Menu

Book a Week 2016 - BW52 - 2016 it's a wrap!

Robin M

Dorothy Sayers fans might be interested to know that many of the major online booksellers are selling a number of her books today only for $1.99.

I read my three new Thea Harrison novellas (mentioned up thread) and enjoyed them all.

Two other books I received which I forgot to mention earlier are:

First to Burn (Immortal Vikings Book 1)  by Anna Richland.  This is a paranormal romance that I'm eager to read.  I really like the author's contemporary novella His Road Home and I'm curious to see what one of her paranormal books is like.

My Loving Vigil Keeping  by Carla Kelly.  This is by a favorite author of mine, so I'm also looking forward to reading it.  It's one of her US set historical inspirational romances so unlike most of the other books of hers that I've read.

My mother had given me some gift money, so I picked these out myself.

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 12

• Replies 310
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here are a few more stats.

Out of 81 books -

• 35 - Books by female authors (sometimes I read more than one book by the same author, but I'm counting number of books not number of female authors).
  • 61 - Fiction 
  • 20 - Non-fiction
  • 56 - Kindle or other ebook format
  • 8 - Print editions
  • 17 - Audio books
  • 21 - Books I read because someone here on BaW recommended it
  • 8  - Translated (Italian, Spanish, Swedish, Icelandic, Ancient Greek) I thought I read more translated books. This stat surprised me.

As I was looking through my Goodreads shelf for this post, I found yet another book I read but didn't list. I'm sure there are probably more. 

• Like 12

Here is my final list, for those who like lists (of which I am one).

January
â–  The Heir Apparent (David Ives; 2011. Drama.)
â–  Neighbors (Jan T. Gross; 2001. Non-fiction.)
â–  Our Class (Tadeusz SÅ‚obodzianek (adaptation by Ryan Craig); 2009. Drama.)
â–  Scored (Lauren McLaughlin; 2011. Fiction.)
â–  Ready Player One (Ernest Kline; 2011. Fiction.)
â–  Arcadia (Tom Stoppard; 1993. Drama.)
â–  Purge (Sofi Oksanen; 2008. Fiction.)
â–  Revival, Volume 6: Thy Loyal Sons & Daughters (Tim Seeley; 2016. Graphic fiction.)

February
â–  The Shawl (Cynthia Ozick; 1990. Fiction.)
â–  The Book of Jonas (Stephen Dau; 2012. Fiction.)
â–  The Bunker, Volume 3 (Joshua Hale Fialkov; 2015. Graphic fiction.)
â–  The Squirrel Mother (Megan Kelso; 2006. Graphic fiction.)
â–  The Silence of Our Friends (Mark Long; 2012. Graphic fiction.)
â–  Lazarus, Volume 4: Poison (Greg Rucka; 2016. Graphic fiction.)
â–  Deep Work: Rules for Focused Success in a Distracted World (Cal Newport; 2016. Non-fiction.)
â–  When Breath Becomes Air (Paul Kalanithi; 2016. Non-fiction.)
â–  The Invaders (Karolina Waclawiak; 2015. Fiction.)
■ A Mother’s Reckoning: Living in the Aftermath of Tragedy (Sue Klebold; 2016. Non-fiction.)

March
â–  In a Dark, Dark Wood (Ruth Ware; 2015. Fiction.)
â–  What She Left Behind (Ellen Marie Wiseman; 2013. Fiction.)
â–  Missoula: Rape and the Justice System in a College Town (Jon Krakauer; 2015. Non-fiction.)
■ Mr. Penumbra’s 24-Hour Bookstore (Robin Sloan; 2013. Fiction.)
â–  Othello (William Shakespeare; 1603. Drama.)
â–  The Cold Song (Linn Ullmann; 2014. Fiction.)
â–  The Storied Life of A. J. Fikry (Gabrielle Zevin; 2014. Fiction.)
â–  Pax (Sara Pennypacker; 2016. Fiction.)
â–  The Call of the Wild (Jack London; 1903. Fiction.)
â–  The Life of Galileo (Bertolt Brecht; 1940. (Trans. John Willett; 1994.) Drama.)

April
â–  The First Time She Drowned (Kerry Kletter; 2016. Fiction.)
â–  Shelter (Jung Yun; 2016. Fiction.)
■ The Nest (Cynthia D’Aprix Sweeney; 2016. Fiction.)
â–  Cardenio (William Shakespeare and John Fletcher; 1613. (Adapted by Charles Mee and Stephen Greenblatt; 1994.) Drama.)
■ Long Day’s Journey into Night (Eugene O’Neill; 1956. Drama.)
â–  Richard III (William Shakespeare; 1592. Drama.)

May
â–  Imaginary Girls (Nova Ren Suma; 2011. Fiction.)
â–  The Vanishing Neighbor: The Transformation of American Community (Marc J. Dunkelman; 2014. Non-fiction.)
â–  The Odd Woman and the City: A Memoir (Vivian Gornick; 2015. Non-fiction.)
â–  The Walking Dead, Volume 25: No Turning Back (Robert Kirkman; 2016. Graphic fiction.)
â–  Paper Girls, Volume 1 (Brian K. Vaughan; 2016. Graphic fiction.)
■ They’re Not Like Us, Volume 2: Us Against You (Eric Stephenson; 2016. Graphic fiction.)
â–  Sleeping Giants (Sylvain Neuvel; 2016. Fiction.)
â–  Symmetry, Volume 1 (Matt Hawkins; 2016. Graphic fiction.)
â–  Letter 44, Volume 3: Dark Matter (Charles Soule; 2016. Graphic fiction.)
â–  Who Do You Love (Jennifer Weiner; 2015. Fiction.)
â–  Making Toast: A Family Story (Roger Rosenblatt; 2010. Non-fiction.)

June
â–  The Sparrow (Mary Doria Russell; 1996. Fiction.)
â–  Heart of Darkness (Joseph Conrad; 1899. Fiction.)
â–  The Fireman (Joe Hill; 2016. Fiction.)
â–  A Good School (Richard Yates; 1978. Fiction.)
â–  The Girls (Emma Cline; 2016. Fiction.)
â–  Helter Skelter: The True Story of the Manson Murders (Vincent Bugliosi; 1974. Non-fiction.)
â–  Outcast, Vol. 3: This Little Light (Robert Kirkman; 2016. Graphic fiction.)
â–  Postal, Vol. 3 (Bryan Hill; 2016. Graphic fiction.)
â–  Saga, Vol. 6 (Brian K. Vaughan; 2016. Graphic fiction.)
â–  Monstress Vol. 1: Awakening (Marjorie Liu; 2016. Graphic fiction.)
â–  Edward III (William Shakespeare; 1596. Drama.)
â–  Henry VI, Part I (William Shakespeare; 1591. Drama.)
â–  Why We Get Fat and What to Do about It (Gary Taubes; 2011. Non-fiction.)
â–  Think Thin, Be Thin (Doris Wild Helmering; 2004. Non-fiction.)
â–  Descender, Vol. 2: Machine Moon (Jeff Lemire; 2016. Graphic fiction.)
â–  The Mandibles: A Family, 2029-2047 (Lionel Shriver; 2016. Fiction.)
â–  The Only Ones (Carola Dibbell; 2015. Fiction.)
â–  I Let You Go (Clare Mackintosh; 2016. Fiction.)
â–  The Blondes (Emily Schultz; 2015. Fiction.)

July
â–  Where They Found Her (Kimberly McCreight; 2015. Fiction.)
■ The Hidden Child (Camilla Läckberg; 2014. Fiction.)
â–  Wonder (RJ Palacio; 2012. Fiction.)
â–  The Easter Parade (Richard Yates; 1976. Fiction.)
â–  Fell, Volume 1, Feral City (Warren Ellis; 2007. Graphic fiction.)
â–  Injection, Volume 1 (Warren Ellis; 2015. Graphic fiction.)
â–  Trees, Volume 1 (Warren Ellis; 2015. Graphic fiction.)
â–  The Curse of the Good Girl (Rachel Simmons; 2009. Non-fiction.)
â–  The Elementals (Michael McDowell; 1981. Fiction.)
â–  Huck, Volume 1 (Mark Millar; 2016. Graphic fiction.)
â–  Kill Shakespeare, Volume 3: The Tide of Blood (Conor McCreery Millar; 2013. Graphic fiction.)
â–  Skim (Mariko Tomaki; 2008. Graphic fiction.)
â–  Dubliners (James Joyce; 1914. Fiction.)
â–  Lab Girl (Hope Jahren; 2016. Non-fiction.)
■ I’m Thinking of Ending Things (Iain Reid; 2016. Fiction.)
â–  Truly Madly Guilty (Liane Moriarty; 2016. Fiction.)
â–  The Merchant of Venice (William Shakespeare; 1599. Drama.)

August
â–  You Will Know Me (Megan Abbott; 2016. Fiction.)
■ You’re Never Weird on the Internet (Almost) (Felicia Day; 2015. Non-fiction.)
â–  My Name Is Lucy Barton (Elizabeth Strout; 2016. Fiction.)
â–  A Study in Scarlet (Sir Arthur Conan Doyle; 1887. Fiction.)
â–  Injection, Volume 2 (Warren Ellis; 2016. Graphic fiction.)
â–  Eileen (Ottessa Moshfegh; 2015. Fiction.)

