Menu

Strength training - how to get started?

Vida Winter

If you are all beginners at this, the very first step is to get the ok from your doctor. Then, the best place to start would be a quality gym and work with a qualified trainer. You all want to learn the proper techniques involved in lifting safely, as well as learn how to set up a training program that will fit everyone's individual needs and goals. Then see if you can pay-as-you-go for a few weeks at the gym before investing in a full membership or your own equipment.

• Like 2

If you have not done any weight work previously, I would start with body weight exercises first.  Google it and you will find a bazillion references.

HasFit.com has a great selection of weight training videos.

Anne

• Like 6

If you have not done any weight work previously, I would start with body weight exercises first.  Google it and you will find a bazillion references.

HasFit.com has a great selection of weight training videos.

Anne

I'd still caution against injury if you don't know how to use correct techniques. Our own body weight is much bigger than most of us will try lifting as a beginner.

Learning to do a proper plank, squat, push-up, etc. is critical to prevent injury and ensure that you are doing an effective job working the correct muscles.

It's well worth the money to get some coaching from an expert in-person.

• Like 2

Maybe there is someone who could come to the house?

I combined this with what I remember from weight class in high school (my favorite portion of the P.E. program; I am not a runner).

ETA: he's a little blunt in some places, so my apologies if that bothers any readers. 

ETA2: I would actually go with a barbell for those who can handle its weight.  It's a lot easier to balance and add weight to than dumbbells.  We have dumbbells and they annoy me, so that is why I say this.  Not that we're in a good workout habit...   :closedeyes:

Edited by CES2005
  • Like 2

I use the elastics - there are many workouts both in book and on youtube.

one of the advantages is the resistance increases as you move - with free weights - there is a peak, and then it goes down.

you absolutely want controlled movements with NO momentum. (which defeats the purpose of "strength training".)

• Like 4

I like the book New Rules of Lifting for Women.  There are a few other titles as well.  It explains weights and gives you a program to follow. 

If you decide to do bodyweight exercises, I like Body by You.  There's also a non-woman's version.

Edited by JudoMom
  • Like 5

I work out multiple times a week with weight machines and some free weights. For me, my starting point was really low. I had had some health problems over the years and lost muscle. I think it's really easy to over-estimate your starting point and injure yourself or give yourself problems. Personally, I think the advice to start gently, just with body weight, is not overdoing it or being over-cautious. You can do more. Like right now I go to a class at the Y, sort of a bootcamp thing, and she'll let it beginners, yes. She varies the workout every time and brings in weights and bands and things. But those beginners are going to scale it back! So at the very least, do *less* than you think you can or need to. Better to ramp up slowly than have an injury.

If you just want something you can do inside that will get you stronger and more fit and more ready to do whatever it is you want to do in the spring, this would work well. Ironstrength Workout – Dr. Jordan Metzl His workout is specifically designed to catch spots that get injured easily doing other things like running. I used some of them after I hurt my back doing too much on machines too quickly. Really, you'll probably find the exercises more than vigorous enough. He includes a few exercises using weights. 

Edited by OhElizabeth
  • Like 2

Doing it as a family is great, because you can help "coach" each other and check each other's form!  If you have a variety of free weights and a bench, you can do an amazing number of different exercises.  

You might check out Lou Schuler's books.  And Girls Gone Strong has some really helpful YouTube videos showing proper form for squats, how to work up to being able to to a pull-up, etc.  Very helpful stuff!  There are lots of other good professional athletes and trainers who have YouTube videos that will teach you how to do any specific exercise that you want to learn.

One little tip I was taught and which has really helped me:  you want to pick a weight that is too heavy for you to be able to lift it 20 times, but light enough that you can lift it more than 5 times.  I generally aim for about 10-12 repetitions (but anywhere from 8 to 15 is also fine).  I used to use weights that were too light for me, and I never really made any progress.  Choosing a weight that is really hard for me to lift 10 times has made a world of difference.

