Menu

This amazes me more than the groups thing..

First of all, why keep the placenta? I guess I'm just too old to want something like that in my freezer. This coming from someone who has had racoons, deer heads and mountain oysters in her freezer. You ladies have me beat for odd freezer contents.

Secondly, why in the world don't you people bury those things? I don't get it. How many of you have those in your freezers??

Lastly, GET OFF YOUR DONKEYS AND BURY THOSE THINGS. IT'S GROSS.

Go do it now. I don't care if it's too cold, too hot, frozen or muddy. I dare you, I double dog dare you, put those things down.

I have shovels at my house.

1st baby's was in there for a year.

Then we burried it.

2nd baby's never made it to the freezer.

Midwife took it home, dried it, and put it into capsules for me to take.

Helps with PPD

AND you can actually use them again in the menopausal years....if you have any left!

Lastly, GET OFF YOUR DONKEYS AND BURY THOSE THINGS. IT'S GROSS.

Hey, don't you remember a previous discussion about putting the placenta in a smoothie and drinking it?

Can't they do that instead of burying it? Especially if it is too cold outside to go and dig holes.

Respectfully,

An Idea-Laden RC

Hey, don't you remember a previous discussion about putting the placenta in a smoothie and drinking it?

Can't they do that instead of burying it? Especially if it is too cold outside to go and dig holes.

Respectfully,

An Idea-Laden RC

No, they may not do that. And don't you people ever razz me about mountain oysters again. Placenta smoothies??? Is there a smiley face that's tossing it's cookies, I need it now!

Y'all are funny, I think you're pulling my leg.

I'm too rural. I have had four kids in the past 9 years and nobody offered me my placenta. So out of pure curiosity do they put it in a jar, bag, or what?:glare: I am envisioning you being wheeled out of the hospital with a bag of placenta on your lap. Or if you home birth do you have your husband run and grab a large zip lock baggy to put it into the freezer? Now I'm going to go to our homeschool mom's night out and start a conversation about who has their placenta in the freezer!

Wow! Apparently I live in an isolated area!

The placenta thing strikes me as odd, too. I mean, heck, I don't save scabs or belly button lint, so what makes a placenta any different? I must be missing something.

Are there any scientific studies that show that placental tissue is actually helpful for depression? If so, please link.

Ria

Oh my gosh!!! You people are serious? This is ucky, so very wrong in so many ways!!

If you had ever battled with PPD you would perhaps feel quite different.

I swallowed my placenta in capsules. There was nothing gross about it.

Many cultures around the world eat theirs.

As do most mammals.

I have a placenta in my freezer. It's over 10 years old & I've moved with it twice now. I was going to plant it somewhere special. With a special tree. And I can't decide where or what tree & so it just lies there, waiting. I was going to do it this summer & get a cherry tree for it, but then I got worried about the coyotes, raccoons, bears and now, the cougar, smelling it and digging it up....

At this rate, I might just save it to give to ds for his graduation. Let him figure out where to plant it.

I rebagged it recently so it wouldn't look the same as the dog's raw meat food because I would have been really mad if dh accidentally gave it to the dogs.

As do most mammals.

I had PPD with my second child and I am still certain that if they recommended giving me capsules of my placenta I would not have done it. It is all a matter of opinion. I think way too much into things to be able to ingest a placenta. I can't twist it in my mind to make it anything other than a placenta!

At this rate, I might just save it to give to ds for his graduation. Let him figure out where to plant it.

I rebagged it recently so it wouldn't look the same as the dog's raw meat food because I would have been really mad if dh accidentally gave it to the dogs.

:lol::lol::lol:

I am so glad I was alone when I read this!

Well, I couldn't eat mine, but I can see why people would. I don't think it's any different than eating mountain oysters or the eyeballs, stomach, tongue, or brains of other animals. All of those things disgust me beyond belief, but I know that people eat them and LOVE them. Why is this different?

(And on an unrelated note, I was recently privy to an online conversation about tongue recipes...where's that barfing smiley? I actually gag a little when I think about it too long :svengo:)

As do most mammals.

Hey, I'm kidding. If it helped you that's wonderful. I never had PPD so I'm sure not judging.

Cows do eat them, but I've never seen any of my mares do that. I guess I'm more equiney than boviney. Although I have been referred to as a cow before.

I think the "placenta in the freezer" phenomenon is mostly a result of homebirths. The placenta is considered to be "biological waste" and the midwife has no means of disposing of it. In our case, and many others, they were bagged up and placed in the freezer. I have one there now, and it is almost 2 1/2 years old. I am not particularly attached to it, I somply have not gotten around to disposing of it yet. My older ds's placenta was at least three before we finally buried it. My dd was born in a hospital, and we did not take the placenta home with us.

Another interesting practice (not for me, but still interesting) is the Lotus Birth.

I had all my dc in hospital and wasn't offered the placenta to take home, nor would I have wanted it. The midwife that delivered #4 did give me an interesting 'tour' of the placenta after ds was born, though. I can't imagine eating it in any form, even in capsules. It just seems way too canibalistic. Yuk.