Menu

Tampons and septic fields

I have always believed that putting tampons in a septic tank is courting disaster. My 16 yo dd ignores all my stern warnings and puts her tampons in the toilet. \

I have 2 questions.

1. Am I correct in fearing that her tampons will cause the early death of my septic field? We do have the tank pumped regularly.

2. If I am correct, how should I proceed? I can't exactly follow her around micromanaging this problem. I'm considering taking the price of a septic field out of her education fund as a damage deposit.

Thanks HiveMind.

Don't flush personal hygiene products into a septic tank/field.

Biodegradable, organic, and liquid. That should be your mantra.

We don't use a garbage disposal, dishwasher, or powdered soaps, or chlorine bleach with ours. All of those things will shorten the lifespan between pumps, or clog your junctions. If you're having to have your tanked pumped "regularly", there's a problem. Since my new tank was installed 9 years ago, we've never had it pumped. It's a 1000 gallon tank with lots of usage. And we don't use commercial shock treatments either. We just follow the simple rules above.

Edited by motherofjoy

I grew up w/septic and my papa was the "tampon police" VERY embarassing to have to be confronted with that. Once we had the septic pumped and the septic guy came with a gross, smelly tampon from the tank and showed it to the girls and reprimanded us all for letting it get into the septic tank (I swear it wasn't mine!).

Now I'm all grown up and managing a septic of my own. NOTHING is put down the toilet except what your body produces & toilet paper. Not even those butt wipes that are supposed to be septic safe.

Maybe if you did a science experiment and put a tampon in a bowl of water to see how long it lasts (forever) your dd would see that they clog up any system.

I have always believed that putting tampons in a septic tank is courting disaster. My 16 yo dd ignores all my stern warnings and puts her tampons in the toilet. \

I have 2 questions.

1. Am I correct in fearing that her tampons will cause the early death of my septic field? We do have the tank pumped regularly.

2. If I am correct, how should I proceed? I can't exactly follow her around micromanaging this problem. I'm considering taking the price of a septic field out of her education fund as a damage deposit.

Thanks HiveMind.

Yes, I've always been told this will kill your field. Who buys her the tampons? I think if it was me I would remove the tampons and let her know she can only use pads at your house until she gets in the habit of throwing them in the garbage instead of flushing them. Do you think that threat would work? I would also make it a science lesson for her to research the type of septic system where you are. How much it is to replace, maybe even go on a field trip with a septic guy for the day and really learn about them.

We just had to replace the septic field at our rental. In fact Dh is there now with ds to reseed the area the new septic is in. Our tenants were not happy when the septic started to fail and all that "stuff" backed up into two bathrooms and overflowed into three bedrooms. Trust me when I say, it's more than just replacing the field. They lost a computer, tons of books, clothes that were on the floor, and lots of other things from the flooding in the house. Then they couldn't do laundry and had to really watch their water use for several weeks until the septic guys could get out there and replace the field. If her room is near a bathroom, point this all out to her.

HTH

Melissa

Biodegradable, organic, and liquid. That should be your mantra.

:lol:

My parents didn't have to have their tank pumped for many years either, they must've known this mantra too.

But one time it was pumped, there were a couple of *items* in there that caused the problem. So OP mom, I'd put my foot down.

Don't flush female doodads in a house with regualr plumbing, either. The kid pays for the plumber when the plumbing woes commence!

We have city water at the office where I work. Last week, we couldn't use the bathrooms for a day because the main water pipe was clogged. After the repairs were done, we got a message from the plumbers: DO NOT FLUSH ANY FEMININE PRODUCTS DOWN THE TOILET. Those poor guys!!!!

We just had a HUGE plumbing problem at our house...my poor guys were downstairs in the basement wading in yuck. What was the cause? One of our tenants was flushing tampons! (Yes, my 17 yr old ds was fishing tampons out of pipes...:eek:)

I grew up in an older home and live in an almost 100 yr old house. We have to be very careful about what we put in the plumbing. I don't have a garbage disposal because dh is concerned about plumbing issues!

