Menu

Clover Creek Physics question

DD also said it's not a lecture type class. It's more interactive and designed to supplement the work completed during the week (i.e., extra practice problems, power point slides, discussion, questions and answers).  The live online class is a key aspect to the course and one of the reasons our DD is enjoying the class and doing so well.

• Like 2

Math is the easy part of the class. Conceptual side is much, much tougher. Math makes things clearer. DS often thinks back to equations if he wants to figure out how things are related. Say today that's the only way he answered what was directly or invesly related when doing chapter review. So I would say Algebra 1 is enough for problem solving and it will be your friend in the class.

You don't need any background in physics. My son had none and he is learning a ton. I would say get a textbook and if you don't find understanding it difficult, you will likely do well in the class. Morning messages will do a lot more teaching and bring in math to the class. It's by far the hardest and most loved class for DS and he is enjoying all the classes this year.

Edited by Roadrunner
  • Like 2

By the way, if you are interested in Clover Creek physics class, I noticed Jetta opened up the registration already. I know last year spots filled up fast, so you might want to go over there and register or contact her.

Thank you for this.  I had it on my calendar for March 1.

Now we are all registered for online classes and ready to roll.  (Except I might add one more...LOL)

• Like 3

Love to know more too about Jetta's class! It sounds so great. We would also be looking toward 9th grade, concurrent with Geometry.

Do you need background in Physics at all?

It was because DD didn't have any background in physics that we signed her up for Jetta's class last year. Apparently we could never get past zoology, Dd's favorite science subject, so it was time to enroll. I'm not sure if the fee is about the same - it's just sort of low for the amount of work Jetta puts in. And we still have fond memories of her class.

• Like 2

Can I piggy-back and ask if the class would be okay for a ninth grader who is near the end of Algebra 1? My dd is doing Derek Owens Algebra 1, and it looks likely it will take her until sometime between August and October to finish. She will be doing geometry after that, so it seems an ideal time to do an Algebra based science, to keep those skills fresh during geometry.

I had the same question for Jetta before I enrolled. We didn't finish our algebra book before classes began. In fact Jetta and I discussed over email that taking an algebra based physics class would be great for DD to see how algebraic concepts apply to another subject, yet at the same time allow her to review some algebra throughout the year. The math is not hard - it was just the right time for us especially since we were still in the middle of AoPS and needing to apply what we learned somewhere else. DD likes labs and ended up loving lab reports.

• Like 2