Menu

Must-sees in Portland?

We are accompanying DH to Portland for a short business trip in mid-November. This will be our first trip there. What are must-sees?

My main objective right now is OMSI, the science museum. Any others? I need both fair and foul weather choices to fill up a couple of days. Perhaps OMSI will even be enough, because we tend to go through museums slowly, but I'd like to have other options available.

Thanks!

The Portland Attractions Pass may be a good idea for you. Here is a link

http://www.travelportland.com/deals/attractions.html

I have never used one but they look like they could be a good investment if you are going to be here for a few days. If you are only going to do one event each day, it may be cheaper without the pass but this site will give you some good destination ideas.

I would call the locations that you are planning on visiting and make sure they are still participating though!

Edited by Tap, tap, tap

Yah, I was just replying to Crissy about Powell's. That might be too good of an option ; ).

Is the Portland Zoo doable if it is raining, or would it be miserable?

Well, I'm a native Oregonian, so I'm not rain-averse. I would say if it is drizzling the zoo is doable. If it is pouring, I'd save it for another day.

Well, I'm a native Oregonian, so I'm not rain-averse. I would say if it is drizzling the zoo is doable. If it is pouring, I'd save it for another day.

Though if it's a mere drizzle, do go to see the baby elephant. :)

Probably for three days.

The last time I was there, I spent 4 hours just looking through the weaving section.

They have every single book. In print or not. Or so it seems.

HEAVEN!

(There is also a really nice waterfall a short drive away. And visiting Mount Hood, and seeing the big honkin Depression era lodge there is very interesting. My recollection is that it's about 45 minutes away.)

Oh, Crissy, you're not helping!!!! Must. Resist. Bankruptcy. Through. Book. Shopping.
I believe you can arrange your purchase to be shipped if you take your books up to the fourth floor of City of Books (the main location). It doesn''t help with the wallet, but does with the back.

Probably for three days.

The last time I was there, I spent 4 hours just looking through the weaving section.

They have every single book. In print or not. Or so it seems.

HEAVEN!

One of the major factors in choosing a neighborhood when we were house shopping was proximity to Powells (and public transport/bike paths). We scored on all counts. I still remember my eldest at about 1.5 yo exclaiming, "P for Powells!" when she noticed the big P on the floor of one of the elevators. Edited by nmoira
punctuation

One of the major factors in choosing a neighborhood when we were house shopping was proximity to Powells (and public transport/bike paths). We scored on all counts. I still remember my eldest at about 1.5 yo exclaiming, "P for Powells!" when she noticed the big P on the floor of one of the elevators.

...after my own heart!

We went to Portland in June with our virtual academy for an extended field trip and blogged it with lots of photos. The kids had a ball. We used the attractions pass that someone already mentioned and went to:

OMSI -- My kids' #1 favorite place in the world second to Disneyland. Five hours wasn't anywhere near enough time for that museum.

Portland Zoo -- A very nice zoo. They have animotronic dinosaurs on a trail for an extra cost (a few dollars per person) that my kids loved.

Children's Museum -- My kids love children's museums. My kids rank it evenly with our favorite children's museum. It's by far better than the Tacoma one.

End of the Oregon Trail - Educational. There's a small self-tour, a guided presentation of what a mercantile store would carry/what the families would need, and a movie. The kids found it somewhat boring but I found it interesting and informative.

World Foresty Discovery Museum - Ok museum about forestry.

The zoo, children's museum, and world forestry museum share the same parking lot.

My sister and her husband say the same thing.

Wouldn't that be the perfect spot for a Northwest WTM gathering?!

I'd be there in a "New York Minute";)

As for OMSI, something to think about. If you are a member of another childrens museum and it has a reciprocal arrangement you could get into OMSI for free. Plus b/c the school year is in full swing the hours b/tw 10-2 are bound to be very busy. For that reason alone you could easily spend 2 days there. We went for free b/c we were members of AC Gilbert house. Think of it this way. If you get in free you would have more money for Powells.:D

We are accompanying DH to Portland for a short business trip in mid-November. This will be our first trip there. What are must-sees?

My main objective right now is OMSI, the science museum. Any others? I need both fair and foul weather choices to fill up a couple of days. Perhaps OMSI will even be enough, because we tend to go through museums slowly, but I'd like to have other options available.

Thanks!

Powells. Look for the Powells sub-section stores. ..like the cooking and gardening one.

Pittock House

The Japanese Garden. If your kids have never seen one, they should.

The Original Pancake house (no relation to the national chain). Potato pancakes and Applepfankuken and coffee to die for. If it is a weekend, prepare to go late in the breakfast time or to have a wait.

A walk along the waterfront park in downtown.

Look to see what's visiting at the art museum.

It's been about 4 years since I've been able to DO anything in Portland besides visit family when I'm there. But here are my faves:

1. Pittock Mansion. The GREAT thing about Pittock Mansion is the view of downtown. Love it! There's another excellent view from the rose test garden, but the garden itself won't be at its best at this time of year. :001_smile:

2. Powell's. Sigh....

3. Crepes on 23rd. Hey, Portlanders, how 'bout props for NW 23rd? If you like to shop--or even window-shop--this is my favorite spot. We just go from one end to the other, with a stop at the crepe place in between. (I HOPE the crepe place is still there!!) We get a ham and cheese crepe first and wash that down with a banana and Nutella. They are knock-somebody-down good.

4. The gorge. Definitely don't miss the Columbia River Gorge. I personally think that the OR side is more beautiful; drive up that side on the way out, stopping at falls along the way. Don't miss Oneonta Gorge! Then cross over at the Bridge of the Gods, and come back on the WA side to hike Beacon Rock (if you're into that). Or keep going and head to Mount Hood for hot chocolate (or something stronger...) at the Timberline Lodge. Now, it USED to be that we'd come back down the WA side and stop for the BEST GUACAMOLE EVER at Who-Song & Larry's; they made it right there at your table. But I think that maybe they've been bought out? Has anyone tried the guac at the new place? Their margaritas weren't anything to right home about, but that guac was absolutely cosmic.

So anyhoo, those are my favorite Portland moments. Have fun!