I do think the bigger issue is that you've instructed her not to flush them and she's ignoring you. I'd probably find out the cost of having a new tank, pipes or whatever you'd have to do to fix a problem and let her know she's welcome to flush away but she'll need "x" $$ available when there's a problem.

Do not flush into a septic system, egg shells, feminine products, clorox.

Well my mom and sister always forgot and I being dads helper had to help clean septic lines.

We were poor and my dad fixed and did everything around the house including this long coiled wire and digging and running in through the septic lines. I have personally cleaned septic lines several times in my life. The most very unpleasant job in the whole world.

Just got to get my plug in for the DIVACUP.

I cringe at the idea of all the tampons and pads (all bleached which takes likes forever and forever to biodegrade) being used by so many women.

Glad rags is an alternative although I am not sure I could fully go there.

DivaCup though saves money and the enviroment in the long run.

Thanks for allowing my rant....

Emerald

Oh yes, and my dad is a plumber: Nothing including more than 4 sheets of tp at time was allowed.....ever!

DH says no.... but then, it gives him job security right now! LOL!!!

Personally, i can't use them - and have put some down when i must. I figure - if i can get it to fail sooner he will replace it like it needs to be. OH, and at least i don't have to pay to have it pumped...

We actually aren't that "gentle" on ours, i have bad habits of 35 years of NOT having one. Those habits are hard to break :(

(for the record, DH pumps and installs/repairs septic systems)

Warn her that they will come back to haunt her. That the guy who has to eventually fix the septic problem will be instructed to collect them to show her what caused the problem.

Then give her some small disposal bags and if need be, latex gloves to use if she's too grossed out to deal with it.

Ahh, but the Lunette (finland) is so much better than the DivaCup. I used a DivaCup for a couple of years but could always feel some level of discomfort with it. I was determined, one day, to find something perfect -- if it existed. I ordered one of every currently available menstrual cup in every currently available size.

In the following linked forum, the Lunette is (%wise) the fave cup. I discovered this after I fell in love with it. I also love the LadyCup but it's very soft and I have problems with slight leaking with it.

http://community.livejournal.com/menstrual_cups

the DivaCup is the longest of the normal size cups. this seems to be the problematic factor for so many women. Also, it's very very stiff. The Lunette is a little wider - a smidge, a little shorter. The silicone is thinner, yet perhaps slightly more ridgid so it has a great seal.

I also like the UK Mooncup very very much. Fwiw, I find the sizing to be not terribly accurate. For all of the cups, I can wear the large (over 30 or after childbirth regardless of age or route of delivery) or the small. The only difference is how long it takes to fill -- and for some of them, the size affects the comfort level.

Also for all of them, I completely trim the stem. Completely.

I just can't say enough good things about menstrual cups. I can't believe I wasted 22 years messing around with pads (cloth and disposable) and tampons. I find it to be the easiest most comfy solution. Empty and wash twice a day (q12h) and aside from that, I don't have to think of it at all.

:001_smile:

Ahh, but the Lunette (finland) is so much better than the DivaCup. I used a DivaCup for a couple of years but could always feel some level of discomfort with it. I was determined, one day, to find something perfect -- if it existed. I ordered one of every currently available menstrual cup in every currently available size.

In the following linked forum, the Lunette is (%wise) the fave cup. I discovered this after I fell in love with it. I also love the LadyCup but it's very soft and I have problems with slight leaking with it.

http://community.livejournal.com/menstrual_cups

the DivaCup is the longest of the normal size cups. this seems to be the problematic factor for so many women. Also, it's very very stiff. The Lunette is a little wider - a smidge, a little shorter. The silicone is thinner, yet perhaps slightly more ridgid so it has a great seal.

I also like the UK Mooncup very very much. Fwiw, I find the sizing to be not terribly accurate. For all of the cups, I can wear the large (over 30 or after childbirth regardless of age or route of delivery) or the small. The only difference is how long it takes to fill -- and for some of them, the size affects the comfort level.

Also for all of them, I completely trim the stem. Completely.

I just can't say enough good things about menstrual cups. I can't believe I wasted 22 years messing around with pads (cloth and disposable) and tampons. I find it to be the easiest most comfy solution. Empty and wash twice a day (q12h) and aside from that, I don't have to think of it at all.

