Menu

Yay! The government got it right!

fairfarmhand

I may be late to the party and this has been a thing for years but last week I bought a package of strawberry plants. I saw on the package that SNAP recipients can use their cards and funds to buy plants and such for growing their own fruits and veggies!

How cool is that!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 17

It has been a thing for years, but it is cool :)

Here in NYC, if you spend $3 in SNAP at the greenmarket, they give you an extra $2 to spend there. Which is also cool - the idea is to buy more fruits and vegetables, though, to be fair, most of what *I* buy ends up being cookies and bialys. Which are delish. Oooh, and chocolate goat cheese truffles.

Just a note - you cannot, cannot, cannot buy soap, toothpaste, diapers, or menstrual supplies with SNAP. Many people who have never used SNAP are suffering from the erroneous belief that you can, and you can't.

• Like 2

Yep, you can also buy packets of herb and vegetable seeds if the store takes SNAP cards.  The couple of years we used snap I bought some basic veggie and herb seeds at Wal-mart.  At the time it was SUCH a huge blessing because it was time to start planting in the garden, and I just didn't have any extra funds for seeds.  That definitely stretched those benefit dollars to the max!

We have a program here that is supplemental to snap that allows people to spend up to $20 on vegetables at farmer's markets or certain stores and get another $20 in veggies free.

I swear when I had food stamps 20+ years ago that we could buy seeds even then. I just wish it was easier for people to grow food in their apartments!

• Like 1

We have a program here that is supplemental to snap that allows people to spend up to $20 on vegetables at farmer's markets or certain stores and get another $20 in veggies free.

I swear when I had food stamps 20+ years ago that we could buy seeds even then. I just wish it was easier for people to grow food in their apartments!

I do, too.  

Container gardening on a small patio or in a window doesn't necessarily yield much, or enough to can and save for later, or to necessarily make the commitment of resources and water worthwhile.   I wish it did, but from this container gardening failure - not all people/patios are cut out to successfully container garden.

I still think it's cool, though!