Menu

Looking to add some diversity to the Jr. High booklist- any suggestions?

I've started making ds' lit list for next year and would love to add some diversity but my brain is blanking and Google is failing me. Can anyone point me to some good lists or have any suggestions that you love? 

We are not following any theme for the next year, I'm aiming for us to read a book a month or so for lit, I'm trying to hit some classics we've missed so far (although of course can't get them all) but I don't want to leave out diversity for our subjects & authors.

TIA!

Ones we have read that ds has enjoyed: 

Chains by Laurie Halse Anderson (Revolutionary War told through the perspective of a young slave girl...the other two in the series are also excellent) 

A Long Walk to Water by Linda Sue Park (tough to read, about the lost boys of Sudan, but is told on a junior high or younger level and ends with some hope) 

Enchanted Air: Two Cultures, Two Wings: A Memoir by Margarita Engle 

Crossover by Kwame Alexander 

I Am Malala by Malala Yousafzai

The Boy Who Harnessed the Wind by William Kamkwamba (there is a younger reader edition and the original adult edition) 

Heart of a Samurai by Margi Preus (I haven't read this but I remember ds really liking it last year when he read it for a book club class) 

The Kite Fighters by Linda Sue Park
A Single Shard by Linda Sue Park 

Brown Girl Dreaming by Jacqueline Woodson (excellent! ) 

Inside Out and Back Again by Thanhh Lai

Wonder by R. J. Palacio 

El Deafo by Cece Bell (I haven't read this one either but ds liked it, it's a graphic novel about a girl with hearing loss)

Journey to Topaz by Yoshiko Uchida (about the Japanese internment camps in America, I remember this one vividly from reading it as a kid myself)

we have liked several of Joseph Bruhac's books about Native Americans, he has one Code Talker that I have thought about having my boys read at some point.  

• Like 5

Exactly how serious and/or grown-up do you want these books?

Gah. I am trying to figure out the answer to that. He is not a sensitive kid at all and Social Justice is a frequent topic BUT I am not looking to dive into super depressing and dark reads.for example he read I Am Malala but the YR edition and I thought was just perfect.

Gah. I am trying to figure out the answer to that. He is not a sensitive kid at all and Social Justice is a frequent topic BUT I am not looking to dive into super depressing and dark reads.for example he read I Am Malala but the YR edition and I thought was just perfect.

So some fun stuff mixed in with the grimdark? And some of it targeted towards kids instead of adults that we then make kids read? Gotcha. Gotta do my chores, then I'll post something. I'll try to divvy up into categories, but no promises.

• Like 1

Thank you Alice for all the suggestions. I feel bad now I didn't list we had already read but my mind blanked. We are doing BYL 7 this year which has a good chunk of diversity as it studies world cultures and I have tried to hit stuff here and there throughout the years.

Chains by Laurie Halse Anderson (Revolutionary War told through the perspective of a young slave girl...the other two in the series are also excellent)

I like the perspective change. Thanks

A Long Walk to Water by Linda Sue Park (tough to read, about the lost boys of Sudan, but is told on a junior high or younger level and ends with some hope) He is starting this next week.

Enchanted Air: Two Cultures, Two Wings: A Memoir by Margarita Engle

Looks wonderful!

Crossover by Kwame Alexander

Hmm I haven't heard of it, looks interesting

I Am Malala by Malala Yousafzai read the YR ed. This year

The Boy Who Harnessed the Wind by William Kamkwamba (there is a younger reader edition and the original adult edition) read YR ed. Last year

Heart of a Samurai by Margi Preus (I haven't read this but I remember ds really liking it last year when he read it for a book club class)

Oh, I have this one but I don'tthink he has read it, reading the description he would love it.

The Kite Fighters by Linda Sue Park-

Hmm. sounds good!

A Single Shard by Linda Sue Park

read

Brown Girl Dreaming by Jacqueline Woodson (excellent! )

I have this down, glad to hear the rec.

Inside Out and Back Again by Thanhh Lai

Looks good thank you!

Wonder by R. J. Palacio read

El Deafo by Cece Bell (I haven't read this one either but ds liked it, it's a graphic novel about a girl with hearing loss) read

Journey to Topaz by Yoshiko Uchida (about the Japanese internment camps in America, I remember this one vividly from reading it as a kid myself)

Sounds interesting, we've talked about this, I'd love to explore the topic some more.

we have liked several of Joseph Bruhac's books about Native Americans, he has one Code Talker that I have thought about having my boys read at some point.

we did some Bruchac books but I can't remember if we made it to that one, I know I did want him to read it.

So some fun stuff mixed in with the grimdark? And some of it targeted towards kids instead of adults that we then make kids read? Gotcha. Gotta do my chores, then I'll post something. I'll try to divvy up into categories, but no promises.

fabulous, thanks so much!

