Menu

Your best shepherd's pie recipe please

Jaybee

My girls have requested this for their birthday dinner. I've only made it a couple of times, and that was years ago--I have no idea what recipe I used. 

Thanks!

ETA: They are bringing some of their young adult friends as well. I don't like trying out a new recipe on guests, so I want a good tried and true one!

Edited by Jaybee

Are you going to fix a leg of lamb to have leftovers? I always make a leg of lamb for dinner, then I chop the meat and mix it with the leftover gravy from the leg of lamb, then I put some chopped up green beans on that, then I cover with mashed potatoes and put a little melted butter over the top of the mashed potatoes so they aren't too dry. I know that's not a recipe, but keeping it basic is important, lol. Also, once we were at a restaurant where they put cheese on top... I didn't care for it myself, so I would be leery of cheese in any recipe...

• Like 1

Ground lamb for shepherds pie, ground beef for cottage pie. I often use a mix of both. I sauté the meat with a diced onion, then add some dark beer and worcteshire sauce, salt, pepper, and rosemary. I simmer until most of the liquid is gone, then sprinkle a spoonful of flour over the top and mix in and keep simmering to thicken up the juices. That goes in the bottom of a ceramic or glass oven dish. Then I put a layer of either peas (gross) or cooked carrots. (yes, I precook the carrots...steamed ones would be fine but I sauté them in butter cause butter is yummy). Then a layer of mashed potatoes. Bake in the over until hot and bubbly and the potatoes are a bit browned. 

You can also top with a bit of shredded cheddar before you bake. 

• Like 3

Okay, so I guess I am thinking more of a cowboy's pie (NOT cowpies!! :D ) than a shepherd's pie. I have no idea where you would buy lamb around here. And I am a pretty good cook, so it doesn't have to be an exact recipe--just the main idea. Hmm...seems like the ones I made had mashed potatoes on the bottom as a kind of crust. These sound really good though. Thanks!

Cottage pie has beef instead of lamb. But the potatoes are definitely on top, sometimes with cheese on top of that. Meat first, then a veggie (often peas but I hate peas), then mashed potatoes.

All of this except I like peas - don't cook them first, or they'll be mushy. And I prefer to add the cheese for just the last minutes so it doesn't burn. Shepherd's pie needs a sheep, so if you can't get lamb, a cottage pie with minced beef is what you're looking for :-)

• Like 1

Mine is easy peasy: Brown package of ground beef, drain fat then add 1 TBSP Dale's seasoning, mix then spread on the bottom of baking dish. Microwave frozen mixed veggies until cooked, then spread on top of the ground beef. Make a batch of mashed potatoes, then put on top of the veggies. Bake at 350F for 30 minutes.

So easy, but family swears it's their favourite meal.

Ktgrok's recipe sounds extra yummy.

• Like 1

I make mine with lamb. I can usually find it ground. If I buy leg of lamb to roast, I generally put some aside to ground and cook in shepherd's pie later. I like to add rosemary to my meat/veg/gravy mixture and feta to my mashed potato topping.

My method is simple . . . Brown the meat with onions and garlic, add carrots and peas, make a gravy however you like to do it. I often cheat and do packets because this is a quick, weeknight thing. Don't make the sauce too thin. It's basically a very thick stew at this point.

I put roughly hand mashed potatoes on top of this. Don't make these too thin either, but make sure they're well seasoned. Then I bake until the carrots are done.

Just taste along the way. If the lamb (or beef) mixture tastes good by itself and the potatoes taste good by themselves, it's gonna taste great together.

• Like 2

In the US, where ground lamb is uncommon, Shepherd's pie generally is made with beef and it's called that. (And the beef is ground beef, not minced.)

This could be regional. I've never had trouble finding a store that carries ground lamb. They carry much less of it than beef, and sometimes sell out, but most of my local stores stock it. The one closest to me does not :-/. It would be worth calling around and asking.

• Like 1

Yeah, the Publix nearby, which is the one most likely to carry it, doesn't. He said he could order it, but with our budget, I think I'd better stick with ground beef. Tanaqui, I didn't know there was a difference between minced beef and ground beef--I have always heard the terms used interchangeably. And I, too, have only heard it called shepherd's pie when ground beef is used--I didn't even think through the name, ha. Alton Brown has a delicious sounding recipe on the food network site. http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/shepherds-pie-recipe2.html I'll probably put some sour cream and cream cheese in the potatoes, but no cheese on top. I like the idea of the butter pats on top. I'll save Panda's idea for everyday pie as well! Thank you all. Now my mouth is watering!

Tanaqui, I didn't know there was a difference between minced beef and ground beef--I have always heard the terms used interchangeably.

LOL, there isn't - but until you made your comment, I wasn't aware there was a part of the US that habitually used the term "minced beef"!