September
â–  The Code of the Woosters (P.J. Wodehouse; 1938. Fiction.)
â–  Slaughterhouse-Five (Kurt Vonnegut; 1970. Fiction.)
â–  The Walking Dead, Volume 26: Call to Arms (Robert Kirkman; 2016. Graphic fiction.)
â–  Revival, Volume 7: Forward (Tim Seeley; 2016. Graphic fiction.)
â–  Jack of Spades (Joyce Carol Oates; 2015. Fiction.)
â–  Smarter Faster Better (Charles Duhigg; 2016. Non-fiction.)
â–  A Fair Maiden (Joyce Carol Oates; 2010. Fiction.)
â–  Julius Caesar (William Shakespeare; 1599. Drama.)

October
â–  Zen in the Art of Archery (Eugen Herrigel; 1953. Non-fiction.)
â–  Henry VI, Part II (William Shakespeare; 1591. Drama.)
â–  Henry VI, Part III (William Shakespeare; 1591. Drama.)
â–  Henry V (William Shakespeare; 1599. Drama.)
â–  Stiff Upper Lip, Jeeves (P.J. Wodehouse; 1963. Fiction.)
â–  The Turn of the Screw (Henry James; 1898. Fiction.)
â–  The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time (Mark Haddon; 2003. Fiction.)

November
â–  Bloodshot, Volume 1: Colorado (Jeff Lemire; 2015. Graphic fiction.)
â–  Dark Matter (Blake Crouch; 2016. Fiction.)
â–  The Light Fantastic (Sarah Combs; 2016. Fiction.)
â–  The Strain (Guillermo del Torro and Chuck Hogan; 2009. Fiction.)
â–  Trees, Volume 2 (Warren Ellis; 2016. Graphic fiction.)
â–  The Couple Next Door (Shari Lapena; 2016. Fiction.)
â–  I Hunt Killers (Barry Lyga; 2012. Fiction.)
â–  A.D.: After Death, Book 1 (Scott Snyder; 2016. Graphic fiction.)
â–  The Last Policeman (Ben Winters; 2013. Fiction.)

December
â–  Plutona (Jeff Lemire; 2016. Graphic fiction.)
â–  The Forever War (Joe Haldeman; 1974. Fiction.)
â–  After the Apocalypse (Maureen McHugh; 2011. Fiction.)
â–  Postal, Volume 4 (Bryan Hill; 2016. Graphic fiction.)
â–  Into the Fire (Pete Liney; 2015. Fiction.)
â–  Symmetry, Volume 2 (Matt Hawkins; 2016. Graphic fiction.)
â–  The Vegetarian (Han Kang; 2015. Fiction.)
â–  Paper Girls, Volume 2 (Brian K. Vaughan; 2016. Graphic fiction.)
■ One of Us: The Story of a Massacre in Norway — and Its Aftermath (Åsne Seierstad; 2015. Non-fiction.)
â–  Angel Catbird, Volume 1 (Margaret Atwood; 2016. Graphic fiction.)
â–  Descender, Vol. 3: Singularities (Jeff Lemire; 2016. Graphic fiction.)
â–  Life Reimagined: The Science, Art, and Opportunity of Midlife (Barbara Bradley Hagerty; 2016. Non-fiction.)

Edited by M--
  • Like 17

I added my post to the wrong thread, bumping an old book of the week thread. Oops!

I found several books I hadn't added to Goodreads so I updated my profile there, but I'll do a final analysis later in the week.

My books read last week:

The Fireman by Joe Hill. Fiction-Horror. An homage to his father’s book The Stand, the world is on fire as a dreaded disease threatens to destroy humanity. The story is peppered with references to King’s work, including a fiery hand of God and a character named Harold Cross. If you enjoyed The Stand, you would probably enjoy this book, though King’s writing is more character driven whereas Hill is more cinematic.

The Next Species by Michael Tennesen. Nonfiction- Science. Not what I expected, this book is an overview of various science books dealing with the effect humans have on the planet. The blurb made it sound like it was a speculative exercise, predicting what humanity’s future might look like.

Snow by Orhan Pamuk. Literary Fiction. Translated from Turkish, it follows a few days in the life of an ex-pat returning to Turkey to investigate the suicides of headscarf wearing women. Pamuk won the Nobel Prize in Literature 2006.

How Great Science Fiction Works by The Great Courses. Science Fiction. A series of lectures structured around various literary themes; it moves chronologically with some exceptions. I found it informative and enlightening. Highly recommended.

The Man in the High Castle by Philip K. Dick. Science Fiction. What would the US look like if Germany and Japan had won the war? An alternate history written decades before more literary authors explored the space.

I have several books in process, including The Beak of the FinchThe Weird: A Compendium of Strange and Dark Stories, and 1Q84 plus the books I received from Christmas (The Big Book of Science FictionThe Essential Harlan EllisonThe Book of Chameleons). I'm also listening to Understanding Cultural and Human Geography from the Great Courses.

My goal for next year is to work through the physical To-Be-Read pile beside my bed. I keep adding to the stack instead of reading through what I already have.

• Like 15

Any that made you want to toss it across the room in disgust?

Free Will by Sam Harris

His book confused me quite a bit. It was the first time I'd heard the concept. I read Sleights of Mind and parts of that book helped me understand Harris's book better. 

Ditto. I, too, am hoping to finish a few more by month's end, including One of Us: The Story of Anders Breivik and the Massacre in Norway (Åsne Seierstad), which was part of my jólabókaflóð bounty last year. Un.put.down.able.

That's on my TR list. Good to know it's that good. 

• Like 12

I think this group might have the few people in my circle who can understand the difficulties in working through the physical TBR pile.

My husband is clearing out a bookcase in our bedroom and moving the books to his office. I caught myself thinking today that it might be a good place for me to put my TBR books. Obviously since I have graduated from TBR pile to TBR bookcase I completely understand! [emoji15]

I started to answer Robin's questions this morning but the little ones apparently hadn't been briefed that I am on vacation. I may squeeze in a couple more books over the next few days anyway, I guess.

- Angela

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 13

Song of Solomon by Toni Morrison was my 2016 (if not all time) favorite, but more on that below.

Lab Girl is a gorgeous memoir from a working scientist. Definitely an interesting approachable read, even if you don't normally read science books.

The Sunne in Splendour. Several boardies had praised it so I had to try it. So good, so sad. Just lovely.

It's been a while since I read a Toni Morrison book and I was considering The Song of Solomon for child's birth year. It was published the year my stepson was born.

Lab Girl is another on my TBR list, and after reading this thread I think I might choose the audio book version of this one.

The Sunne in Splendour is my favorite book of the year, and I would not have discovered it if not for BaW.

• Like 11

The photo also includes books from my husband and a two player game that The Boy gave me:  Patchwork.  Simple rules, interesting problem solving.  And a jar of peach/bourbon jam appropriately named Floozie.  Think my niece was telling me something?

I really enjoy Patchwork. DH gave me another game by the designer (Uwe Rosenberg) called Cottage Garden which has some similarities to Patchwork. 

pic3236872_md.jpg

I read a book in the middle of the night, one I found on NPR's list of the best books of 2016: The Singing Bones by Shaun Tan.

9780545946124.jpg

Have you read any of Shaun Tan's other work? I have Tales From Outer Suburbia and it's quirky. 

• Like 14

I really enjoy Patchwork. DH gave me another game by the designer (Uwe Rosenberg) called Cottage Garden which has some similarities to Patchwork. 

Since the topic of games has come up, let me mention that my husband and I enjoyed playing a game that I received as a gift. Like Patchwork, it's a two player game ~

Morels

It also appears to be available, with slightly different artwork and using scientific names, under the name 

Fungi.

I recommend it.

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 15

I have finished a couple of fluffy ones that were lovely.

The first was a Penny Branningan cozy which had an unusual crossover character https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/11218336-a-killer-s-christmas-in-wales. Dorothy Martin from Jeanne Dams' series bumps into Penny on a train and offers a bit of advice one sleuth to another. It was done as a tribute to their editor who had recently died. The editor was 92 and worked until her death.

Eta Lots of fascinating tributes to Ruth Cavin, the editor. Here's one that lists some of her authors. http://www.sarahweinman.com/confessions/2011/01/ruth-cavin-rip.html

The other was a Betty Neels romance. Her books are sweet charming love stories, normally with a medical setting. Recently a collection of the Best of Betty Neels appeared on my Overdrive library. I couldn't resist reading one this year, my mom loved Betty Neels. https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1815871.A_Kind_Of_Magic. Thiis was a very gentle love story set in Scotland.

My copy of City of Mirrors finally arrived so I will go from gentle books to odd vampire zombies...... :lol:

Edited by mumto2
  • Like 13

Since the topic of games has come up, let me mention that my husband and I enjoyed playing a game that I received as a gift. Like Patchwork, it's a two player game ~

Morels

It also appears to be available, with slightly different artwork and using scientific names, under the name 

Fungi.

I recommend it.

Regards,

Kareni

Karen, You may appreciate this book I picked up at a thrift shop. I bought it because all the illustrations were done by Beatrix Potter.

md13110791885.jpg

• Like 14

The end of the year is always so troublesome; I want to post my wrap-up, and read and respond to posts, and there is no time until the New Year; and then there will be so many posts for a while! Please forgive me Robin if I don't post my wrap-up until somewhere around mid-January, sorely unseasonable. 

