Menu

I am afraid of nuclear war

Barb_

I know we're treading close to the line here, but I hope we can restrict this to the original topic.

The 80s were my formative years. Like many of you I grew up under the shadow of the Cold War. Anxiety has made me avoid articles about nuclear weapons since the fall of the Berlin Wall, but I've recently begun forcing myself to pay attention again. With the movement of the doomsday clock I've come to believe there is a clear and present danger of nuclear annihilation in our lifetime. Now I'm willing to admit there may be some PTSD informing that opinion, but I also believe I'm not the only person convinced this is the case.

There is a bill that was introduced in congress that would restrict the use of nuclear weapons to after a congressional declaration of war. It's not a guaranteed failsafe, but a stop-and-think measure that I hope everyone can get behind regardless of political party.

Ladies, you are my friends. I've cried with you and laughed at your stories--I feel like I've shared my life with you on here for the past 15 years. Please. If you are also afraid, call your Representative and tell him or her so. Tell them to support this bill.

• Like 8

People with nuclear codes have accidentally leaked their own account passwords this week.

I have heard language about ignoring nuclear nonproliferation treaties, among others. Also language reversing 50 years of national diplomatic policy, and provocations to other major superpowers.

I also grew up in the 1980s.

These are scary times.

:(

• Like 7

People with nuclear codes have accidentally leaked their own account passwords this week.

:(

Same people are reportedly continuing to use private email servers and unsecured devices. I won't say any more about the hypocrisy, but just point out the security risk since everyone knows about it. Edited by Amy in NH
  • Like 6

@Barb_     IMO the biggest risk, at this time (January 27, 2017),  would be if North Korea launches an ICBM to the West Coast of the USA. Possibly only to Alaska or Hawaii.  The Interceptor Technology is not well tested (it is very difficult to arrange tests and costly).  If North Korea is able to weaponize an ICBM, with that range, that is a true risk for the West Coast of the USA, and for places closer to North Korea.  They are developing it...  What would happen if Los Angeles was attacked by North Korea? Or San Francisco? One successful ICBM could inflict a lot of damage. 

The Technology of launching an ICBM that can reach one or more  targets is much more proven than Interceptor Technology.  The U.S. has  Interceptor Missiles in Alaska and also in California. Let us hope that they never need to be used, but that if they are used, pray that they work properly.  I doubt North Korea would launch toward Guam, but they might attack their neighbor, South Korea, which is a U.S. Ally,, or Japan, which are much closer.  

The world is a very very very  dangerous place in 2017.  Add Iran and ISIS into the mix and it is much more dangerous, every day.

• Like 1

@Barb_ IMO the biggest risk, at this time (January 27, 2017), would be if North Korea launches an ICBM to the West Coast of the USA. Possibly only to Alaska or Hawaii. The Interceptor Technology is not well tested (it is very difficult to arrange tests and costly). If North Korea is able to weaponize an ICBM, with that range, that is a true risk for the West Coast of the USA, and for places closer to North Korea. They are developing it... What would happen if Los Angeles was attacked by North Korea? Or San Francisco? One successful ICBM could inflict a lot of damage.

The Technology of launching an ICBM that can reach one or more targets is much more proven than Interceptor Technology. The U.S. has Interceptor Missiles in Alaska and also in California. Let us hope that they never need to be used, but that if they are used, pray that they work properly. I doubt North Korea would launch toward Guam, but they might attack their neighbor, South Korea, which is a U.S. Ally,, or Japan, which are much closer.

The world is a very very very dangerous place in 2017. Add Iran and ISIS into the mix and it is much more dangerous, every day.

I know, and they're waiting for someone to say something to give them a reason to use it.
  • Like 4

Same people are reportedly continuing to use private email servers and unsecured devices. I won't say any more about the hypocrisy, but just point out the security risk since everyone knows about it.

My husband would be fired if he leaked passwords or client information (even names) and none of his information poses a national security risk. My daughter's optometrist won't email her prescription to me because of HIPPA rules.  So, when I hear about people who are dealing classified information relating to national security playing fast and loose with it, I'm speechless.  Just... what the crap, people?  

As far as threat of a nuclear attack... our president and Russia's president seem to get along for some reason, so that's good. 

• Like 6

IMS the proposed Congressional bill would require a declaration of war before there could be a "first strike" use by the United States.

In the case of a retaliatory response, there would be no time window for Congressional oversight. 

Bill

• Like 1

My husband would be fired if he leaked passwords or client information (even names) and none of his information poses a national security risk. My daughter's optometrist won't email her prescription to me because of HIPPA rules. So, when I hear about people who are dealing classified information relating to national security playing fast and loose with it, I'm speechless. Just... what the crap, people?

As far as threat of a nuclear attack... our president and Russia's president seem to get along for some reason, so that's good.

How long will it stay good between two narcissists? They can't both be queen bee.

And what about China?

• Like 5

My husband would be fired if he leaked passwords or client information (even names) and none of his information poses a national security risk. My daughter's optometrist won't email her prescription to me because of HIPPA rules. So, when I hear about people who are dealing classified information relating to national security playing fast and loose with it, I'm speechless. Just... what the crap, people?

For now, but that could change over night, I think.

IMS the proposed Congressional bill would require a declaration of war before there could be a "first strike" use by the United States.

In the case of a retaliatory response, there would be no time window for Congressional oversight.

Bill

I understand your first sentence, but not the second. Can you clarify?

I'm with you. I'm terrified. As the days progress, I get more and more frightened. 

