Menu

Ahhhhh! Ack! I lost my student loan today.

My lender is no longer offering loans to education students, nursing students, or certain engineering students because of "the current liquidity situation."

:willy_nilly:

This is about 1/5th of our budget for the year.

I submitted this Aug. 18. The school dragged its feet getting paperwork in. Now, no student loan.

:(

My lender is no longer offering loans to education students, nursing students, or certain engineering students because of "the current liquidity situation."

:willy_nilly:

This is about 1/5th of our budget for the year.

I submitted this Aug. 18. The school dragged its feet getting paperwork in. Now, no student loan.

:(

Oh, my gosh, Pam. I am so, so sorry. I think you should yell and scream ... and I will keep my fingers crossed that there is SOMEONE willing to make these loans.

So no education students, nursing students or engineering students. Um ... to whom are they lending? I thought you had a good chance of getting a job if you were a teacher or a nurse, and certainly some forms of engineering. Am I wrong? 'Cause if I'm right, that doesn't make much sense, on the surface.

(school? bank?), but is there any other recourse? Another lender or bank, perhaps? How about a discussion with the school's financial aid officer? There are still plenty of banks up and running in the U.S., and people getting loans.

Keep checking, and we'll pray for you. Hopefully there's some recourse to all of this. :grouphug:

Oh, no....no other sources? No Stafford for nurses? Oh, no.

To answer this (and others who have asked), I don't know. I suppose. I got the letter today, Friday afternoon after The Exam, and financial aid was closed.

I'm gonna raise heck about their inefficiency, that's for sure. Before, I was only annoyed. Now, I'm furious.

My tuition is paid with scholarships. The student loans are for living expenses. So at least school is taken care of. But... grrrr.

I'm sorry to hear that!

Interestingly, we just found out this week that my son's university never received the disbursement of his Federal Stafford Loan for this semester, and they want their money NOW. It took a lot of digging... but it turns out the lender WENT OUT OF BUSINESS this summer before paying out the loans!

Gee, wouldn't you think we'd have gotten a letter or notice or something?! So, we are scrambling to apply for a loan from someone else, although I'm afraid it might be too late.

Pam,

Sorry to hear this, but aren't student loans guaranteed? Did you fill out a FAFSA? I funded by BSN with student loans, and am currently working toward my MSN with student loans, and I didn't hear anything about possible problems. Now you have me worried . . .

Hope it works out for you:)

Lisa

Pam,

Sorry to hear this, but aren't student loans guaranteed? Did you fill out a FAFSA? I funded by BSN with student loans, and am currently working toward my MSN with student loans, and I didn't hear anything about possible problems. Now you have me worried . . .

Hope it works out for you:)

Lisa

The loans, once awarded, are guaranteed against default. Guaranteed for the lender. But EdAmerica (and the bank that's servicing my loan locally) has no money to lend me, so...

Yes to the FAFSA, but if there's no money, I guess there's no money. My credit is perfect, so it's not that.

I imagine there will be money soon. There just isn't any at this particular lender just now for my major.

Thanks for the good wishes. (And to everyone who has replied, thank you so much. It'll be ok. I'm almost finished, and school is paid for.)

The loans, once awarded, are guaranteed against default. Guaranteed for the lender. But EdAmerica (and the bank that's servicing my loan locally) has no money to lend me, so...

Yes to the FAFSA, but if there's no money, I guess there's no money. My credit is perfect, so it's not that.

I imagine there will be money soon. There just isn't any at this particular lender just now for my major.

Thanks for the good wishes. (And to everyone who has replied, thank you so much. It'll be ok. I'm almost finished, and school is paid for.)

My son's financial aid office told us EdAmerica is going out of business. They won't be loaning money to students, no matter what degree they are pursuing.