Menu

Workbook-based History

shinyhappypeople

For 6th grader.

So far I've found Lifepacs, ACE, and CLE (textbook +workbook).  Notgrass is too expensive, so not even on the table.

Has anyone used any of the above?  Are there other programs I should take a look at?

It doesn't need to be exciting.  I just need something that I can hand to younger DD that she can do fairly independently.  She dislikes history and also dislikes reading books she didn't choose, so I'm not pursuing a living books approach -- the drama wouldn't be worth it.  Reading will stay in it's own separate box.

We'll be combing the workbooks with youtube videos, like these and others that I come across.

• Like 1

K12 Human Odyssey has workbooks available for all books. It would at least be engaging reading. I would choose more exciting videos like Crash Course or Great Courses. History is probably one of my daughter's favorite subjects, but I have to admit that if I had her watch those videos, she'd go on strike.

(We tried both the Critical Thinking Co.and the Story of Western Civ books mentioned above. DD begged me to stop them so they were an epic failure for us so we might not be the best to advise on this.)

• Like 1

You might also want to check the workbooks from Memoria Press for history. They have books to go with the Famous Men Series, as well as nice Geography resources. I used these after Story of the World for older elementary and middle school. Their books include map work too. We have used the FM of Rome, Middle Ages, and Modern Age, States workbook, and many of the Geography books. The teacher book is separate so you can copy the tests and quizzes.  I just buy a new student workbook for the next child who needs to use it.

https://www.memoriapress.com/curriculum/classical-studies/

I also like Evan Moor workbooks for supplementing.

http://www.evan-moor.com/c/193/social-studies

Another option for an older student (middle school) is to check out the yesterday's classics history books. I used some of these titles to combine with a  modern age history for 7th and 8th grades. I used the Streams of History series. We just wrote summaries and added in Geography. So, it is not workbook based, but it is cost effective.

http://www.yesterdaysclassics.com/catalog/displaycatalog.php?catalog=world

• Like 1

K12 Human Odyssey has workbooks available for all books. It would at least be engaging reading. I would choose more exciting videos like Crash Course or Great Courses. History is probably one of my daughter's favorite subjects, but I have to admit that if I had her watch those videos, she'd go on strike.

(We tried both the Critical Thinking Co.and the Story of Western Civ books mentioned above. DD begged me to stop them so they were an epic failure for us so we might not be the best to advise on this.)

The videos I linked to get the job done (as a supplement).  I'll probably find others that I like more, but we're not looking for a cure for cancer here.  Just a way to get some world history into her brain.  She's not going to like anything I choose (this has been a struggle for YEARS) so I'm past the point of caring about if she wants to pull "I'm going on strike" crap on me.  Just.do.your.work.

I used to care that schoolwork was "fun."  Now I just care that it gets completed.  

Edited by shinyhappypeople
  • Like 1

If American History is an option, Critical Thinking Co. has an American History 2-book series. We are planning to stay it tks spring, though, so no experience.

Yes, American history is a possibility.  I'm learning toward World History because of the state standards (we're using a homeschool charter for now), but they're not super, super picky about history.

• Like 2

The videos I linked to get the job done (as a supplement). I'll probably find others that I like more, but we're not looking for a cure for cancer here. Just a way to get some world history into her brain. She's not going to like anything I choose (this has been a struggle for YEARS) so I'm past the point of caring about if she wants to pull "I'm going on strike" crap on me. Just.do.your.work.

I used to care that schoolwork was "fun." Now I just care that it gets completed.

Hope you find what you need!

• Like 1

I know you said you weren't looking for books to go along with it, but that's what began making history interesting for my kids.

So, I wouldn't use long, dry history workbooks (wouldn't worry about it yet at that age).  I'd first pick a period that she might be interested in:  Pioneers in U.S. history?  Ancient Egyptians?  England during the time of Dickens?  You could even let her pick from six options, for example.  Then I'd get a short, concise workbook that deals with that period.  (You can check out sites like Rainbow Resource.)  With that, I'd assign various interesting biographies/historical fiction, films, or documentaries.  Throw in a little map work so she understands where it's all taking place.  If she likes art, you can add art projects. 

It was all the supplemental stuff --  mostly the interesting biographies/historical fiction novels and films, etc. -- that got history into the brains of my kids!  

• Like 2

I know you said you weren't looking for books to go along with it, but that's what began making history interesting for my kids.

So, I wouldn't use long, dry history workbooks (wouldn't worry about it yet at that age).  I'd first pick a period that she might be interested in:  Pioneers in U.S. history?  Ancient Egyptians?  England during the time of Dickens?  You could even let her pick from six options, for example.  Then I'd get a short, concise workbook that deals with that period.  (You can check out sites like Rainbow Resource.)  With that, I'd assign various interesting biographies/historical fiction, films, or documentaries.  Throw in a little map work so she understands where it's all taking place.  If she likes art, you can add art projects. 

It was all the supplemental stuff --  mostly the interesting biographies/historical fiction novels and films, etc. -- that got history into the brains of my kids!  

I hear you, and the creative idealist in me totally agrees!! For years history was American Girl books, AG club, AG movies because that's the only history she could stomach.  

