brought in snacks and now they have Subway, tons of subs, salads, and drinks. We've already been issued $150 vouchers for the next time we fly and everyone is bending over backward to try and help us stranded folks. 

• Like 3

I am so sorry. That's miserable! Do check with them and see when and on what flight your luggage  will arrive. If it comes after you they will deliver it but still...

My new friend Marlene at the gate took down my luggage info, including my detailed descriptions of both of our suitcases. She then took it to the baggage handlers and said she would make sure they were re-tagged and moved to our new flight. I believe I will send her flowers if her plan works! I'm in jeans and a sweater right now and will boil in SC in this if I have no luggage! Thankfully my essentials are in my travel bag, so I'd be ok (except for clothes). But I could brush teeth, wash face and take my bcp before bed at least.

• Like 3

It's nice to make new friends. ;)

For sure. I've been in touch with Delta via twitter direct message (they're very responsive and I don't have anything else to do with my time right now anyway) and have asked them to please let management know how great the airport workers have been. 

Also,  FYI - if you're stranded at the airport for hours because of a mechanical issue and the agents are working their butts off trying to get everyone where they need to go - don't walk up and start screaming curse words at them when it's your turn. Yelling at them that they're not trying and are withholding information and then telling them where they can stick said information is not conducive to you getting good seats on your rescheduled flight. Also, the agent may dress you down very professionally until you apologize in front of everyone watching. And we might cheer the agent on. :-)

• Like 13

:grouphug:  Trying to look at the bright side, this will make quite the reminiscent story in, say, 10 years.  For here and now, I hope everything goes smoothly from this point on.   :grouphug:

ps  I'm glad you're nice to the agents.  We've seen those idiots who are not and while they're impressive (make an impression), it's not in a good way.  It certainly isn't the agent or the airline's (in general) fault.  None of them set out with an evil (happy) grin when these situations arise.  They tend to be as frustrated as everyone else!

• Like 2

Agreeing, that is such a drag to have your time cut short. You sound like you're holding it together well and I hope you have a blast.

What kinds of stuff were you going to be doing on your trip? Relaxing? Touring historical sights? Catching a concert?

I love it that you are including the good stuff, being compensated with food and the vouchers. 

For sure. I've been in touch with Delta via twitter direct message (they're very responsive and I don't have anything else to do with my time right now anyway) and have asked them to please let management know how great the airport workers have been. 

Also,  FYI - if you're stranded at the airport for hours because of a mechanical issue and the agents are working their butts off trying to get everyone where they need to go - don't walk up and start screaming curse words at them when it's your turn. Yelling at them that they're not trying and are withholding information and then telling them where they can stick said information is not conducive to you getting good seats on your rescheduled flight. Also, the agent may dress you down very professionally until you apologize in front of everyone watching. And we might cheer the agent on. :-)

Amen to the 2nd paragraph.  Years ago, I got to DFW Airport, but my checked luggage did not make it.  After all of the luggage had been unloaded, mine still was not there. I went into the little office where they help passengers with Baggage issues. I am a former airline employee.  I waited for the people ahead of me in the line. The guy about 2 people ahead of me really chewed the airline person out. It was not his or her fault in any way and they are there to try to help passengers with issues who the agent knows are upset, but...   When it was my turn, I said something like, "I know you did not lose my bag. Please help me get it back".  I had my car parked in a Motel near the airport and went there. The next morning, the Message light on the phone in my room was blinking when I woke up.  I called the Front Desk to see what the message was and was told my bag was at the front desk.  

Whenever there is an issue, try to begin with you know the person you are speaking with is not the one who caused the issue.

In the event of the OP, that's a PITA and I have waited hours for flights that were delayed for Mechanical or Weather reasons, but always believe that it is better to arrive late than never.

I hope you  and your Aunt and Mother enjoy the rest of their weekend!

• Like 2

Whenever there is an issue, try to begin with you know the person you are speaking with is not the one who caused the issue.

In the event of the OP, that's a PITA and I have waited hours for flights that were delayed for Mechanical or Weather reasons, but always believe that it is better to arrive late than never.

I hope you  and your Aunt and Mother enjoy the rest of their weekend!

Yup, that's exactly what I did. I brought my boarding pass and said "I'm one of the people stranded, are you the right person to ask for help?" and we had a perfectly nice conversation. Because it was a fluid situation, they were great about letting us know what was happening and how they could help. They even got my mom a first class ticket for our Detroit-charleston leg just now. They tried to get me one too, but there was only the one seat left, but I was glad my mom got a big comfy seat!

I just made it to the hotel - all was smooth once they switched us out of the haunted flight. I just checked flight aware and our original 6am flight, left at 11:30pm. Yikes! There were a few people still taking it when we left.

Glad we're here and it was still 72 at 11pm! We are under a winter storm warning this weekend at home, so I am happy to be here.

Will update more tomorrow - I've been up since 3am and am about to faceplant into my laptop. Couldn't go to bed without updating the Hive though!!

• Like 15

Glad you made it. We had our 25th anniversary trip delayed by a day due to airline problems. No yelling by us, just figuring out when we would leave Chicago and chanel planes and get to Jackson Hole and where we would be spending the night. Our 3 leg trip turned into a four leg trip.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

This is a JAWM post, please. 

I am going away this weekend for a 40th birthday weekend away with my aunt and my mom. I've been saving up for 2 years for this trip and we've all been looking forward to it. We were supposed to leave at 6 am today and return on Sunday afternoon. 

I have now been in our home/local airport for 10 hours waiting for a plane. We boarded, then had to wait, then were de-planed and have been here ever since. The plane had a mechanical issue, which needed to be fixed. The crew here couldn't fix it and they had to fly parts in from Michigan. So we waited. Then the flight crew "timed out" and now they need to fly in a new flight crew. My 6 am flight has now turned into a 430pm flight, which would make us miss the last connection to SC for the night because it gets to Atlanta too late. 

So, they found us a 5 pm flight going through Detroit, which is fine. But now instead of the nice "comfort plus" seats (a little extra legroom, slightly bigger seats and in the front of the plane) that I paid extra for, we're going to be in separate seats on the flight, get into Charleston at 11pm and then I have to figure out how in the heck to get an Uber to the airport. 

Meanwhile, my aunt's flight left on time and she arrived at noon. She took the nice car service that we had ordered (and paid for) and is now out to lunch and missing us. My mom's grumpy, my aunt is distraught and I just want to go back to bed. :-( 

I am very grateful that they checked the brakes before we left, so we didn't have any landing mishaps. I will be super excited to actually get there later, even if it's midnight. But I'm tired and sad that my weekend away is being cut by a third. 

I will say that the Delta employees have been amazing. They have gone above and beyond over and over today. This morning, they brought in coffee, bagels, and muffins for everyone. Then they brought in snacks and now they have Subway, tons of subs, salads, and drinks. We've already been issued $150 vouchers for the next time we fly and everyone is bending over backward to try and help us stranded folks. 

After the reviews I read on Delta lately, I guessed this was Delta before I got to your final paragraph.

I am so sorry you are going through all this!