I remember the bomb drills (hiding under the desks) and living under constant fear of nuclear annihilation. Growing up in the DC suburbs during the Cold War amplified that fear. For decades, we had a firm plan of what to do in case of nuclear war . . . Drive TOWARDS D.C. for a rapid death as opposed to living through the slow death in the suburbs. 

The fear itself is dangerous, too, as it can be used to control the population. This is something we need to remember every day and as politics evolve. Who is using our fear? For what ends? Will a coup occur? Is that coup being planned already? What happens after the coup? What state of emergency actions will be taken and with what impact for how long? 

I'm rethinking the wisdom of living in the US. New Zealand is looking better all the time.

I've never been a conspiracy theorist . . . but . . .

((((hugs)))) and sympathy. 

• Like 9

I know, and they're waiting for someone to say something to give them a reason to use it.

North Korea doesn't need any reason. They tell their starving people to eat the roots of plants.  Possibly they will launch  one ICBM, and be successful with it, but if they do, tI hope they will incur a lot of damage.  

• Like 2

How long will it stay good between two narcissists? They can't both be queen bee.

And what about China?

Hey I'm trying to be optimistic here :) 

Neither my husband nor I worry about nuclear war because nobody (no nation) wants to use nuclear weapons.  They're merely a show of force, like a guy flexing his muscles.

China, well... we owe them a lot of money.  I don't see the motivation to utterly destroy us, not if they want to get paid.  Plus they make a ton of money through exporting stuff to the US.  Destruction or severely disabling the US would  nearly destroy their economy.  That would just be foolish.

OK, maybe N. Korea is worrisome because their leader is truly crazy, but even then... if he launches a nuclear missile, then North Korea will be  annihilated within an hour.  He knows this.  He's crazy but not stupid.  "If I launch a nuclear attack on the US or one of her allies, then I die within the hour.  Hmm.... what to do?  What to do?"

So, no, I'm not worried about nuclear war. 

• Like 10

I'm with you. I'm terrified. As the days progress, I get more and more frightened.

I remember the bomb drills (hiding under the desks) and living under constant fear of nuclear annihilation. Growing up in the DC suburbs during the Cold War amplified that fear. For decades, we had a firm plan of what to do in case of nuclear war . . . Drive TOWARDS D.C. for a rapid death as opposed to living through the slow death in the suburbs.

The fear itself is dangerous, too, as it can be used to control the population. This is something we need to remember every day and as politics evolve. Who is using our fear? For what ends? Will a coup occur? Is that coup being planned already? What happens after the coup? What state of emergency actions will be taken and with what impact for how long?

I'm rethinking the wisdom of living in the US. New Zealand is looking better all the time.

Those are excellent points I hadn't thought of. Thanks for bringing that up.

• Like 2

Hey I'm trying to be optimistic here :)

Neither my husband nor I worry about nuclear war because nobody (no nation) wants to use nuclear weapons. They're merely a show of force, like a guy flexing his muscles.

China, well... we owe them a lot of money. I don't see the motivation to utterly destroy us, not if they want to get paid. Plus they make a ton of money through exporting stuff to the US. Destruction or severely disabling the US would nearly destroy their economy. That would just be foolish.

OK, maybe N. Korea is worrisome because their leader is truly crazy, but even then... if he launches a nuclear missile, then North Korea will be annihilated within an hour. He knows this. He's crazy but not stupid. "If I launch a nuclear attack on the US or one of her allies, then I die within the hour. Hmm.... what to do? What to do?"

So, no, I'm not worried about nuclear war.

That's the reason that bill I linked up above is important. It takes the decision for first strike away from any individual president and theoretically gives it back to the nation (congress).

• Like 2

I think your fear is rational.  I do not fear I will be hit with a nuclear bomb, specifically, but the odds of us having a peaceful 4 years seem dim.  And I do not have faith that a use of force will be measured or rational or will not escalate.  These are frightening times. 

• Like 4

Thank you, Barb.

I'm somewhere between Duck 'n Cover drills and your generation. My mother was pregnant during the Bay of Pigs and my father had some insider information that has recently been declassified, so I did spend my childhood saying "if I grow up" instead of "when I grow up".

Your post was tasteful and nonpartisan.

You done good, girl.

• Like 3

Neither my husband nor I worry about nuclear war because nobody (no nation) wants to use nuclear weapons.  They're merely a show of force, like a guy flexing his muscles.

Which is why the decision about the use of nuclear weapons should rest with a governing body consisting of a large number of sane people, and not with a single individual.

For this to be the safer option, it does not even matter who that individual is. However, my level of worry depends greatly on the ability for impulse control by  the person who is given this power. I'd be less concerned if I could be sure that decisions are made after careful deliberation, weighing all factors, and listening to advice of experts.

Edited by regentrude
  • Like 5

The bolded is what worries me the most. Stir up fear, create the illusion of imminent threat, and suddenly we have martial law. Then you can control the press, arrest dissenters, round up the scapegoats-of-choice and put them in camps or deport them, all in the name of national security, and people will be too afraid to speak up.

• Like 13

I understand your first sentence, but not the second. Can you clarify?

Were a nuclear power to launch a missile attack on the United States the military doctrine for a response time would be very small. Closer to minutes than days.

A president (any president) would need to decide very quickly if he or she would launch a counterattack. It is a small window.

That small window would preclude the option of a Declaration of War by Congress based on the exigencies of time.

Bill

• Like 4