• Like 5

I think the advice to get coaching is wise. If you cannot find an option for that, check out videos online and video yourselves. I just watched a ton of online videos. Girls Gone Strong is very good. I'll go look up some of the ones with guys instructing though if you have anyone in the family who would prefer watching a guy give instructions. 

Then watch for form. You can also join the Girls Gone Strong facebook group or one called New Rules for Lifting for women, Abs, and Supercharged. You can post videos on those groups and people will critique your form. 

Lou Schuler's books mentioned above are good. I would not do New Rules of Lifting for Women as the first choice. It was their first book and they have made many changes since then. Supercharged seems geared toward men and women. Strong is their newest one. 

The book, You Are Your Own Gym is quite good. It is a bodyweight exercise book and gives modifications so you can work at a move in an easier way then increase the difficulty. 

If you really want to lift, you'll need a bench and a barbell with plates as well as some dumbbells. I don't find them super cheap on Craigslist, but they are cheaper than retail. Expect to pay 50cents per pound for used dumbbells and plates. They tend to retail for around $1 per pound. 

• Like 3

Another thought, I started with a gym membership but the gym close to my house closed and I didn't want to drive so far.  I bought a barbell set, a dumbbell set, a bench, and a good mat.  I created my own workouts on bodybuilding.com to use on the app that use only those things.  I know that gyms have some great equipment, but between those things and bodyweight, you can have a great workout without the time and expense of a gym.

• Like 4

Thanks wintermom. The gym is not possible, though - too far to drive.

How close and convenient is your physio-therapist when you need to undo the damage of repetitive injuries from improper technique? When you start moving the body in set ways many, many times, it puts a lot of strain on muscles and tissues that may not be ready to handle it. Eventually they are going to get fatigued and start hurting. And when you can't sleep at night because of the pain, you'll need some help. That's when the PT is handy. So you can either avoid this and learn to move correctly, or try to fix it up later.

I like the book New Rules of Lifting for Women.  There are a few other titles as well.  It explains weights and gives you a program to follow. 

If you decide to do bodyweight exercises, I like Body by You.  There's also a non-woman's version.

These are the two resources I was going to recommend, but You Are Your Own Gym is as good as Body By You and usable by the whole family.  

Af far as form goes, obviously having a coach is ideal.  If you can't get someone to come to your house a few times, then you need to do a lot of research on youtube, install large mirrors in the workout room, and videotape each other to get your form in order before moving into heavy weights.  A coach or experienced friend could smooth this path for you, as often times with squats it's just a matter of a few pointers and you've got it, but without those pointers, it can be really hard to figure out exactly how each part is meant to move in a compound movement.  

Look into kettle balls as well.  

I have no experience with it, but I am eyeing the "elements" program at Gold Medal Bodies.  This is an all bodyweight routine designed to get you in touch with your body while improving fitness and range of motion.  

• Like 2

I second the recommendation for "You are Your Own Gym."

Personally, I started out with P90X, but I think P90 is a more realistic starting point for most folks.

You can also go to youtube and type in "bodyweight training;" there are thousands of workout videos to,choose from.

You could also check out what types of workout videos are available at your local library.

• Like 1

Strong Women Stay Young is an excellent book, but you have to read it very carefully to get the form exactly right.

It does things like a real personal trainer, though--starting with very low weights to learn the moves and the form, and then building very gradually to heftier ones.  It's one of the only exercise programs I have ever begun in which I didn't hurt the next day, but it really worked.

Essentrics was recommended here as a good program--it's alternativeish.  The author claims that you can strengthen your muscles either by stretching them or by contracting them, and presents ballet stretch type techniques in a DVD format.  I don't know whether she is correct about stretching being comparable to weight work in results; however, I HAVE read that stretching increases arterial flexibility, which may decrease risk of stroke (that last part yet to be confirmed experimentally.)  Here is a video that summarizes that study:  

• Like 2