Stealing a few moments here though to tell Jane that I started reading Hakluyt's Voyages, and will be on it for a while because it's 3100 pages in all; but in the course of reading interesting passages to dh we discovered that Dorothy Dunnett apparently mined Hakluyt for her books. So there may be some interest for you, though frankly I would recommend the Penguin (abridged with notes) rather than the Everyman (complete, with no helpful notes, so I have frequent recourse to Wikipedia). Briefly: Hakluyt in the 1590s decided, enough with the Spanish and Portuguese getting all the juicy discoveries: time to gather all the evidence that the English have been the real seafarers, so as to encourage further exploration, especially up north into Russia, which will really pay off (though he notes in passing that there might be some promising discoveries to be had inland of the Virginia colonies). Thus he gathered every single scrap of textual evidence of English navigation, ever, and sets it all out. Right now I'm reading the account of the Sir Richard Willoughby expedition, which Dunnett used for her book The Ringed Castle. Without comment, Hakluyt sets side-by-side Richard Chancelour's detailed account of the Muscovite court, and Willoughby's (later discovered) log of his incompetent attempts to get north around Norway, ending with him and his ship's company all freezing to death in Lapland.

• Like 18

On the subject of discounted books -

Kindle versions of Goodreads winners and finalists are on sale today. 

https://www.goodreads.com/blog/show/763-today-only-select-2016-goodreads-choice-awards-winners-and-finalists-up

ETA: I just finished scrolling that list and I see that Lab Girl is among the finalists. That's why it's only $3.99.

Edited by Lady Florida.
  • Like 14

https://www.goodreads.com/blog/show/763-today-only-select-2016-goodreads-choice-awards-winners-and-finalists-up

ETA: I just finished scrolling that list and I see that Lab Girl is among the finalists. That's why it's only $3.99.

Thanks for this. Lab Girl just went onto the kindle :D

• Like 12

Karen, You may appreciate this book I picked up at a thrift shop. I bought it because all the illustrations were done by Beatrix Potter.

What a nifty find, Shawne!  I had no idea that Beatrix Potter did such illustrations, so thanks for sharing.

And yet another currently free book for Kindle readers ~  

813 (Arséne Lupin)  by Maurice Leblanc

"Framed for murder, Lupin must clear his name or face the gallows

Millionaire diamond collector Rudolf Kesselbach is in a Paris hotel room, contemplating the stroke of genius that is about to make him one of the wealthiest men in Europe, when a shadow steals into the room—a shadow with fine clothes, an easy smile, and a revolver pointed at Kesselbach’s chest. The intruder’s name, he says, is Arsène Lupin.

A few hours later, Kesselbach is found dead on the floor, Lupin’s calling card pinned to his chest. With the police hot on his trail, the master jewel thief must use every ounce of his genius to escape their traps and find the man responsible for the murder. But as Lupin soon discovers, his freedom is not all that is at stake. The fate of Europe hangs in the balance as well."

About the Author
Maurice Leblanc (1864–1941) was best known for his tales featuring the gentleman thief Arsène Lupin. Born in Rouen, France, Leblanc was inspired by the success of Arthur Conan Doyle’s Sherlock Holmes stories and invented Lupin as a French adversary for the great detective. Lupin appeared in dozens of novels and short stories and was the basis for several films. Of his great antihero, Leblanc once said, “Lupin follows me everywhere. He is not my shadow. I am his shadow.â€

Regards,
Kareni
  • Like 9

Great... My TBR list just got longer...

• Like 10

Where did your reading take you this year?  

Honestly, my reading seemed to follow deep tracks with most things being Fantasy, Fairy Tales, Science Fiction, Biology, and Knitting. This is the year I broke into Audio books, but since I also added podcasts they only seemed to encourage me to try things and then dump them halfway through. 

How many books did you read and did you meet or beat your own personal goal?  Or did you get caught up in reading and forget to keep track like me? 

No personal goals, although I was mildly disappointed to read fewer books than last year. (76ish to last years 93)

What countries and time periods did you visit?
Standards like England, Canada, the US, but also Native American peoples, Palestine, Norway, Hungary, Poland, China, Mexico, Japan, Indonesia, Korea, India, Iran, Germany, Cuba, Sweden, Papua New Guinea, Latvia, Greece, Jamaica, Ukraine, Panama, Italy, Antarctica, Egypt.

I tried to hit at least a few BCE books (archaeology, Linear B linguistics), but other than Wolf Hall, fairy tales, and Alexander Humboldt most things were post 19th century. 

What were your most favorite stories?   Any stories that stayed with you a long time,  left you wanting more or needed to digest for a while before starting another?   Which books became comfort reads.
These Is My Words, which was like a fast-paced Laura Ingalls Wilder in the southwest. I loved the voice of the narrator and enjoyed following her from a feisty teenager to an adult woman with children. Not a children's novel (teens would be fine). Not sexy, but real world stuff in areas where anything can happen. Honest about religion and how various people deal with things. Based on the author's great-grandmother. I've read at least 2 sequels, and while I enjoyed the continuity the first was the best. 

What is the one book or the one author you thought you'd never read and found yourself pleasantly surprised that you liked it?
I am not a romance person. I don't like Romeo and Juliet. Despite this, I did enjoy Eleanor & Park, the star-crossed lovers of Nebraska. Their relationship seemed realistic to me and Rowell understands poverty and the different things which isolate people. 

Did you read any books that touched you and made you laugh, cry, sing or dance.
Women's issues (financial independence, rape, professional struggle, female circumcision, poverty, bullying, a hierarchy based on beauty, spirituality, talent, coming of age) really had a profound effect on me this year. Several different novels touched off good and bad feelings (the sweetness of House of Many Ways to the hard-hitting Who Fears Death). 

Please share a favorite cover or quote.
51nLtq9-EDL._SY326_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg
41%2BP1GuEhbL.jpg51AQy9%2BuVPL._SX328_BO1,204,203,200_.jp 

41 female authors
34 male authors
2 books written by a male/female team

46 fiction
30 non-fiction

Leaning toward fantasy, science fiction, natural history, knitting, and hard-boiled '50s detective fiction. 
  • Like 12

Morels

Fungi.

I recommend it.

Regards,

Kareni

I love Morels! What a great game. 

We use 2 cloth napkins to help move the line of mushrooms faster. 

• Like 9

I love Morels! What a great game. 

We use 2 cloth napkins to help move the line of mushrooms faster. 

When we next play, we're going to use the circular arrangement that was shown in a Rules Appendix that came in our box.  We'll use a button to indicate the two cards that are at one's feet, and then move the button around the circular arrangement of two by four cards rather than moving all the cards forward if they're in a line.

Please explain the two napkins that you mentioned. I'm not sure I understand.

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 9

Spare moment post - The List, 2016

1. Samuel Pepys' Diary (abridged)

2. Giovanni Guareschi, Don Camillo's Dilemma

3. Alphonse Daudet, Letters From My Windmill

4. J. R. Ackerley, We Think the World of You

5. Cabeza de Vaca, Narrative of the Narvaez Expedition

6. John Wyndham, The Chrysalids

7. Frank Norris, McTeague

8. Scott, Ivanhoe

9. Giovanni Guareschi, The Little World of Don Camillo

10. Gregor Dorfmeister, The Bridge (Die Brucke)

11. Maupassant, Selected Short Stories

12. P. G. Wodehouse, Jeeves and the Tie That Binds

13. Goethe, The Sorrows of Young Werther

14. William Gass, In The Heart of the Heart of the Country

15. Trollope, Can You Forgive Her?

16. Ray Bradbury, Fahrenheit 451

17. Beaumarchais, The Barber of Seville

18. Beaumarchais, The Marriage of Figaro

19. Trollope, Phineas Finn

20. Secular Lyrics of the XIVth and XVth Centuries (ed. R. Robbins)

21. Euripides, Bacchae

22. Guareschi, Don Camillo and His Flock

23. Anatole France, Penguin Island

24. Vita Sackville-West, Challenge

25. Trollope, The Eustace Diamonds

26. Marquis James, The Raven: A Biography of Sam Houston

27. Shakespeare, Hamlet

28. Jack Kerouac, On the Road

29. Herman Melville, Moby Dick

30. Alexander Smith, Dreamthorp

31. Robert Graves, Goodbye to All That

32. J. M. Barrie, Sentimental Tommy

33. Thomas Carlyle, Heroes and Hero-Worship

34. Somerset Maugham, The Summing Up

35. J. H. Newman, Verses on Various Occasions

36. Raymond Chandler, The Big Sleep

37. The Penguin Book of Scottish Verse (ed. T. Scott)

38. Margaret Oliphant, The Beleaguered City, & Other Tales of the Seen and Unseen

39. Allan Ramsay, Selected Poems

40. Rilke, Letters to a Young Poet

41. Catherine Caswell, The Life of Robert Burns

42. J. Frank Dobie, Apache Gold and Yaqui Silver

43. Shakespeare, King Henry VIII

44. Trollope, Phineas Redux

45. Waugh, A Bitter Trial

46. Plato, Apology

47. John Dos Passos, Three Soldiers

48. Virgil, The Aeneid (trans. C. Day Lewis)

49. Raymond Carver, Will You Please Be Quiet, Please?

50. Lorenzo Scupoli, The Spiritual Combat

51. Elizabeth Gaskell, North and South

52. Hunter Thompson, Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas

53. Elaine Dundy, The Dud Avocado

54. Trollope, The Prime Minister

55. Jose Saramago, Blindness

56. Stevenson, Treasure Island

57. Mike Cox, Texas Ranger Trails

58. Stevenson, Kidnapped

59. Shakespeare, King Richard III

60. Wouk, The Caine Mutiny

61. Bierce, The Spook House [& other stories]

62. Von Zeller, Praying While You Work

63. Ronald Pearsall, The Worm in the Bud: The World of Victorian Sexuality

64. Bram Stoker, Dracula

65. Steinbeck, Cannery Row

66. Akutagawa, Rashomon & 17 Other Stories

67.The Apostolic Fathers, vol. 1 (trans. Kirsopp)

68. Poetry of Matthew Arnold

69. Dostoevsky, Devils

70. John Irving, A Prayer for Owen Meany

71. Rawlings, The Yearling

72. Madeleine Cosman, Fabulous Feasts: Medieval Cookery & Ceremony

73. Dumas fils, Camille

74. Jerome K. Jerome, Three Men in a Boat

75. Endo, A Life of Jesus

76. Trollope, The American Senator

Books started this year, still in progress: Quasten's Patrology; various New Testament apocrypha; Newman's Parochial and Plain Sermons, Hakluyt's Voyages.

