Menu

Are these eggs good?

mommyoffive

Are you in the US or Europe? In the US, our eggs are washed, which removes the protective layer. Our eggs therefore have to be refrigerated. (To make it worse, since they *are* refrigerated, if you bring them to a place that is much warmer they'll develop a layer of condensation which can speed up the spoiling process.)

In Europe, eggs aren't washed, and don't have to be refrigerated.

Either way, unless you have a compromised immune system, I wouldn't worry about the eggs having been out one day, or even two or three. Eggs are pretty tough. It takes them more time to spoil than you think, even in America.

Edited by Tanaqui

I leave store bought eggs on the counter for weeks at a time. They take a LONG time to go bad. I definitely think that they're fine. If you're still nervous one way that you can tell is to crack each on into a couple, check it out, and then add it to your mixing bowl. If the yolk looks florescent or it smells then chuck it otherwise it's fine.

• Like 1

Are you in the US or Europe? In the US, our eggs are washed, which removes the protective layer. Our eggs therefore have to be refrigerated. (To make it worse, since they *are* refrigerated, if you bring them to a place that is much warmer they'll develop a layer of condensation which can speed up the spoiling process.)

In Europe, eggs aren't washed, and don't have to be refrigerated.

Either way, unless you have a compromised immune system, I wouldn't worry about the eggs having been out one day, or even two or three. Eggs are pretty tough. It takes them more time to spoil than you think, even in America.

US

US is the same a Canada in this regard. I've left US eggs for week on the counter with no trouble. In fact when I'm in the US I like to buy a box of eggs and slowly work my way through them. I don't find the bottom of the box weeks later to be any different then the top.

Eggs are either good or bad. You can float them to find out or just crack them and you will know right away. Whenever I start to run out of room in the fridge, I pull the eggs and leave them on the counter. Never had a single egg go bad. Even with the washing/oiling/refrigeration in the US it is pretty hard to make eggs go bad.

• Like 3

You can float them to determine if they're fresh, but that won't tell you if they've gone bad.  

If they sink, and lie horizontally at the bottom, they're super fresh.  The yolk will stand tall and the white will stay tight.  These taste the best, but can usually only be obtained from a farm.

If they sink, but stand upright, they're not as fresh, so the yolk may flatten a little, and the white may spread a bit.  They will taste slightly bland, but will be perfectly fine to eat.  (Most eggs still from the store are like this)

If they float, then they're not really fresh, but not necessarily bad.  They will spread out in the frying pan, and they won't have much flavor, but they won't make you sick.  They'll still be good for baking, or scrambled, and what-not.  Just make sure they're fully cooked.

If you break one open, and it stinks to high heaven (smells like rotten eggs) then toss them all way.  They are rotten.