Menu

Good grief. Elderly abandonment.

Laura Corin

That's awful! I wonder if somehow the facility caring for him could obtain legal custody.

I disagree with the article that this is common in the US though. This is the first time I've ever heard that term.

I can't figure out how it benefitted the son unless he was stealing his check while he was in the UK.
  • Like 1

I, too, wonder if the house fire was an accident or not.  Maybe the son was hoping for insurance money or something?  I do wonder if the son has some sort of mental illness.  He doesn't seem to be reacting normally at all.  I also worry for the safety and well being of his mother.  And what happened that the sister isn't even in the picture and hasn't been for years and years?  It sounds like there is a WHOLE lot more going on with this story and this family than just the abandonment of an elderly man.  And the one person that might talk no longer remembers.  I just hope he gets adequate care and someone makes sure that the wife is actually o.k.   :crying:

• Like 2

I, too, wonder if the house fire was an accident or not.  Maybe the son was hoping for insurance money or something?  I do wonder if the son has some sort of mental illness.  He doesn't seem to be reacting normally at all.  I also worry for the safety and well being of his mother.  And what happened that the sister isn't even in the picture and hasn't been for years and years?  It sounds like there is a WHOLE lot more going on with this story and this family than just the abandonment of an elderly man.  And the one person that might talk no longer remembers.  I just hope he gets adequate care and someone makes sure that the wife is actually o.k.   :crying:

\

I thought the article alluded to possible mental illness in the son. 

As for the daughter, she said she'd been estranged from the family. That may not have been by her choice.  Or she may have backed away for her own mental health or physical safety. She also believed her dad was safer in the UK, that is telling.  

• Like 2

That's awful! I wonder if somehow the facility caring for him could obtain legal custody.

I disagree with the article that this is common in the US though. This is the first time I've ever heard that term.

""Roger's future is now being decided by US courts. The Los Angeles authorities have taken control of his care. That's being challenged by Kevin and his mother but the legal papers show that the authorities accuse them of taking Roger to the UK and abandoning him there.""

all things considered, the court has a good case.

I can't figure out how it benefitted the son unless he was stealing his check while he was in the UK.

the son AND the mother/wife.   wife was in on it.  *she* could have said something to someone.  she sounds mentally with it.

the son might be manipulating (for anyone who deals with someone with a personality disorder should understand - he doesn't sound mentally ill to me. he sounds like a selfish jerk.), or mom/wife just plays favorite with her son over her husband.

There is so much more to this story. Two children who are so uncaring, returning to the house after the fire, The whole thing is really odd. 

yeah - more to the story.  makes you wonder where the homeowners insurance went . . . (mortgage companies require it, unless the mortgage is paid off.)