But now things need to change.  For reasons beyond my control at this time, the core workbook/text/whatever has to be open and go and fairly independent... even if it's kind of boring.  It's not even an issue of preference, it's an issue of reality. 

• Like 4

Have you  looked at the Beautiful Feet guides? I have done this in the past also. My library had many of the books. Following the teacher book was not hard. It is not a workbook, but a guided study.

Greenleaf Press also has some very nice resources. They are similar to the Famous Men series that Memoria offers. If you need a workbook to help the student develop discipline, Memoria filled that gap in our family. We also used the Notgrass America the Beautiful spread over 2 years. One semester AB, then the other using Yesterday's Classics books with summaries. (I wanted to add in European history and to also stick to our basic trivium pattern....

http://www.exodusbooks.com/greenleaf-press-history/5377/

Here is the Cathy Duffy review and links to used copies to Greenleaf:

http://cathyduffyreviews.com/homeschool-reviews-core-curricula/history-and-geography/world-history-supplements/famous-men-and-greenleaf-guides

Edited by Pistachio mom
  • Like 1

If American History is an option, Critical Thinking Co. has an American History 2-book series. We are planning to stay it tks spring, though, so no experience.

CTC also has a world history detective workbook that's pretty good (and I don't usually love a lot of CTC stuff).  It covers ancients, medieval and early American civilizations.

Short lessons in World History

There is also a Short Lessons in U.S. History.  

• Like 2

I am so grateful for your suggestions.

Unfortunately, I have Goldilocks syndrome with finding a decent workbook program (or history program in general): too boring (hi,  Lifepacs), too cheesy (hi, Ace Paces), the reading is too dry or difficult for her (hi... to almost everything else), not enough depth... and I've completely veered off course from my original plan.  

Where we've ended up (I think): Drive Thru History Ancients and CM-style narrations.  This plan is not perfect, but I have to stop driving myself crazy.   It will get done.  She will probably not hate it. Bonus: older sister will tag along and get some extra history (she does History at Our  House).  Oh, Bonus #2: It's free (streaming on TBN).  

Check this off the list.  Mama's done.

• Like 2

Are there other programs I should take a look at?

It doesn't need to be exciting.  I just need something that I can hand to younger DD that she can do fairly independently.  She dislikes history and also dislikes reading books she didn't choose, so I'm not pursuing a living books approach -- the drama wouldn't be worth it.  

She's not going to like anything I choose (this has been a struggle for YEARS)

Unfortunately, I have Goldilocks syndrome with finding a decent workbook program (or history program in general): too boring (hi,  Lifepacs), too cheesy (hi, Ace Paces), the reading is too dry or difficult for her (hi... to almost everything else), not enough depth... and I've completely veered off course from my original plan.  

Where we've ended up (I think): Drive Thru History Ancients and CM-style narrations.  This plan is not perfect, but I have to stop driving myself crazy.   It will get done.  She will probably not hate it. Bonus: older sister will tag along and get some extra history (she does History at Our  House).  Oh, Bonus #2: It's free (streaming on TBN).  

Sorry this is late...and you're done. LOL But based on what you wrote above about her only liking what she chooses, have you ever looked at Creek Edge Press Task Cards? You basically give your student a weekly card that has assignments that will work with any book on the subject that they choose. So if you have just a few broad resources for the period and/or your DD can self-help in the library to choose her own books, it might work. I know you said she doesn't like history so looking up her own books for the subject might be a deal-breaker for this. Just thought I'd mention it. 

You can see samples of the cards in their gallery

• Like 1

I am so grateful for your suggestions.

Another late response, but what is she doing for writing? Could you supplement Drive Thru History with IEW's Ancient-History Based Writing Lessons? Might be worth checking out.

• Like 2

Another late response, but what is she doing for writing? Could you supplement Drive Thru History with IEW's Ancient-History Based Writing Lessons? Might be worth checking out.

She's doing "not-IEW-mom-because-there's-too-much-structure-and-if-I-have-to-follow-his-picky-rules-I-might-die."  aka she's a natural writer and doing her own thing.   :)

P.S.  Her nickname is Mikey (as in this kid).  I don't actually call her that out loud or anything, but internally some days...

Edited by shinyhappypeople
  • Like 4

Sorry this is late...and you're done. LOL But based on what you wrote above about her only liking what she chooses, have you ever looked at Creek Edge Press Task Cards? You basically give your student a weekly card that has assignments that will work with any book on the subject that they choose. So if you have just a few broad resources for the period and/or your DD can self-help in the library to choose her own books, it might work. I know you said she doesn't like history so looking up her own books for the subject might be a deal-breaker for this. Just thought I'd mention it. 

You can see samples of the cards in their gallery

You're a terrible influence.  Really, we should not hang out at all, because I end up buying things I would have never considered.   ;)

And Creek Edge Press is a vendor for the charter we're using right now.  That's probably a sign, right?

I'm still sticking with my Drive-Thru History videos, but there's no reason we couldn't add these in, or maybe just get the science cards. Those task cards are seriously cool.

• Like 3