Many, many thanks to Robin for keeping the book thread up and fresh. And thanks to all of you. This group of women has made a qualitative difference in my life. There have been some moments this year that were particularly personally difficult but which I wasn't comfortable talking about publicly; it was so good to escape to book reading and discussion sometimes.

Continuing thanks to Kareni for tipping me off about the wonderfulness of Don Camillo.

Continuing thanks to Jane for book recommendations and gifts. I pass on dh's thanks; you definitely share his tastes in reading, even more than mine!

Special gratitude to Stacia for a sweet Halloweeny remembrance, at just the right moment. 

• Like 19

The end of the year is always so troublesome; I want to post my wrap-up, and read and respond to posts, and there is no time until the New Year; and then there will be so many posts for a while! Please forgive me Robin if I don't post my wrap-up until somewhere around mid-January, sorely unseasonable. 

Stealing a few moments here though to tell Jane that I started reading Hakluyt's Voyages, and will be on it for a while because it's 3100 pages in all; but in the course of reading interesting passages to dh we discovered that Dorothy Dunnett apparently mined Hakluyt for her books. So there may be some interest for you, though frankly I would recommend the Penguin (abridged with notes) rather than the Everyman (complete, with no helpful notes, so I have frequent recourse to Wikipedia). Briefly: Hakluyt in the 1590s decided, enough with the Spanish and Portuguese getting all the juicy discoveries: time to gather all the evidence that the English have been the real seafarers, so as to encourage further exploration, especially up north into Russia, which will really pay off (though he notes in passing that there might be some promising discoveries to be had inland of the Virginia colonies). Thus he gathered every single scrap of textual evidence of English navigation, ever, and sets it all out. Right now I'm reading the account of the Sir Richard Willoughby expedition, which Dunnett used for her book The Ringed Castle. Without comment, Hakluyt sets side-by-side Richard Chancelour's detailed account of the Muscovite court, and Willoughby's (later discovered) log of his incompetent attempts to get north around Norway, ending with him and his ship's company all freezing to death in Lapland.

What an interesting discovery, VC! 

And I so understand waiting until mid-January for your wrap-up post.  We should probably make a note to BaW newbies that early January threads can be overwhelming with lots of good intentions.  Things do settle down after a week or two though.

What a nifty find, Shawne!  I had no idea that Beatrix Potter did such illustrations, so thanks for sharing.

And yet another currently free book for Kindle readers ~  

813 (Arséne Lupin)  by Maurice Leblanc

"Framed for murder, Lupin must clear his name or face the gallows

Millionaire diamond collector Rudolf Kesselbach is in a Paris hotel room, contemplating the stroke of genius that is about to make him one of the wealthiest men in Europe, when a shadow steals into the room—a shadow with fine clothes, an easy smile, and a revolver pointed at Kesselbach’s chest. The intruder’s name, he says, is Arsène Lupin.

A few hours later, Kesselbach is found dead on the floor, Lupin’s calling card pinned to his chest. With the police hot on his trail, the master jewel thief must use every ounce of his genius to escape their traps and find the man responsible for the murder. But as Lupin soon discovers, his freedom is not all that is at stake. The fate of Europe hangs in the balance as well."

About the Author
Maurice Leblanc (1864–1941) was best known for his tales featuring the gentleman thief Arsène Lupin. Born in Rouen, France, Leblanc was inspired by the success of Arthur Conan Doyle’s Sherlock Holmes stories and invented Lupin as a French adversary for the great detective. Lupin appeared in dozens of novels and short stories and was the basis for several films. Of his great antihero, Leblanc once said, “Lupin follows me everywhere. He is not my shadow. I am his shadow.â€

Regards,
Kareni

Thanks for the tip.  My husband, Lupin fan, downloaded this.

Also, I was inspired by Shawne to stop at a charity thrift shop before having lunch out with The Boys.  Four dollars later, I left with a bag of sewing supplies and the Quick and Easy Tofu Cookbook by Yukiko Moriyama, a cookbook in English that was printed in Japan. Definitely odd as it attempts to add tofu to mainstream early '80's American food.  Canned soup with tofu?  Not sure if this one will remain in the house but we could not resist it for a dollar.

Edited by Jane in NC
  • Like 12

Where did your reading take you this year?

Over the last few years, I’ve realized that, for me, reading is more like a discussion than a journey. From Will Schwalbe’s essay “The Need to Read†(WSJ, November 26): 

[books] are the expression of an individual or a group of individuals, not of a hive mind or collective consciousness. They speak to us, thoughtfully, one at a time. They demand our attention. And they demand that we briefly put aside our own beliefs and prejudices and listen to someone else’s. You can rant against a book, scribble in the margin or even chuck it out the window. Still, you won’t change the words on the page.

I was wondering if anyone else had seen the essay, which is an excerpt from the recently published book, Books for Living.

Here's another paragraph that stayed with me:

Of course, The Odyssey is one of the greatest works of all time. But in telling the story of a very flawed hero, it opens up a different lens on greatness. Even Odysseus himself would have had to admit  that he didn't do a terrific job getting home. Others managed to come right home after the war chronicled in The Iliad. It took Odysseus a decade. But he does eventually make it. Coming home was essential, and what's important is that he managed to do it. Odysseus was superlative at many things, but getting home wasn't one of them. He was mediocre at that.