I know somebody a little younger than me who calls it "chop meat" - until I heard her say it, I thought that expression died out with my grandmother's generation of New Yorkers! It's amazing how language can vary, isn't it?

You know what, I completely forgot to give you cooking advice, so here's mine: When you make the mashed potatoes to put on top, mix in an egg. That will make it a bit stiffer when it comes out of the oven. (And be sure to run your fork through it!)

• Like 3

I love this recipe!

Cottage Pie

2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil

3 tablespoons unsalted butter

1 medium onion, diced

3 medium carrots, peeled and sliced

1 rib celery, sliced

1/2 pound cremini mushrooms, quartered

2 cloves garlic, minced

1 tablespoon kosher salt

3/4 teaspoon dried oregano

3 tablespoons tomato paste

1 pound ground beef

1/4 cup canned low sodium beef broth

1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce

Freshly ground black pepper

4 cups Mashed Potatoes, recipe follows

1/4 cup grated Parmesan, optional

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.

Heat the olive oil and 2 tablespoons of the butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onion, carrots, celery, mushrooms, garlic, half the salt, and oregano. Cook until vegetables are tender, about 10 minutes. Stir in the tomato paste and cook until mushrooms are soft and tomato paste has turned brick red, about 8 minutes more. Stir in the beef, the broth, the remaining salt, the Worcestershire, and some pepper, breaking up any large clumps of meat, cook until the meat is no longer pink, about 3 minutes.

Transfer the meat and vegetables to a 2-quart oval casserole dish and spread the mashed potatoes over the top, leaving a 1/4-inch border around the edge. Make a decorative pattern on the top of the potatoes, if desired. Sprinkle with cheese, if using, and dot with the remaining tablespoon of butter. Bake until potatoes brown and the juices bubble around the edge, about 40 minutes. Let cool for 10 minutes before serving.

Mashed Potatoes:

1 1/2 pounds russet potatoes, peeled quartered

2 teaspoons kosher salt, plus more for seasoning

3/4 cup whole milk

6 tablespoons unsalted butter

2 tablespoons chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley

Freshly ground black pepper

Put the potatoes in a saucepan with cold water to cover by about 1-inch and add the salt. Bring to a simmer over medium-high heat, uncovered, until the potatoes are tender but not mushy, about 15 minutes. At the same time, combine the milk and butter in a small saucepan and warm over low heat until the butter is melted. Remove from the heat and cover to keep warm.

Drain the potatoes and return to the saucepan. Toss the potatoes over medium heat until dry. Add the heated milk mixture and mash the potatoes until just slightly chunky, then stir in the parsley and season with salt and pepper, to taste.

• Like 2

In the US, where ground lamb is uncommon, Shepherd's pie generally is made with beef and it's called that. (And the beef is ground beef, not minced.)

You just need to know where to look. ;-)

It's not Shepherd's pie without the lamb. Otherwise it is a cottage pie. Both good but a different meat.

For us, Dh is not a cheese fan. So just meat, veggies, and potatoes.

Bison is a nice alternative. Is that a Buffalo pie? Better than a cow patty, I guess.

• Like 1

It's not Shepherd's pie without the lamb. Otherwise it is a cottage pie. Both good but a different meat.

It is for most Americans. Language changes. For example, I know that "mince pies" in England don't use any minced (ground) meat at all. And quite a number of Americans, for that matter, see no problem in a vegan or vegetarian shepherd's pie, or a turkey shepherd's pie. The meat is just not the crucial part of the definition for most Americans.

Edited by Tanaqui
  • Like 3

It is for most Americans. Language changes. For example, I know that "mince pies" in England don't use any minced (ground) meat at all. And quite a number of Americans, for that matter, see no problem in a vegan or vegetarian shepherd's pie, or a turkey shepherd's pie. The meat is just not the crucial part of the definition for most Americans.

I agree.  Although my mother called it Chinese Pot Pie!  (Just to add some more confusion.)

I would hesitate to use lamb because it has quite an assertive taste that not everyone is used to.  I don't like it at all.  In fact my husband who likes lamb hates ground lamb because it tends to have a lot of fat and he hates the fat on lamb.

• Like 1

Yep, Shepherd's Pie around here is usually made with ground beef.

My recipe:

• Brown the beef. Drain fat.
  • Add butter, fresh garlic, frozen cajun mirepioux blend (onions, peppers & celery) and cook until the veggies are hot.
  • Add beef base and some flour to make a nice roux. Once I've got the roux done, add some more water and then pour that in a casserole dish.
  • Top w/ frozen mixed veggies. Sprinkle with Italian seasoning and salt.
  • Top the veggies w/ mashed potatoes and then shredded cheese.
  • Bake until bubbly around the edges.

Super easy. Super good.

ETA: I like to keep it easy, and I hate over-cooked vegetables so I don't cook the frozen mixed veggies first. I just add them and let them cook in the oven.

Edited by Aura