Menu

Science and standardized tests

tdbates78

Hello! Per our state regulations my newly homeschooled first graders will have to take a standardized test in April. Right now they take a once-a-week hourly homeschoo science class through our Y and and that's pretty much it for science. However I'm worried about the standardized test. Does anyone know what kinds of science questions (physical,life,health...) may be on these tests? Or do you have a good first grade science curriculum to recommend?

Thanks!

Tracy

Decide which test to use and then find out what the science section of that test (of any) bases it's questions on. Here is information I found for the Stanford Achievement Test:

"The Science subtest assesses students’ understanding of the life, physical, and earth sciences, and the

nature of science with questions that elicit problem solving and inquiry using a basic understanding of

science. Reflecting current science practice and research, this subtest aligns with the National Science

Education Standards (National Research Council), the Benchmarks for Science Literacy (American

Association for the Advancement of Science), and state standards.

Students must use reasoning skills throughout the subtest to reach answers. These skills include

estimating, making simple calculations, seeking patterns, making observations, recognizing cause

and effect, reading standard instruments, and drawing conclusions. Students are challenged to apply

foundation concepts and skills as they think through questions."

For this test you could look up the standards referenced for your child's grade level.

Edited by maize

How important is it to do well in 1st grade on standardized tests? - just asking. Basically, I feel like doing a bunch of prep for the standardized test takes away from time you could be absorbing much cooler science and learning.

My kids essentially just read lots of library science books and do co-op science classes for elementary. They do come from a science family, but they are better prepared for high school science than their peers and they do great on high school standardized science tests. Never tested younger.

• Like 2

How important is it to do well in 1st grade on standardized tests? - just asking. Basically, I feel like doing a bunch of prep for the standardized test takes away from time you could be absorbing much cooler science and learning.

My kids essentially just read lots of library science books and do co-op science classes for elementary. They do come from a science family, but they are better prepared for high school science than their peers and they do great on high school standardized science tests. Never tested younger.

Good question. I am so not scientist-y :) I have a liberal arts degree for a reason! I am paranoid that they are not getting a well-rounded education, and I don't want my lack of interest in science to impede on their learning. I feel like we should be doing something.

I have a feeling most science standardized tests are mostly "reading comprehension about science stuff." In addition to reading a science article, they will probably have to understand simple charts and graphs and know simple science concepts. For example: This chart shows the high temperatures for every day in a week in May. What day had the highest temperature? 

My best advice is to check out some Magic School Bus and Let's Read and Find Out Science books from the library for read alouds every week and call it good!

• Like 4

Do you know if the science portion has to be taken or "counts" for your state requirements? We can take a standardized test to meet requirements but only the LA and Math sections are required. Most of the tests separate out the scores so you can choose not to report the science and social studies if you want (and your state doesn't require it). 

That said, my oldest took a standardized test in 2nd or 3rd grade. I didn't think it was going to have SS or Science on it and we didn't study. We used SOTW so had a fairly non--standard Social Studies curriculum at that point. And Science was interest led. Lots of videos and books about whatever he wanted to read about. A few activities thrown in. He did fine on both sections. They were very basic. 

• Like 1

I have a feeling most science standardized tests are mostly "reading comprehension about science stuff." In addition to reading a science article, 

My youngest took the 1st grade CAT/TerraNova last June, and the science section did not include any articles to read (I don't think he needed to read anything for the science section, iirc - I think I read the question and he needed to bubble below the picture that was the answer). I do agree about higher grade levels though - I took the GED in 2005, and the science section was indeed mostly "reading comprehension about science stuff".

I would indeed check if it matters what score they get. Here in NY the science score doesn't matter.

• Like 1

I never pay attention to the science scores (or the social study section).  This is one of those instances of teachers having to teach to the test.  Let's say you studied biology this year and the test is asking questions about weather.  If you feel like the test is important to do well on with science, you will just have to figure out what all the first graders studied this year.  Otherwise, don't worry about their scores on that section.  Somehow, my kids always did well on that section even if we hadn't studied the material at all.  Don't know why.

• Like 3

My kids essentially just read lots of library science books

This is what we did for elementary, too. It was purely interest-driven and not a ton of specifically "science" books.  I was always surprised that my kids did so well on the science sections of standardized tests (SAT10), even in junior high, without having "done" a science curriculum!  I would not stress at all about science on a standardized test!

• Like 2

Good question. I am so not scientist-y :) I have a liberal arts degree for a reason! I am paranoid that they are not getting a well-rounded education, and I don't want my lack of interest in science to impede on their learning. I feel like we should be doing something.

OK, this is important, but seems like standardized testing is just bringing it to the fore, right?

Yes to doing something with them beyond the coop. Not out of fear, but because you might just discover that science is a lot more fun than you remember! I never enjoyed science in school, but learning about the human body, or butterflies, or magnets, with a first grader? Super fun and low pressure.

• Like 2

I agree with above. Don't worry about it.  I taught at a private school where I gave the SAT 10 to first and fifth graders and the science questions were pretty random tidbits.  There was no reading at all on the first grade.  I read the questions aloud and they chose the picture that best answered the question.  It was pretty standard IMO.  I think you could read  the "What Your First Grader Needs to Know" book and be fine. 

• Like 1

What state are you in? I ask because questions asked will be line with your state's science education standards. I suggest you Google "______ (your state) science standards". If your state is one of those that has signed onto NGSS (Next Generation Science Standards) these standards are easily found by Googling "NGSS standards". Once you find the science standards for you state, you can orient your kid's study toward those standards, whatever they are. Bernie Nebel

Edited by Bernard J. Nebel
  • Like 1

I don't know about first grade, but the 4th grade science section of the SAT10 was very basic, and my son who had not had formal science (but just read library books) scored very high in that section.

My 2nd grader is currently doing public virtual school using a curriculum aligned to NGSS, and the 3rd grade level he's doing is also still pretty simple. He's done what living things are, some very basics of plants (roots, stems, leaves... and a very brief explanation of photosynthesis). It's still very simple.

Now 7th grade gets MUCH harder. :p I'm pretty sure my 7th grader is learning more in Life Science than I learned in high school biology 26 years ago. :p But the early grades are still learning to read, so their science and social studies are still very, very simple.

We take the woodcock-johnson test which is not just comprehension questions.     They ask seemingly random science questions on a variety of topics.   The woodcock-johnson science portion is really impossible to prepare or prep for.  The only way you can prepare for it is to expose your child to a lot of science 

That being said, my kids have always done VERY well on the science portion.   We follow the standard WTM cycle of teaching science.   So there are obviously going to be gaps in knowledge.   (Example:   If we spent the entire first-grade studying plants and animals, they probably won't know too much about simple machines or prisms/light.)    To combat this, I just tried to expose them to a lot of other science related information.   I always let them watch a lot of magic school bus before their standardized testing.   We also did the CC memory work which has allowed them to test very high.   We read through most of the "Let's read and find out" books together which also helped a lot.   I tried to always kindle their sense of wonder and keep them interested and curious in things.    

We have always taken the Stanford Achievement Test, and found science to be a non-issue.  I think in the early years, there is a section called "Environment" that covers science and social studies concepts -- but maybe I'm not remembering correctly.  They have had to know things like "plants need light to grow," "the toy car on the steepest inclined plane will probably roll the fastest," "it is healthy to drink water," and "that bird with the long, sharp talons probably catches prey."

Honestly, it is just common sense, and does not require any study of science.  If you truly feel your kids are science deficient, I agree with the recommendation of the Magic Schoolbus DVDs (we have the complete boxed set - it was very inexpensive), and maybe the Let's Read and Find Out science books.