Menu

Why do I crave root beer and bacon?

zyxwvut

Because they are both so yummy?  :laugh:  Maybe your brain has built some kind of feel good association with these foods? I still have a weird craving for iced coffee after walking in the rain and getting a whiff of the exhaust from passing cars. That rain+exhaust combo rarely fails to trigger the craving.

Some psychology of craving info here:

http://psychologyofeating.com/3-types-of-cravings/

• Like 2

Because your tired.

Bacon is high in protein and salt.  Salt makes your retain water which increases blood pressure. Protein gives you energy.   Fat goes to fat/energy stores.

Root Beer is sugar and depending on the brand, caffeine.  Sugar is a quick fuel and caffeine is obvious.

Edited by Tap
  • Like 4

Now I am craving rootbeer and bacon too!

Salt actually helps your adrenals. Some people who feel they have had lots of stress or adrenal fatigue drink 1/4tsp of salt in their water in the mornings. You might legitimately need more salt depending on how the rest of your diet looks.

Sugar cravings are common with adrenal issues too. I find the best way to beat them is to eat vinegar. If you are hardcore you can try some ACV. Me, I just snack on some pickles instead. (And that covers the salt issue!)

And all cravings are more under control if you start the day with protein and keep a regular meal schedule.

• Like 3

Several of you say salt, but honestly, I just crave stuff.  I don't think my body actually needs any of it.

I crave things I love or things that I had as a child.  They are comforts for me, no bodily need, just emotional usually.

Or taste

Or I am bored

Or I am tired

Or I just like them

Or I am stressed

Or

Or

Or

Or

Fill in the blanks!

• Like 1

Well I love root beer. I don't drink it anymore because I avoid sugary beverages and diet root beer is just wrong.

I love bacon.

I could see them together just 'cause why not? Doesn't bacon go with anything. Can you make bacon wrapped root beer? How about root beer soaked bacon? Is this a challenge like on those cooking shows--the ingredients must be used together.

Because your tired.

Bacon is high in protein and salt.  Salt makes your retain water which increases blood pressure. Protein gives you energy.   Fat goes to fat/energy stores.

Root Beer is sugar and depending on the brand, caffeine.  Sugar is a quick fuel and caffeine is obvious.

I think this is it.  Basically, it's my body's way of telling me to eat and sleep more.  Those are actually my New Year's Resolutions.

I don't think it is just a random craving, or an emotional thing, especially because we didn't do much of either when I was a kid.  My body feels "off" when I start craving it, though, so I thought there might be a physiological reason.

And, yuck!  Don't put them together!  Just eat a pile of bacon, and later drink some root beer.  Not together.  Did I say, "Not together," yet?  Because that's gross. :/

I'm not pregnant, and I'm not eating them together, ftr. (Though when I'm going through a spell when I want root beer, I also tend to be eating a lot of bacon).

Just sometimes I really, really want those two foods.  Any guesses?

You like them, you like the salt and sugar, and you are accustom to having both of them.