:001_smile:

Thanks so much for this.

My sister is having a hard time with the DivaCup...I will definitely recommend this.

E

I absolutely can damaged your septic system. I've never been on a city sewer, so don't know about that. But I have lived my whole life with septics, and yes, it can. Also, large amounts of toilet paper are a no-no here. If 'appropriate' the toilet paper is placed in a trash can which I empty daily. Clorox is another thing; it will kill the bacteria needed to break down the sewage.

Eight years ago it cost us $3,000. to put in a new field drain. Ouch. Plus, we got a lecture for free (?) on the dangers of these practices.

Janet

Just got to get my plug in for the DIVACUP.

I cringe at the idea of all the tampons and pads (all bleached which takes likes forever and forever to biodegrade) being used by so many women.

DivaCup though saves money and the enviroment in the long run.

:iagree:I was just about post about my divacup when I read this. I love, love, love it! Though, now I'm wondering if I should give the Lunette a try...thanks for the tip, emeraldjoy.

It does sound like there is an issue with your dd's lack of respect for your authority, so don't overlook your need to address that. However, I can remember when I was a teen and hating the idea of anyone ever knowing that it was my time of the month. I was instantly drawn to tampons despite my mother's fear that I would die of toxic shock. I loved that they were small to carry and easy to conceal, not noticable under clothing, odorless and flushable (we didn't have septic so I always flushed 'em). I always cringed when I had to use a pad. Now that I know about menstrual cups I have a hard time using anything else. There is a slight learning curve but, overall, they are so much better than tampons. If you are so inclined you could let your dd try one and, if she has issues like I had, she would be happy and nothing would be harming your septic. Just my two cents.

I am laughing so hard right now...Truly I had not idea.

I am snorting (my husband has a friend over too and I cannot explain the snorts....even more snorts...).

e

:lol::lol::lol:

I could NOT figure out why this was funny!!! I had to go back 3 or 4 times! :smilielol5:

But, I also highly recommend the Diva (or a similar product, I just happen to like my Diva).

Yes, I've always been told this will kill your field. Who buys her the tampons? I think if it was me I would remove the tampons and let her know she can only use pads at your house until she gets in the habit of throwing them in the garbage instead of flushing them. Do you think that threat would work? I would also make it a science lesson for her to research the type of septic system where you are. How much it is to replace, maybe even go on a field trip with a septic guy for the day and really learn about them.

We just had to replace the septic field at our rental. In fact Dh is there now with ds to reseed the area the new septic is in. Our tenants were not happy when the septic started to fail and all that "stuff" backed up into two bathrooms and overflowed into three bedrooms. Trust me when I say, it's more than just replacing the field. They lost a computer, tons of books, clothes that were on the floor, and lots of other things from the flooding in the house. Then they couldn't do laundry and had to really watch their water use for several weeks until the septic guys could get out there and replace the field. If her room is near a bathroom, point this all out to her.

HTH

Melissa

Better yet, buy her a Keeper! http://www.keeper.com/

And threaten cloth sanitary napkins.

The problem with tampons is that they can block the pipes leading to the field. I personally know two people to whom this happened, and it was wickedly expensive to dig up the pipes.

It's your house. Either she agrees to stop flushing the things, or you simply stop buying them and hand her a box of pads. I think you'll win, lol.

Ria

I have always believed that putting tampons in a septic tank is courting disaster.

1. Am I correct in fearing that her tampons will cause the early death of my septic field?

Thanks HiveMind.

YES, YOU ARE COURTING DISASTER!!

And I would take away every priveledge she has ever known until she stops such irresponsible behavior. (Sheesh!)

Let your 16y/o DD find out the damage that can be caused by tampons in the septic system. If she continues to flush them, let the new system be funded by her college money. It's a shame that it would come to this.

fwiw, I was never told to not flush feminine hygiene products. Last year our downstairs plumbing was completely messed up--it was entirely my fault. I was horrified and terribly embarrassed. Fortunately it only cost $100 to snake the system and not thousands to fund a replacement septic system.