We just read Lily and Dunkin and I thought it was very well done for middle school. It deals with LGBTQ issues and mental illness sensitively and sympathetically without being too preachy or heavy. My girls, who don't like to read, enjoyed it. 

• Like 3

I love poking through your book lists! Hoping that quoting you here reminds you to post on this one.

• Like 1

Some of the books we have enjoyed together over the last year or two, even though many of them have already been mentioned: 

Inside Out and Back Again 
The Watsons Go to Birmingham 
Chains trilogy (Chains, Forge, Ashes)
Lily and Dunkin
As Brave As You
The Thing About Luck
Out of my Mind 
El Deafo
I am Malala (YR edition) 
Sold (about a girl being sold into sex slavery, this one might be too intense for some kids)
I am Nujood, Aged 10 and Divorced
Kira-Kira
Shooting Kabul
Farewell to Manzanar
Red Berries, White Cloud, Blue Sky
The Red Pencil
A Long Walk to Water
The Birchbark House series (The Game of Silence, The Blue Jay's Dance)
The Crossover
American Born Chinese 
One Crazy Summer (PS Be Eleven and Gone Crazy in Alabama)
March graphic novel series by John Lewis

• Like 1

Honestly, I meant to pop back sooner but then real life intervened. Boooo! (And it's still not over, so this is just a short list.)

So I'm going to divide this list into two sections: fiction written for kids and teens, and fiction written for adults. (I'll italicize those which I think were written for a slightly older group of teens). These aren't "reading level" divisions, or even necessarily divisions based on appropriateness, though as a rule the ones written for older groups will probably be slightly more complex or longer, but they will also be more likely to have mentions of sex or masturbation or explicit violence. As always, you are the one with the obligation to pre-read or to at least check out reviews if there are things you want to avoid or if you're concerned about books being "too easy" or "too hard". For reference, many of the "grown-up" books are books I read in the 8th or 9th grade, either in school or on my own.

Kids:

The Ear, the Eye, and the Arm

House of the Scorpion

Al Capone Does My Shirts (one of very few books with an autistic character that I have few reservations about handing over to a kid. The other is The Real Boy.)

Breadcrumbs

Codetalkers

Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian

El Deafo (skews a bit younger)

Deaf Child Crossing

Vodnik (includes one rather violent assault)

Hammer of Witches (skews a bit younger, I think)

Chains

Octavian Nothing

One Crazy Summer

Kinda Like Brothers

Wonderstruck

Brendan Buckley's Universe and Everything in It

American Born Chinese

Hellfighters

Bud, Not Buddy

Dave at Night

Hidden Roots

Celeste's Harlem Renaissance

Under a Painted Sky

Sugar

Monster

Sold

The Breadwinner

Summer of the Mariposas (many ties to The Odyssey here)

Flygirl

Wonder

Sunrise over Fallujah

Dash (definitely skews a bit young, but if you like it you can try Liberty by the same author)

Little White Duck

Persepolis

Black Dove, White Raven

Revolution is Not a Dinner Party

When My Name Was Keoko

Harlem Summer

Inside Out and Back Again

Out of Many Waters

Blackbird Fly

Boxers and Saints

The Birchbark House (skews slightly younger)

My Name Is Not Easy

Rain is Not My Indian Name

Echo

The Red Umbrella

The Dreamer

A Time to Dance

Where the Streets Had Names

Boys Without Names

Diamond in the Desert

Jefferson's Sons

Shooting Kabul

Outrun the Moon

Gaby, Lost and Found (skews a bit younger)

Save Me a Seat (definitely skews younger, but worth a read)

Becoming Naomi Leon

The Thing About Luck

A Long Walk to Water

Rabbit-Proof Fence (Wait, I read this in college. Should I have put this in the grown-up file?)

City of the Beasts

Geography Club

Gracefully Grayson

Some Assembly Required

Grown-ups:

Invisible Man

The Golem and the Jinni

Kindred

The House on Mango Street

Maus (Jews count, right?)

Roots

Things Fall Apart

Americanah

How the Garcia Girls Lost Their Accents

One Hundred Years of Solitude

The House of the Spirits

These books all do tend towards the SERIOUS, which is problematic in two ways. First, I'm not a fan of the death march through literature. More importantly, you do run the risk of sending the message that minority stories specifically are all about suffering and overcoming. If you like, I can make a secondary list of books that have no particular literary value other than being just plain fun.

Edited by Tanaqui
  • Like 2

edited for 5 mil typos- I was typing on my phone

Thank you all for the suggestions, real life has intervened Ihere as well so I haven't had a chance to look at them all yet although I have started to comb through them and tweak my list.

Tanaqui I am not interested in the death March either, I want some classics, some diversity, and some fun. How much of each I've got to figure out! I would love to see your more fun list.

