Menu

favorite Lego sets

athomeontheprairie

I know there are other Lego lovers on here. Can you share with me your favorite CURRENTLY AVAILABLE Lego sets?

We saw a new set at a friend's today. It was truly AMAZING-and not something stores near us display.

It was this set: https://shop.lego.com/en-US/Maze-21305

Are there some of your sets your family REALLY loves?

For my girls this has been one of their favorite purchases: https://shop.lego.com/en-US/Amusement-Park-Roller-Coaster-41130

Super fun play. It DOES stuff 😀

• Like 1

I got that labyrinth for Mother's Day and the roller coaster for my birthday :). We're all big Lego fans here.

DS7 and I have been making a seaside scene/resort and I bought a second set of this beach hut. We also built it in different colors with pieces we already owned: https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00NHQGGPC/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1479540099&sr=8-1&pi=SL75_QL70&keywords=lego+beach+hut

The day after Thanksgiving we'll pull out the cargo train and decorate it for Christmas: https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00J4S6UYO/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1479539519&sr=8-1&pi=SL75_QL70&keywords=Lego+cargo+train#nav-search-keywords

And finally, I like the diversity of minifigs this one added (a baby!) https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01CU9WX08/ref=mp_s_a_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1479539626&sr=8-4&pi=SL75_QL70&keywords=lego+baby

DS9 loves the Lego Creator 3-in-1 sets, because he can keep taking them apart and rebuilding them into something else. Other Lego sets get built once, played with for a bit, and then taken apart and added to the communal Lego bucket. These have more rebuild value for him. 

We love the modular sets. My husband and I have built seven of them together, and the children love playing with them. I can't wait for the new Assembly Square set to come out in January! We also look forward to building the Christmas set every year on the day after Thanksgiving (this year's set is a train). The architecture sets are also family favorites, as well as the large scale landmarks like Tower Bridge and Big Ben. Actually, it's beginning to look like I'm decorating our house in Lego landmarks and modular buildings, but Lego is a huge deal in our family, so I'm ok with that! ;)

We're into the Christmas sets now. The girls get a little bit to do each day in December for their advent box. We have two (Santa's workshop and something that seems a lot like Santa's workshop also), and I have the train here for this year--need to divvy it up into ziploc bags over Thanksgiving.

I would love to build Cinderella's castle, but I don't think we want it around longterm. I'm very thankful that my kids were prime lego age during the years of Harry Potter sets. There's a set now that I think is a 3-in-1 with a camper, vacation home, and maybe a boat? I would like that one.

These are some great sets! Some (many) I've never seen.

Our local store only carries friends, ninjago, and city. There are some you guys have listed I wouldn't even know existed.

And to the pp Who mentioned Harry Potter, I REALLY wish those sets were still around! Don't they know there's a whole new generation of hp lovers?

And to the pp Who mentioned Harry Potter, I REALLY wish those sets were still around! Don't they know there's a whole new generation of hp lovers?

If you have a Bricks & Minifigs franchise anywhere near you, I highly recommend checking with them periodically—they purchase used Lego and resell them, including Harry Potter sets. They put them together and confirm that all the pieces are there, or find the missing pieces from their bulk bins to complete a build.

Erica in OR

If you have a Bricks & Minifigs franchise anywhere near you, I highly recommend checking with them periodically—they purchase used Lego and resell them, including Harry Potter sets. They put them together and confirm that all the pieces are there, or find the missing pieces from their bulk bins to complete a build.

Erica in OR

Wow! I wish we had one in NC.

They don't list states by the city names, but I didn't see any that sounded familiar -- looks like the closest might be in Tennessee.

Erica in OR

Wow

we have one an hour away.  Hmmm

are the deals that good?

I know sometimes you can find stuff at goodwill.

Thanks for all the ideas

Wow

we have one an hour away.  Hmmm

are the deals that good?

I know sometimes you can find stuff at goodwill.

Thanks for all the ideas

I think they're reasonable for guaranteed complete used sets. It's not like stumbling across a super cheap bag at a thrift store or rummage sale, but that's a nearly never experience for me. They have a customer rewards program and occasional sales on bulk. We usually just buy from their bulk tables. You can choose a plastic deli-type container, or quart-size ziploc, or a larger bag, and then sift through the tables to find specific pieces you'd like. Those are cheaper than the Lego.com Pick-a-Brick. Another reason we go is to look at the display builds, like ones that they have set up to move.

Erica in OR

Yes!  I emailed Lego a couple of years ago begging them to re-release Harry Potter sets.  They sent a nice reply basically saying they didn't feel there was a market.  They can only have so many designs at a time. 

Let me know if you guys see any good BF deals.

Two Bricks & Minifigs stores in our state just put out a Facebook post about their Black Friday deals that cover multiple days this week. They have their new sets a percentage off one of the days and their used sets a percentage off another day. Maybe yours has a similar sale?

Erica in OR