Menu

Did anyone get anything surprising (for an xmas gift)?

SparklyUnicorn

My mom got us a nice wireless speaker set. It was quite a surprise.

I have deeply mixed feelings about it. Pro: We'll enjoy it. Con: Not as much as she thinks we should. Poor sound quality grates on her and she mocks us when we play music on a cheapie bluetooth speaker or through the TV - I've tried and tried to explain that I get it, but it doesn't bug me because we're just not audiophiles - the flip side is that she will settle for getting unbelievably blurry, inferior digital photos and thinks they're fine and that I'm nuts and no one would ever complain or want a retake... She runs a small side business now that she's retired and she wanted to put the most low quality image all blown up on her website and I was like, no, just no. She could not get it. She called me crazy over and over. I was like, it looks so unprofessional to have such a low quality image. She was like, no one will ever know. I was like, at least I know that my sound quality stuff is low. Sigh.

Pro: she loves us. Con: We all agreed to have a smaller Christmas and this was an expensive gift. We cleared her wish list, but it was all small things. We didn't reciprocate.

The biggest con is that they will only play music - you cannot hook them to the TV or to the iPad to do good sound for a streaming movie or something. And if I was going to have nice wireless speakers, I would have really liked them for that. But she doesn't feel that's important - again, we just have different senses of what's important and she ended up spending a LOT on her priorities for us. Which feels uncomfortable. I tried to be thrilled and grateful. I hope I succeeded on some level. It was quite a surprise gift.

• Like 2

My son made me cry (in a good way). I love the animated film The Iron Giant. I love the message that "you are who you choose to be." I just find the film unbelievably touching and meaningful.

I also love mixed media art pieces.

My son made me a plaque with an image of the robot. Parts of a couple of his limbs are carved into the wood and painted, while his head and torso are painted/drawn on and the remaining limb parts are metal and three-dimensional. 

I was just so touched that he put together those two things I love and, even though he often says he doesn't consider himself an artist, made a piece of art for me.

(For the record, my daughter also made me a wonderful and personal gift in the form of a little polymer clay manatee pendant. It's just that I'm kind of used to her being more tuned in to my likes/interests. I love the pendant and will wear it happily and often.)

• Like 13

Oh, and dd made me a lovely tea mug (actually, all of us got mugs and she has several bowls as well.)  She took her 2nd ceramics class at the high school and had quite a few pieces that she threw on the wheel.  They are lovely.  I need to find a way to display them because they are too pretty to hide in a cabinet.  Plus, our cabinets have this nasty habit of getting overstuffed and it would break my heart to have one of these ruined. 

• Like 3

I saw the picture of it, and it was very nice! Did he take a class to learn how to paint it, or did it just paint it on his own?

Thank you.

No, and he hates painting.  HIs pencil/charcoal drawings are much better, but he knew I really wanted something with color, so he painted it.

He has been drawing since he was about 1 year old.  When we would go anywhere and he was upset (too much stimulation or sensory overload) we would pull out a pencil and paper and it would calm him down.  

Edited by DawnM
  • Like 1

Not really a gift, but came as pleasant surprise. A friend asked me to help her son with private h.s admission. She insisted on paying market rate for private admission counselling. Even at a low end rate for applications,essays,test prep and interview practice, i covered my entire holiday budget, and son's winter extracurrics.

• Like 4

Not really a gift, but came as pleasant surprise. A friend asked me to help her son with private h.s admission. She insisted on paying market rate for private admission counselling. Even at a low end rate for applications,essays,test prep and interview practice, i covered my entire holiday budget, and son's winter extracurrics.