EoE I would love your feminist lit. List. I like to keep that perspective in there for him. I was just thinking I need to add in more female perspective to his history list for next year too but I have got to do more searching. We are studying the history of Science if you have any good nonfic on female scientists, I have just a couple so far. Will have to come back to post lists my phone is dying.

Ds read A Long Walk to Water this week, it isn't even on his schedule yet but he thought it looked interesting and devoured it in a couple sittings. Another one he devoured this year was Breaking Stalin's Nose. I know neither are hard literature but it is good to read nonetheless. So, although I want some books that are harder I want more books like that as well.  Reading level isn't the most important thing, or should I say the only important thing, I've got much more to teach him than how to read hard books. The greater range today available from such a wide diversity of authors is something I want to take advantage of! AND I have a Social Work degree and like to include a perspective of social justice in education :)

Edited by soror

Okay, secondary list incoming. These all skew slightly younger than the first list, and I don't know why that should be the case. Note: A great many books in the first list are also hugely fun - but they do have tearjerker moments or some serious subjects. This list tends more towards fun with no crying at all. So The Birchbark House is mostly just fun - but there is a smallpox epidemic near the end. That sort of thing. (Also, some books I forgot before snuck on this list. Except for Nest and Salvage, they aren't SUPER serious - and Salvage is fun + serious combined. Nest, I'm sorry to say, is a wonderful book that will make you cry worse than when Lesley died in Bridge to Terebithia.)

Mirror of Fire and Dreaming

Bayou Magic

The Misadventures of the Family Fletcher

Ambassador and Nomad (must read both books. Really, this belongs on the first list, I just forgot about it!)

How Tia Lola Came to Stay (short books!)

Unusual Chickens for the Exceptional Poultry Farmer (this book is so adorable, I suggest it to EV ER Y BODY!)

Salvage (this is another one which should've been on the first list, but it definitely qualifies as feminist YA. Comes with a sequel that is also worth reading.)

Stranger (bit dystopian)

So You Want to Be a Wizard

Dangerous by Shannon Hale

Akata Witch (though it should be noted that this book is somewhat criticized for having a literal magic albino and also the fact that her magic removes most of the physical issues with her disability - though social ones still remain)

Zahrah, the Windseeker

Earth Force Rising (I'm not sure what I think of this book yet, but it's possibly the only middle grade or YA book I've ever read that explicitly used the word "neurodiversity", and I don't hate it, so give it a read)

How Mirka Got Her Sword

Mission Mumbai

The Great Green Heist

Pickle by Kim Baker

Not Your Sidekick

Millicent Min, Girl Genius (and its two companion novels)

The Boy at the End of the World

Eighth Grade Super Zero

How Lamar's Bad Prank Won a Bubba-Sized Trophy

The Toothpaste Millionaire

President of the Entire Fifth Grade

Geeks, Girls, and Secret Identities

Where the Mountain Meets the Moon

Starry River of the Sky

Year of the Dog

The Jumbies (a bit scary)

It Ain't So Awful, Falafel (slightly more serious than the others on this list)

Nest (this one belongs on the other list, for reals - covers anti-semitism, child abuse, parental suicide. But if I put it on the other list now, you won't see it.)

The Grand Plan to Fix Everything (very much written for a female audience)

Dragonwings (forgot about this!)

The Inquisitor's Apprentice (argh, but we never seem to get book three)

Dreadnought

Circus Galacticus

Zeroes

Shadowshaper

Ramayan 3392 AD

The Savage Fortress

Darwen Awkwright

Marco Impossible

The Wig in the Window (well, it's a murder mystery for kids....)

The True Meaning of Smekday

The Midnight War of Mateo Martinez

The Truth About Twinkie Pie (okay, this is  more serious, but not much)

Ninjas, Piranhas, and Galileo

The Magical Misadventures of Prunella Bogthistle

Handbook For Dragon Slayers

The Extraordinary Princess (not "The Ordinary Princess". Main character is obviously dyslexic, but the word is never stated in the text because that wouldn't make sense in the setting.)

Confetti Girl

Maximilian & the Mystery of the Guardian Angel

Heart of a Samurai

Vanished

This list, too, is incomplete.

Edited by Tanaqui
  • Like 1

I don't have much to add, but Save Me a Seat on Tanaqui's first list is my ds10's most favorite book ever. I have no idea why (and I have tried to find out because he generally hates reading).

He also really liked The Unusual Chickens book from Tanaqui's second list.

Edited by lovinmyboys
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

And one more update - The Kat Sinclair Files. Haven't read yet, but just realized I've got a several-months old ARC on my desk.

Edit: Oh, and The Way Home Looks Now. And Click Here to Start. I have got to read through some of these books!

There's also a whole bunch of sports books, but that's not really my thing, so....

Edited by Tanaqui