Edited by Woodland Mist Academy
  • Like 11

Final List by month -

January

1. Things Fall Apart, Chinua Achebe

2. The Fishermen, Chigozie Obioma

3. Bethlehem Road, Anne Perry

February

4. A Suitable Boy, Vikram Seth

5. The September Society, Charles Finch

6. The Moor’s Account, Laila Lalami

7. A Passage to India, E.M. Forster

March

8. The Fleet Street Murders, Charles Finch

9. Gnarr! How I Became the Mayor of a Large City in Iceland and Changed the World, Jon Gnarr

10. The Expatriates, Janice  YK Lee

11. Bleak House, Dickens

12. Love in the Time of Cholera, Gabriel Garcia Marquez

13. Highgate Rise, Anne Perry

14. Ajax Penumbra 1969, Robin Sloan

15. Island of the Lost: Shipwrecked at the Edge of the World, Joan Druett

April

16. Breakfast at Tiffany’s, Truman Capote

17. Writing the Cozy Mystery, Nancy J. Cohen

18. The Puppy Proposal, Katie Meyer (WTM’s ktgrok)

19. Natural Causes: Death, Lies, and Politics in America’s Vitamin and Herbal Supplement Industry, Dan Hurley

20. Behind the Beautiful Forevers, Katherine Boo

21. Charles and Emma: The Darwins’ Leap of Faith Deborah Heiligman

22. The Iliad, Homer

23. Dead Simple, Peter James

May

24. The Missionary Position: Mother Teresa in Theory and Practice, Christopher Hitchens

25. Candide, Voltaire

26. A Stranger in Mayfair, Charles Finch

27. Of Mice and Men, John Steinbeck

28. The Alexandria Affair, Ashley Gardner

29. Angela’s Ashes, Frank McCourt

30. A Moveable Feast, Ernest Hemingway

June

31. The Ghost Bride, Yangsze Choo

32. The Pale Horse, Agatha Christie

July

33. Jar City, Arnaldur Indridason

34. Donnie Brasco, Joseph D. Pistone

35. Battling the Gods: Atheism in the Ancient World, Tim Whitmarsh

36. Persepolis: The Story of a Childhood, Marjane Satrapi

37. Ready Player One, Ernest Cline

38. Red Bones, Ann Cleeves

39. Founding Mothers: The Women Who Raised Our Nation, Cokie Roberts

40. Her Royal Spyness, Rhys Bowen

41. The Mistress of Nothing, Kate Pullinger

August

42. Persepolis 2: The Story of a Return, Marjane Satrapi

43. Dead Before Morning, Geraldine Evans

44. The Warden, Anthony Trollope

45. The Things They Carried, Tim O’Brien

46. The Plover, Brian Doyle

47. Killing Floor, Lee Child

48. The Mummy Case, Elizabeth Peters

49. Notorious RBG: The Life and Times of Ruth Bader Ginsburg, Irin Carmon

50. Clash of Civilizations Over an Elevator in Piazza Vittorio, Amara Lakhous

51. Looking Good Dead, Peter James

52. Silence of the Grave, Arnaldur Indridason

53. You’re Never Weird on the Internet, Felicia Day

September

54. The Last Policeman, Ben H. Winters

55. Men Explain Things to Me, Rebecca Solnit

56. Barchester Towers, Anthony Trollope

57. Die Trying, Lee Child

58. Tricky Business, Dave Barry

59. Between the World and Me, Ta-Nehisi Coates

60. The Art of Racing in the Rain, Garth Stein

October

61. Countdown City, Ben H. Winters

62. A Morbid Taste for Bones, Ellis Peters

63. The Lake House, Kate Morton

64. Homegoing, Yaa Gyasi

65. We Have Always Lived in the Castle, Shirley Jackson

66. World of Trouble, Ben H. Winters

67. Royal Flush, Rhys Bowen

November

68. A Royal Pain, Rhys Bowen

69. The Sunne in Splendour, Sharon Kay Penman

70. The Plantegenets: The Warrior Kings and Queens Who Made England,  Dan Jones

71. The Queen’s Man, Sharon Kay Penman

72. Cruel as the Grave, Sharon Kay Penman

73. One Corpse Too Many, Ellis Peters

74. The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time, Mark Haddon

December

75. The Snack Thief, Andrea Camilleri

76. The Good Girls Revolt: How the Women of Newsweek Sued their Bosses and Changed the World, Lynn Povich

77. The Grand Sophy, Georgette Heyer

78. A Man Called Ove, Fredrik Backman

79. When Christ and His Saints Slept, Sharon Kay Penman

80. Born a Crime: Stories of a South African Childhood, Trevor Noah

81. Voices, Arnaldur Indridason

• Like 16

STACIA!!!!!!!  YOU GUYS!!!!!!!!!!!!  I just got the coolest gift ever!!!  My very own, custom, 240 square Bingo card!!!!!!   Yep, you heard that right, it is 5 x 48 squares! And some of the coolest, funniest categories I've ever seen.  Let's see, some of my favorites are: Travel Gone Wrong, Has a Cemetery In It, I Would Be Embarrassed To Be Seen Reading This on the Subway, People Wearing Pantaloons, Book With Chickens on the Cover, Characters Need Saddles in the Book, and the list goes on, and on, and on!  I hear mumto2, Mom-ninja, and Jane in NC helped come up with some of the categories.  Thank you all so much! 

Seriously, thanks you guys. I don't think I've ever gotten a funnier and more creative gift. I posted it on the wall right beside my computer and I will have a lot of fun filling it in. I don't promise to fill the whole thing in one year, but I will definitely make a dent in it! 

:001_wub:  :001_wub:  :001_wub:  :biggrinjester:

Edited by Chrysalis Academy
  • Like 24

For local author in BaW bingo, how local does it need to be? Does an author from your state count? We really don't have many right here.

Kathy, the way I found a book for this category was to go to my county library's website, and they have a tab for local authors.  Maybe yours has something similar? I was pleasantly surprised to find that TC Boyle lives a few towns down the river - same county, which I figured was local enough. I had one of his books on my TR list anyway, so there you go.

• Like 11

When we next play, we're going to use the circular arrangement that was shown in a Rules Appendix that came in our box.  We'll use a button to indicate the two cards that are at one's feet, and then move the button around the circular arrangement of two by four cards rather than moving all the cards forward if they're in a line.

Please explain the two napkins that you mentioned. I'm not sure I understand.

Regards,

Kareni

We have the earliest addition, so we don't have the Rules Appendix or the button. Interesting. 

In the first edition you have a line of cards several cards in length. Continually moving them forward can be a pain so we take a few folded cloth napkins and use them as a conveyor belt. Generally 3 cards can fit on a napkin. Once the cards are taken off we move the napkin to the back and place more cards on it. 

It keeps us from being too anal with moving the line of cards along and neatening everything up every few seconds. 

• Like 11

Kathy, the way I found a book for this category was to go to my county library's website, and they have a tab for local authors.  Maybe yours has something similar? I was pleasantly surprised to find that TC Boyle lives a few towns down the river - same county, which I figured was local enough. I had one of his books on my TR list anyway, so there you go.

Thanks. Quite honestly, most of the truly local authors are pretty bad. I've tried a few in the past.  :tongue_smilie:

I could probably re-read A Land Remembered. It's been a few years since I assigned it to ds, and probably close to 20 years since I initially read it. The author Patrick Smith, lived in my county for years. He used to show up at various pioneer demonstrations and seafood festivals to sign copies of that and his other books. I'm just not sure I can take reading (again) about the destruction of Florida's fragile land at this time. 

John Green grew up in the Orlando area (at least for a while) and Dave Barry - a Miami based writer - is one of my favorite humor writers. Then there's WTM's Katie Meyer who writes Harlequin romances. She lives probably less than an hour from me even though it's another county. I was hoping to stretch the miles a bit on the definition of local. :D

ETA: Can you tell what I'm working on tonight? Yep. I'm fleshing out the last few squares on BaW 2017 bingo. I don't think I've done it like this before. Usually I fly by the seat of my pants. Of course, all of my choices are subject to change. And I'm not filling in every square because some are my usual type of reading, so I know I'll get them done without prior planning.

Edited by Lady Florida.
  • Like 14

STACIA!!!!!!!  YOU GUYS!!!!!!!!!!!!  I just got the coolest gift ever!!!  My very own, custom, 240 square Bingo card!!!!!!   Yep, you heard that right, it is 5 x 48 squares! And some of the coolest, funniest categories I've ever seen.  Let's see, some of my favorites are: Travel Gone Wrong, Has a Cemetery In It, I Would Be Embarrassed To Be Seen Reading This on the Subway, People Wearing Pantaloons, Book With Chickens on the Cover, Characters Need Saddles in the Book, and the list goes on, and on, and on!  I hear mumto2, Mom-ninja, and Jane in NC helped come up with some of the categories.  Thank you all so much! 

Seriously, thanks you guys. I don't think I've ever gotten a funnier and more creative gift. I posted it on the wall right beside my computer and I will have a lot of fun filling it in. I don't promise to fill the whole thing in one year, but I will definitely make a dent in it! 

This sound hilarious, and perfect for you. What fun!

• Like 10

I just got the coolest gift ever!!!  My very own, custom, 240 square Bingo card!!!!!!   Yep, you heard that right, it is 5 x 48 squares! And some of the coolest, funniest categories I've ever seen. 

What fun indeed!  I look forward to hearing of more categories as you make progress.

We have the earliest addition, so we don't have the Rules Appendix or the button. Interesting. 

In the first edition you have a line of cards several cards in length. Continually moving them forward can be a pain so we take a few folded cloth napkins and use them as a conveyor belt. Generally 3 cards can fit on a napkin. Once the cards are taken off we move the napkin to the back and place more cards on it. 

It keeps us from being too anal with moving the line of cards along and neatening everything up every few seconds. 

Ah, now I understand. In fact, when I mentioned the napkins to my husband, he understood immediately.  (Call me slow today!)

The Rules appendix in our game suggests a layout with a clock arrangement with two cards at the top, two to the left and two to the right of center (which contains the decay pile), and two beneath the center.  The button (not included) was our thought as to how to mark the two cards that are immediately underfoot.  We thought a Monopoly boot would be a fine marker, but we don't have on one hand (or foot!).

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 9

Thanks. Quite honestly, most of the truly local authors are pretty bad. I've tried a few in the past.  :tongue_smilie:

I could probably re-read A Land Remembered. It's been a few years since I assigned it to ds, and probably close to 20 years since I initially read it. The author Patrick Smith, lived in my county for years. He used to show up at various pioneer demonstrations and seafood festivals to sign copies of that and his other books. I'm just not sure I can take reading (again) about the destruction of Florida's fragile land at this time. 

John Green grew up in the Orlando area (at least for a while) and Dave Barry - a Miami based writer - is one of my favorite humor writers. Then there's WTM's Katie Meyer who writes Harlequin romances. She lives probably less than an hour from me even though it's another county. I was hoping to stretch the miles a bit on the definition of local. :D

ETA: Can you tell what I'm working on tonight? Yep. I'm fleshing out the last few squares on BaW 2017 bingo. I don't think I've done it like this before. Usually I fly by the seat of my pants. Of course, all of my choices are subject to change. And I'm not filling in every square because some are my usual type of reading, so I know I'll get them done without prior planning.

I'm a Florida girl and I love A Land Remembered. My dad was a history professor and he always recommended that one to his students.

• Like 10

Here's my wrap up for the year.  I'll post my list of books in a bit.

How many books did you read and did you meet or beat your own personal goal?  Or did you get caught up in reading and forget to keep?    

2016 turned out to be a stressful year for a variety of reasons which means my goals went out the window and I escaped into comfort reads, sticking with favorite authors.    So I ended up rereading quite a few and didn't keep track of how many.  However  after perusing my shelves, both physical and virtual, recreated my reading year and discovered I have read 101 books.  What fun! What memories!    I discovered a few books lost in the shelves to read for next year.  They keep having babies.  Derailed by rabbit trails!  Back to the subject at hand.

Statistics wise:

101 Books
49 authors
11 are new to me
34 female
36 whole series or part of series
49 paranormal and urban fantasy with a couple dystopian thrown in for good measure. The remainder are a mixture of mystery and suspense, psychological thrillers or mild horror, contemporary romance and historical.
43 print books
58 e-books
17 Chunky
6 nonfiction

What were your most favorite stories?   Any stories that stayed with you a long time,  left you wanting more or needed to digest for a while before starting another?  Did you read any books that touched you and made you laugh, cry, sing or dance. 

