Menu

My dad doesn't remember us anymore. I guess he will be leaving us

sooner than we thought. Dementia usually ends a life in 2-5 years. It has been almost 3 since he was diagnosed. I am going to see him tomorrow and we are going to try to put him in a home, against my brother's wishes. Please pray for my sister and I as we try to minister to him.

sooner than we thought. Dementia usually ends a life in 2-5 years. It has been almost 3 since he was diagnosed. I am going to see him tomorrow and we are going to try to put him in a home, against my brother's wishes. Please pray for my sister and I as we try to minister to him.

I know, first hand, of what you speak, of how painful it is, and how pitiful.

Peace,

Hi Pammy, I am so sorry that you and your family have to make this decision. My dh and I have experienced this same situation and have walked your path. My dh and mil had to come to this decision 4 years ago when they placed my dh father in a memory care nursing home. It was very difficult and we had self doubts and feelings of guilt. My fil was still aware of the situation and was very angry for several months. But in time he settled in to his new home. About a year ago he stopped recognizing my dh and when he went to see him there was no recognition. This past spring he started having problems with his bladder and after a couple of proceedures he was diagnosed with bladder cancer. He had surgery this summer and then within 3 week passed away very quickly. They say that most people don't die from this but from other complications. I will pray for you and your family as you make these decisions.

Pammy, I am so, so sorry! I lost my great-grandmother and my grandmother to this, and now my mom is going into it. If it does help, my grandmother, who they said had full blown dementia, did recognize people occasionally for a couple of years afterwards (well, me and my mom, and one of my uncles, we were very close to her).

I can't imagine how difficult this is for you, and am praying for you and your family.

Mom has small vessel disease (vascular dementia) and Dad has Parkinson's-related dementia. We're estranged because I had to take steps to get my mother off the road, and I'm figuring that any day we'll have to put them into a supervised situation. Mom can't cook any more from all reports.

It's heart-breaking!

I was thinking about you Pammy, and hope your weekend was okay. How was your Dad? Did you make a family decision about his care?

My father has Alzheimers, and has for years. I've never heard the 2-5 year statistic, but I don't know anyone with dementia who wasn't alread very old and who died that quickly. I hope that your family will be able to work together to care for him. It's so so so hard, and if you want to talk about it, feel free to PM.

Pammy, I am so, so sorry! I lost my great-grandmother and my grandmother to this, and now my mom is going into it. If it does help, my grandmother, who they said had full blown dementia, did recognize people occasionally for a couple of years afterwards (well, me and my mom, and one of my uncles, we were very close to her).

I used to work in aged care as a nurse aide before I had children and I did a year on a dementia ward. This is very true.

It was described to me as the patient being in a tunnel, every now and then they come out of the tunnel for a while. As they get further into the dementia tunnel the periods out of the tunnel become less frequent and shorter but from my experience they did happen for a very long time after a person seemed to be completely incapable of remembering people. Unfortunately though they are completely unpredictable in timing so it's just very lucky if a relative happens to be there at the time.

I enjoyed those times of clarity with the people I cared for very much. I learnt so much about them in those short periods as I chatted to them.