Menu

I'm in Atlanta. CNN or Coke tour?

birchbark

I'm accompanying DH on a short business trip in Atlanta and looks like we have tomorrow afternoon free. Thinking about one of these tours. My kids would be awed if we ran into Carl Azuz from CNN Student News. Well, at least we'd be close.

Can any locals give me advice? Is there something else we should consider?

• Like 1

I was just coming back to suggest this. My kids are too young to get much from it, but I've heard good things. Another less known attraction is the CDC museum. It's free and really interesting, but you'd probably need a car to get there.

The Center for Civil and Human Rights is nearby, too, if you have extra time.

https://www.civilandhumanrights.org/

• Like 1

My kids love the Coke Museum, but they are little still.  CNN is more informative.  

The streetcar to Sweet Auburn is perfect for lunch.  I love Bell Street Burritos (voted best in the city!) and Grind House Burgers.  You can continue with the streetcar to the MLK Historic site.  There is a 30 minute tour option if you just have a short amount of time, though of course there is plenty more to see.  

Edited by Zinnia

We did both when (I think) the boys were somewhere in the neighborhood of 8 to 12. CNN was interesting and informative. But it's the Coke tour they remember and still talk about occasionally. I don't think any of us will ever forget the tasting room with products from all over the world. Many of them were quite . . . interesting. And definitely memorable to our American palates. 

Coke tour definitely. You get to sample lots of different flavor of beverage from all over.

We have done both and I wasn't impressed with cnn. We did not meet any of the presenters we only saw them from afar.

If you have time, you can do the MLK site. It is free and quite nice but if you are doing the civil rights museum too then it might be too much- personally I will do MLK as it is free.

The aquarium is nice too but expensive if you do it make sure you see the dolphin show.

We did the CNN basic tour. Kids are not along. And we had to be content with Cardboard Carl in the gift shop. I was able to text DS a photo of us with it and give him a start. :) We enjoyed the tour, but I could see how younger kiddos would not like it as much as others. If we are ever back in town with DS, it would be fun to do the VIP tour and make a better attempt at seeing Carl. We asked the tour guide about Student News and he said when he does school tours, the kids practically mob Carl when given the chance to see him. We did get to see one of the studios where Student News is taped.