I fell in like with Diana Gabaldon's Outlander series this year and devoured all eight chunky books as well as binge watched the first two seasons of the TV series on Starz.  Once I finished the series, it took me a while to move on as my head was full of Claire, Jamie and company.  It made me laugh, sigh, yell in frustration at stupid choices, cringe during fight scenes and  saddened when a favored character died.

Robert McCammon's dystopian Swan Song captured my attention and left me wanting to know what happened to the characters after the end of the story. 

T.M. Causey's Saints of the Lost and Found enthralled with the character who could read any person she came in contact with and know what they had lost - whether physically or emotionally or spiritually.   As soon as I finished it, I turned right around and read it again. 

What is the one book or the one author you thought you'd never read and found yourself pleasantly surprised that you liked it?  Any that made you want to toss it across the room in disgust?

Vikram Seth's A Suitable Boy both surprised and disgusted me.  It was a fascinating adventure into  India in the 1960's. A blend of culture and politics and how it plays a role in the life of both family and friends. Seth has a way of weaving a story and enmeshing the reader into the characters lives. So when the character didn't make what I considered the right choice, I wanted to throw the book across the room in disgust.   

What countries and time periods did you visit?  

I went from the bottom of the sea up to outer space.  Spent quite a bit of time visiting various countries in Europe including England, Scotland, France and Greece.  Traveled through the Middle East and settled down in India for a bit. Visited the past as well as the future and explored alternative worlds.  I traveled the Appalachian trail  with Bill Bryson and experienced the 60's through Joan Didion's eyes.

Plans for next year?  Attempt to stay on track and have fun with birthstone bookology. Read from my own stacks until... well, just until I give in and buy that next new book in the series I've been waiting for.   😎

Happy to say this year is ending on a very thrilling note as we just closed on a new business property. Let's just say after 6 months of hoops, I'm an expert hoop jumper now. A story for another day.   You might say the planning and renovating a new building, while sorting, throwing away and packing a business that's been in the same spot for 28 years will be equally stressful.  But in this case, the good kind, so onward and upward.

~cheers~

• Like 16

I haven't quite finished this re-read of A Civil Contract, but I had to share this quote:

"He was not her lover, but perhaps, she thought, dropping over the edge of sleep, she could become his friend. friendship might hold no place in a girl's dreams, but dreams were insubstantial: escapes from reality into the glorious impossible. To consider the likely future was not to dream: it was to look forward; the essence of a dream was to ignore probability and one knew it, even at the height of fancy. . . Friendship was not to be despised after all: it was a warm thing, perhaps more durable than love, though falling such a long way short of love."

• Like 11

The final list! Yes, I like series and chunky books!    :thumbup:

• Andy Weir - The Martian 
  • Anne Bishop -#4  Marked in Flesh  ( Others, 416)
  • Ben Coes - Power Down
  • Bill Bryson - A Walk in the Woods (nf 397)
  • Cindy Gerard - #4 Taking Fire  (One Eyed Jacks, 384)
  • Dean Koontz - The City (544)
  • Dean Koontz - Icebound (416)
  • Dean Koontz - One Door Away from Heaven (681)
  • Debbie Macomber - #1 Inn at Rose Harbor (Rose Harbor)
  • Debbie Macomber -  #2 Rose Harbor in Bloom
  • Debbie Macomber -  #3 Love Letters
  • Debbie Macomber -  #4 Silver Linings
  • Debbie Macomber -  #5 Sweet Tomorrows
  • Devon Monk - #1 Death and Relaxation (Ordinary Magic)
  • Devon Monk - #2 Devils and Details  
  • Diana Gabaldon - #1 Outlander (Outlander series, 850)
  • Diana Gabaldon - #2 Dragonfly in Amber (976)
  • Diana Gabaldon - #3  Voyager (1104)
  • Diana Gabaldon - #4 Drums of Autumn (1070)
  • Diana Gabaldon - #5 The Fiery Cross (1443)
  • Diana Gabaldon - #6 A Breath of Snow and Ashes (1488)
  • Diana Gabaldon - #7 An Echo in the Bone (1200)
  • Diana Gabaldon - #8 Written in my Own Heart’s Blood (1152)
  • Diana Gabaldon -  Lord John and the Private Matter 
  • Diana Gabaldon -  Lord John and the Brotherhood of the Blade
  • Diana Rowland - #8 Legacy of the Demon (Demon series)
  • Dinty Moore Rose Metal Press Field Guide to Writing Flash Non Fiction (NF)
  • Dinty Moore - Crafting the Personal Essay (NF)
  • Elaine Levine - #1 The Edge of Courage  (Red Team, 375)
  • Ella Summers - # 1 Vampire's Kiss (Legion of Angels)
  • Faith Hunter – #10 Shadow Rites (Jane Yellowrock, 368)
  • Faith Hunter - #1 Bloodring (Rogue Mage)
  • Faith Hunter - #2 Seraphs
  • Faith Hunter - #3 The Host
  • Illona Andrews - #1 Magic Stars  (Gray Wolf)
  • Illona Andrews – #1 Burn for Me  (Hidden Legacy)
  • Illona Andrews -- #9 Magic Binds (Kate Daniels)
  • J.D. Robb - #41 Devoted in Death (In Death, 374)
  • J.D. Robb - #42 Brotherhood in Death (400)
  • J.D. Robb - #43 Apprentice in Death (375)
  • J.R. Ward - #1 Blood Kiss (Black Dagger Legacy) 
  • J.R. Ward – The Beast (Black Dagger brotherhood)
  • Jack Hart – A Writing Coach (NF, 304)
  • James Rollins - The Bone Labyrinth (Sigma Force, 471)
  • Jayne Ann Krentz  -  #1 Lost Night (Rainshadow) 
  • Jayne Krentz  -  #2 Deception Cove 
  • Jayne Ann Krentz  - #4  Siren's Call 
  • Jayne Ann Castle – #1 After Dark (Ghost Hunter)
  • Jayne Ann Castle - #1 Amaryllis (St Helens)
  • Jennifer Estep - #1 Cold Burn of Magic  (Black Blade)
  • Jennifer Estep - #2 Dark Heart of Magic
  • Jennifer Estep - #3 Bright Blade of Magic  
  • Jim Butcher - #3 Grave Peril  (Dresden, 378)
  • Jim Butcher - Aeronaut's Windlass (768)
  • Joan Didion - Slouching Towards Bethlehem  (NF, 256) 
  • Joann Ross - Impulse 
  • Julie Ann Walker - #1  Devil and the Deep (Deep Six)
  • Julie Ann Walker - #2 Hot as Hell 
  • Justin Cronin - #1 The Passage (Passage, 785)
  • Justin Cronin - #2 The Twelve (608) 
  • Justin Cronin - #3 City of Mirrors (624)
  • Karen Marie Moning  #8 Feverborn  (Fever)
  • Katie Meyer - #1 Valentine for the Vet (Paradise Animal Clinic)
  • Katie Meyer - #2 Puppy Proposal 
  • Kim Harrison - #1 Dead Witch Walking ( The Hollows)
  • Kim Harrison - #1 The Drafter (Peri Reed Chronicles)
  • Kim Harrison - #2 The Operator 
  • Kay Hooper - Fear the Dark  (Bishop/Special Crimes)
  • Keri Arthur - #1 City of Light  (Outcast, 368)
  • Keri Arthur - #3 Flameout (Souls of Fire) 
  • Keri Arthur - #2 Winter Halo (Outcast)
  • Kristin Hannah – True Colors
  • Lee Child - The Affair (Jack Reacher) 
  • Lee Child - Never Go Back (Jack Reacher, 607) 
  • Lilith SaintCrow - The Marked
  • Lindsay Fairleigh - Inkwitch (Kat Dubois)
  • Menna Van Praag – Dress Shop of Dreams (336)
  • Michael Scott - The Necromancer (Nicholas Flamel,403)
  • M.L. Buchman - # 2 Heart Strike  (Delta force)
  • M.L. Buchman – #2 Full Blaze (Firehawks)
  • M.L. Buchman – #4  Flash of Fire (Firehawks)
  • Nalini Singh - Wild Embrace  (Novella)
  • Nalini Singh - Archangel's Heart (Guild Hunter)
  • Nalini Singh - Allegiance of Honor (Psy Changeling)
  • Naveed Saleh - Complete Guide to Article Writing (NF, 261)
  • Nora Roberts - The Liar (560)
  • Nora Roberts - The Obsession (464)
  • Nora Roberts - #1 Stars of Fortune (Guardian’s Trilogy, 352 )
  • Nora Roberts - #2 Bay of Sighs ( 352)
  • Nora Roberts - #3 Island of Glass (485) 
  • Patricia Briggs – # 9 Fire Touched (Mercedes Thompson)
  • Robert McCammon – Swan Song (856)
  • Robyn Carr - #6 The Homecoming (Thunder Point)
  • Robyn Carr - #7 One Wish  
  • Robyn Carr - #8 A New Hope 
  • Robyn Carr - #9 Wildest Dreams
  • Seanan McGuire - #1 Rosemary and Rue (October Daye)
  • Susan Wiggs - Snowfall at Willow Lake 
  • T.M. Causey – Saints of the Lost and Found
  • Vikram Seth -  A Suitable Boy (1474)
  • Like 15

Nope... 20 lashes with a wet noodle.   :laugh: .   Seriously, totally understand and look forward to reading your wrap up in the new year.  

:001_wub:

• Like 9

The final list! Yes, I like series and chunky books!    :thumbup:

• Andy Weir - The Martian 
  • Anne Bishop -#4  Marked in Flesh  ( Others, 416)

I enjoyed seeing your list, Robin, but I'm curious.  What is the significance of 416 and of other numbers in parentheses?

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 7

You are very welcome, Jane!  I had a lot of fun shopping for your books.

I liked the picture of your Christmas booty.  Please share how your thoughts on the game Patchwork; I've heard good things about it. 

No Secret Santa gift here as yet; perhaps it will come in Tuesday's mail.  On Wednesday, I leave for a good two weeks with my mother and sister.  We will be helping my mother move into an assisted living place.  Please send good thoughts for a smooth transition.

Regards,

Kareni

Karen, I'm sorry about your secret santa and sent a little something to you. Should be in your email in the next day or so! 

:grouphug: and  :wub:

• Like 8

Books Read in 2016

1.     A Christmas Carol – Charles Dickens

2.     Lights Out: A Cyber Attack, a Nation Unprepared, Surviving the Aftermath – Ted Koppel

3.     A Crane Christmas (Morelville Mysteries #6) – Anne Hagan 

4.     Viva Mama Rossi! (Morelville Mysteries #5) – Anne Hagan 

5.     The Passed Prop (The Morelville Cozies #1) – Anne Hagan

6.     Mudbound – Hillary Jordan - One of my top 20 reads

7.     Treasure Island – Robert Louis Stevenson

8.     Murder at the Vicarage (Miss Marple #1) – Agatha Christie

9.     The Body in the Library (Miss Marple #3) – Agatha Christie

10.    A Siege of Bitterns (Birder Murder Mystery #1) – Steve Burrows 

11.     Animal, Vegetable, Miracle: A Year of Food Life – Barbara Kingsolver 

12.     Bonhoeffer: Pastor, Martyr, Prophet, Spy – Eric Metaxas - One of my top 20 best reads

13.     Tapas, Carrot Cake and a Corpse (Charlotte Denver Mystery #1) – Sherri Bryan

14.    Pumpkins, Peril and a Paella (Charlotte Denver Mystery #4) – Sherri Bryan 

15.    Fudge Cake, Felony and a Funeral (Charlotte Denver Mystery #2) – Sherri Bryan

16.    Spare Ribs, Secrets and a Scandal (Charlotte Denver Mystery #3) – Sherri Bryan

17.    The Evolution of Calpurnia Tate (Calpurnia Tate #1) – Jacqueline Kelly

18.    The Adventures of Tom Sawyer – Mark Twain

19.    A Pitying of Doves (Birder Murder Mystery #2) – Steve Burrows 

20.    The Curious World of Calpurnia Tate (Calpurnia Tate #2) – Jacqueline Kelly 

21.     Learning to Walk in the Dark – Barbara Brown Taylor

22.     The Invention of Wings – Sue Monk Kidd - One of my top 20 best reads

23.     The Revolt – Susan Wise Bauer - One of my top 20 best reads

24.     A Murder in Mount Moriah (A Lindsay Harding Mystery #1) – Mindy Quigley 

25.     A Death in Duck (A Lindsay Harding Mystery #2) – Mindy Quigley 

26.     The Burnt Island Burial Ground (A Lindsay Harding Mystery #3) – Mindy Quigley

27.     A Midsummer Night’s Dream – Shakespeare 

28.     Gandhi the Man: How One Man Changed Himself to Change the World – Eknath Easwaran 

29.     Mr. Penumbra’s 24-Hour Book Store – Robin Sloan - One of my top 20 best reads

30.     Ronnie Gilbert: A Radical Life in Song – Ronnie Gilbert

31.     The Clothes They Stood Up In & The Lady in the Van – Alan Bennett 

32.     While You Were Mine – Ann Howard Creel

33.     Uprooted – Naomi Novik - One of my top 20 best reads

34.     The Round House – Louise Erdrich - one of my top 20 best reads 

35.     Parnassus on Wheels – Christopher Morley - one of my top 20 best reads

36.     The Boreal Owl Murder (A Bob White Murder Mystery #1) – Jan Dunlap

37.     Garden Spells (Waverly Family #1) – Sarah Addison Allen - one of my top 20 best reads 

38.      First Frost (Waverly Family #2) – Sarah Addison Allen

39.      One Year After – William R. Forstchen

40.      All Roads Lead Home (Bellingwood #1) – Diane Greenwood Muir 

41.      Moon Signs (Moon Mystery #1) – Helen Haught Fanick

42.      Saltbound: A Block Island Winter – Chilton Williamson 

43.      How to Read the Bible – Harvey Cox

44.      The Violets of March – Sarah Jio

45.      The Bark of the Bog Owl (Wilderking Trilogy #1) – Jonathan Rogers 

46.      April in Bloom – Annie Jones 

47.      The Moving Finger (Miss Marple #4) – Agatha Christie 

48.       Snow in April – Rosamunde Pilcher

49.       A Cafecito Story: El Cuento de Cafecito – Julia Alvarez 

50.        Murder on Cape Cod (A Jane Adams Mystery) – B.H. Gates

51.  Mistletoe Murder (Lucy Stone #1) – Leslie Meier 

52.  The Secret of the Swamp King (Wilderking Trilogy #2) – Jonathan Rogers 

53.  The Wild Muir: Twenty-Two of John Muir’s Greatest Adventures 

54.  All the Light We Cannot See – Anthony Doerr  - one of my top 20 best reads

55.  The Way of the Wilderking (Wilderking Trilogy #3) – Jonathan Rogers 

56.  The Eagle Tree – Ned Hayes

57.  Murder on Warbler Weekend (A Bob White Birder Mystery #2) – Jan Dunlap 

58.  Keep Your Courage: A Radical Christian Feminist Speaks – Carter Heyward

59.  Tippy Toe Murder (Lucy Stone #2) – Leslie Meier

60.  Howards End is on the Landing: A Year of Reading from Home – Susan Hill

61.  The Wild Trees: A Story of Passion and Daring – Richard Preston

62.  The Thoughts and Happenings of Wilfred Price, Purveyor of Superior Funerals (Wilfred Price #1) – Wendy Jones - one of my top 20 best reads

63.    A Murder is Announced (Miss Marple #5) – Agatha Christie

64.    Trick or Treat Murder (Lucy Stone #3) – Leslie Meier

65.   Bread and Roses, Too – Katherine Paterson 

66.   The World is a Wedding (Wilfred Price #2) – Wendy Jones

67.   The Ladies Auxiliary – Tova Mirvis - one of my top 20 best reads

68.   Jane Addams: Spirit in Action – Louise Knight - one of my top 20 best reads

69.  Latitudes of Melt – Joan Clark - one of my top 20 best reads

70.  A Bobwhite Killing (A Bob White Birder Mystery #3) – Jan Dunlap 

71.  Falcon Finale (A Bob White Birder Mystery #4) – Jan Dunlap

72.  They Do It With Mirrors (Miss Marple #6) – Agatha Christie

73. Patterns of Grace: Human Experience as Word of God – Tom F. Driver

74. The Organic Life: Confessions of a Suburban Homesteader – Joan Gussow Dye

75. Home – Toni Morrison 

76. Back to School Murder (Lucy Stone #4) – Leslie Meier 

77.  Miss Julia Speaks Her Mind (Miss Julia #1) – Ann B. Ross - this whole series is one of my top twenty best reads

78.  Miss Julia Takes Over (Miss Julia #2) – Ann B. Ross

79.  A Murder of Crows (A Bob White Murder Mystery #5) – Jan Dunlap

80.  A Pocketful of Rye (Miss Marple #7) – Agatha Christie

81.  Valentine Murder (Lucy Stone #5) – Leslie Meier

82.  The Outside World – Tova Mirvis 

83.  Miss Julia Throws a Wedding (Miss Julia #3) – Ann B. Ross 

84. Swift Justice (A Bob White Murder Mystery #6) – Jan Dunlap 

85. Miss Julia Hits the Road (Miss Julia #4) – Ann B. Ross

86. Christmas Cookie Murder (Lucy Stone #6) – Leslie Meier

87. Pigs in Heaven – Barbara Kingsolver - one of my top 20 best reads

88. 4:50 from Paddington (Miss Marple #8) – Agatha Christie

89. To Dwell in Peace: An Autobiography – Daniel Berrigan 

90. The Kiskadee of Death (A Bob White Birder Mystery #7) – Jan Dunlap 

91. Miss Julia Meets Her Match (Miss Julia #5) – Ann B. Ross

92. Turkey Day Murder (Lucy Stone #7) – Leslie Meier

93. The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe – C.S. Lewis

94. Undercover Inmates (Agnes Barton Senior Sleuths Mystery #10) – Madison Johns

95.  Miss Julia’s School of Beauty (Miss Julia #6) – Ann B. Ross

96.  Birds of a Feather (Agnes Barton Senior Sleuths Mystery #9) – Madison Johns 

97.  The Magnificent Spinster – May Sarton

98.  Major Pettigrew’s Last Stand – Helen Simonson - one of my top 20 best reads

99.  The Mirror Cracked From Side to Side – Agatha Christie

100. The Magician’s Nephew – C.S. Lewis 

101. The Horse and His Boy – C.S. Lewis

102.  Prince Caspian – C.S. Lewis

103.  Miss Julia Stands Her Ground (Miss Julia #7) – Ann B. Ross 

104.  The $64 Tomato: How One Man Nearly Lost His Sanity, Spent a Fortune, Endured an Existential Crisis in the Quest for the Perfect Garden – William Alexander

105.  Miss Julia Strikes Back (Miss Julia #8) – Ann B. Ross 

106.  Miss Julia Paints the Town (Miss Julia #9) – Ann B. Ross

107.  Miss Julia Delivers the Goods (Miss Julia #10) – Ann B. Ross 

108.  Miss Julia Renews Her Vows (Miss Julia #11) – Ann B. Ross

109. A Cast of Falcons (Birder Murder Mystery #3) – Steve Burrows

110. The Unexpected Mrs. Pollifax (Mrs. Pollifax #1) – Dorothy Gilman 

111. Miss Julia Rocks the Cradle (Miss Julia #12) – Ann B. Ross

112. Wedding Day Murder (Lucy Stone #8) – Leslie Meier 

113. The Mandibles: A Family, 2029-2047 – Lionel Shriver 

114. The Amazing Mrs. Pollifax (Mrs. Pollifax #2) – Dorothy Gilman

115. Miss Julia to the Rescue (Miss Julia #13) – Ann B. Ross

116. Three Junes – Julia Glass

117. Miss Julia Stirs Up Trouble (Miss Julia #14) – Ann B. Ross

118. Miss Julia’s Gift (Miss Julia #14.5) – Ann B. Ross

119. The Sparrow Sisters – Ellen Herrick - one of my top 20 best reads

120. The Beet Queen – Louise Erdrich - one of my top 20 best reads

121. The Voyage of the Dawn Treader – C.S. Lewis 

122.  Miss Julia’s Marvelous Makeover (Miss Julia #15) – Ann B. Ross 

123.  Knee-High By the Fourth of July – Jess Lourey 

124.  All the Birds in the Sky – Charlie Jane Anders

125.  Birthday Party Murder (Lucy Stone #9) – Leslie Meier

126.  Broken Women – Anne Hagan

127.  Hannah’s Hope (The Morelville Mysteries #8) – Anne Hagan 

128. The Silver Chair – C.S. Lewis

129. Etta Mae’s Worst Bad Luck Day (Miss Julia #16)

130. The Moon Sisters – Therese Walsh - one of my top 20 best reads

131. A Caribbean Mystery (Miss Marple #10) – Agatha Christie

132. The Last Battle – C.S. Lewis

133. Blessing the Hands that Feed Us: What Eating Closer to Home Can Teach Us About Food, Community, and Our Place on Earth – Vicki Robin 

134. The Hills at Home: A Novel – Nancy Clark 

135. Father’s Day Murder (Lucy Stone #10) – Leslie Meier

136. Miss Julia Lays Down the Law (Miss Julia #17) – Ann B. Ross

137. $2.00 a Day: Living on Almost Nothing in America – Kathryn Edin - one of my top 20 best reads

138.  Around the World with Auntie Mame – Patrick Dennis

139. Travels with Charley: In Search of America – John Steinbeck

140.  Wolf Hollow – Lauren Wolk

141.  The Curious Charms of Arthur Pepper – Phaedra Patrick

142. Camping Caper (An Agnes Barton Senior Sleuths Mystery #11) – Madison Johns

143. Thirty More Famous Stories Retold – James Baldwin 

144. The Dry Grass of August – Anna Jean Mayhew - one of my top 20 best reads

145. What Darwin Saw: Based on Charles Darwin’s Recollections of His Voyage Around the World in the Ship Beagle

146.  Story of the World: Volume 4: The Modern Age

147.  World Made By Hand – James Howard Kunstler - one of my top 20 best reads (the series)

148.  Miss Julia Inherits a Mess – Ann B. Ross

149.  O Pioneers! – Willa Cather - one of my top 20 best reads

150.  Star Spangled Murder – Leslie Meier 

151.  Mad for Mel – Anne Hagan

152. The Witch of Hebron (World Made By Hand #2) – James Howard Kunstler

153. New Year’s Eve Murder – Leslie Meier 

154.  House-Bound – Winifred Peck

155.  Bake Sale Murder – Leslie Meier

156.  A Yellow Raft in Blue Water – Michael Dorris

157. A Year By the Sea – Joan Anderson

158. Miss Dreamsville and the Collier County Women’s Literary Society (Miss Dreamsville #1) – Amy Hill Hearth - one of my top 20 best reads

159. St. Patrick’s Day Murder – Leslie Meier 

160. Mothers’ Day Murder – Leslie Meier

161. Ember Falls – S.D. Smith

162. A History of the Future (World Made By Hand #3) – James Howard Kunstler

163. The Wicked Witch Murder (Lucy Stone #16) – Leslie Meier

164. English Tea Murder (Lucy Stone #17) – Leslie Meier

165. Chocolate Covered Murder (Lucy Stone #18) - Leslie Meier

166. Easter Bunny Murder (Lucy Stone #19) – Leslie Meier

167. Jayber Crow – Wendell Berry  - one of my top 20 best reads

168.  Christmas Carol Murder (Lucy Stone #20) – Leslie Meier

169.  Miss Dreamsville and the Lost Heiress of Collier County – Amy Hill Hearth

170.  French Pastry Murder (Lucy Stone #21) – Leslie Meier

171.  Candy Corn Murder (Lucy Stone #22) – Leslie Meier

172.  September – Rosamunde Pilcher

173.  The End of Summer – Rosamunde Pilcher 

174.  The Song of the Lark – Willa Cather

175.  The Alchemist – Paulo Coelho 

176.   The Underground Railroad – Colson Whitehead 

177.  The Girl Who Chased the Moon – Sarah Addison Allen - one of my top 20 best reads

178.  October Song – Beverly Lewis

179.   A Corner of White (The Colors of Madeleine #1) – Jaclyn Moriarty

180.  The Peach Keeper – Sarah Addison Allen

181.  The Time Traveler’s Wife – Audrey Niffenegger - one of my top 20 best reads

182. The Cracks in the Kingdom (Colours of Madeleine #2) – Jaclyn Moriarty

183.  A Tangle of Gold (Colours of Madeleine #3) – Jaclyn Moriarty

184.  Death of a Baritone: A Music Lover’s Mystery – Karen Sturges

185. Though the Darkness Hide Thee – Susan Wise Bauer

186. The Sugar Queen – Sarah Addison Allen

187. Lost Lake (Lost Lake #1) – Sarah Addison Allen

188. British Manor Murder (Lucy Stone #23) – Leslie Meier

189. The Whistling Season – Ivan Doig  - one of my top 20 best reads

190. Quartet in Autumn – Barbara Pym 

191.  The Postmistress – Sarah Blake - one of my top 20 best reads

192.  Underground Airlines – Ben H. Winters - one of my top 20 best reads

193. Butterflies in November – Ava Auour Olafsdottir

194. The Improper Life of Bezellia Grove – Susan Gregg Gilmore

195. The Harrows of Spring (World Made By Hand #4) – James Howard Kunstler

196.  Work Song – Ivan Doig 

197.  The Country of the Pointed Firs – Sarah Orne Jewett

198.  Die, Die Birdie (A Bird Lover’s Mystery) – J.R. Ripley

199.  Bought the Farm – Jeff Shelby

200. When the Rooster Kills (A Rainy Day Mystery) – Jeff Shelby

201. The Murder Pit (A Moose River Mystery) – Jeff Shelby  

202. Crack of Death (A Rainy Day Mystery #3) – Jeff Shelby

203. Last Resort (A Moose River Mystery #2) – Jeff Shelby

204.  Alibi High (Moose River #3) – Jeff Shelby

205. Death of a Pooh-Bah – Karen Sturges 

206. Ordained Irreverence (Elmo Jenkins #1) – McMillan Moody 

207. Foul Play (Moose River #4) – Jeff Shelby

208. Some Things Never Change (Elmo Jenkins #2) – McMillian Moody 

209. The Old Man and the Tea (Elmo Jenkins #3) – McMillian Moody

210. Vindication of the Rights of Woman – Mary Wollstonecraft  

211.  Sword of the Rightful King – Jane Yolen

212.  Watership Down – Richard Adams

213. Pomegranate Soup (Babylon Café #1) – Marsha Mehran - one of my top 20 best reads

214. The Wombat Strategy (Kylie Kendall #1) – Claire McNab

215.  Rose Water and Soda Bread (Babylon Café #2) – Marsha Mehran

216.  A Tale of Two Elmos (Elmo Jenkins #4) – McMillian Moody

217.  Back to December – Lucy Gage

218.  A Time 4 Friends (Elmo Jenkins #5) – McMillian Moody

219.  Only One (Ward Sisters #2) – Lucy Gage

220.  Sweet Thunder – Ivan Doig

221.  Right Here Waiting (Ward Sisters #3) – Lucy Gage

222.  This Year’s Love (Ward Sisters #4) – Lucy Gage

223.  Time to Begin (Ward Sisters #5) – Lucy Gage

For local author in BaW bingo, how local does it need to be? Does an author from your state count? We really don't have many right here.

Yes, it can be from your state if you can't find anyone within your area! 

You have to share a picture! 

• Like 12