Menu

Pre reading skills curr?

lulalu

http://www.thephonicspage.org/On%20Reading/blendingwords.html

Many good free online older phonics programs like Blend Phonics, Word Mastery, the Pollard series, Phonovisual, etc, have a few pre reading activities and explanations. Most of these programs can be found linked from Don Potter's reading page:

http://www.donpotter.net/education_pages/reading-instruction.html

Edited by ElizabethB
  • Like 2

Believe it or not, my favorite Pre-Reading curriculum was Rod and Staff PreSchool (note: Preschool for Mennonites is Kindy since they don't go to kindergarten)...these start with very simple activities and progress all the way to writing and a little phonics, with many varieties of activities such as tracing, left to right, cut and paste, coloring, Diglot Weave stories, play-acting, hidden pictures, and much more.  They are so cute and affordable.

• Like 4

She has rod and staff workbooks for k. She is using them with her 4 yr old.

I think she is looking more for something specific to reading skills like phonemic awearness and syllable and rhyming activities.

Does LOE have a prereading level? Or do the games cover these areas?

• Like 1

The R&S workbooks do get into phenomic awareness if you stick with the preschool series.  I remember those little pages of circling the things that start with a certain sound.

Bob books would be a good set to get too, if they have an early one like mentioned above. I dont' remember doing that specifically like I do the R&S books. We loved the Bob books for beginning reading though, so I am sure the prereading ones are good too.

• Like 1

I'm really wracking my brain to remember workbook series just for pre-reading...

Well, first, the Rod and Staff do get into phonemic awareness, though not too much.

A lot of the "Preschool" workbooks at Walmart and Barnes and Noble have pre-reading skills and phonemic awareness.  

Also, remember- there are so many other skills associated with pre-reading.  Left to right tracing and diglot weaves are super important because they teach the eye to move from left to right.  So if she is looking for workbooks, remember, letters sounds and such aren't the only pre-reading skill...

How about Developing the Early learner?  My younger dd absolutely loved them and her critical thinking skills started off with a bang.  They were super fun, and you don't need the expensive TM for most of the activities.  

Calvert Preschool does a TON of fun, sweet pre-reading activities, if she can find it used it may be helpful

Lecka- do you mean the book Phonemic Awareness in Young Children a classroom curriculum?

Several different things came up. If that is the one there is no longer a sample. So wondering if it adjusts well to one child in the home environment or if most activities involve a group?

Or if you were talking something else can you link it please?

Lecka- do you mean the book Phonemic Awareness in Young Children a classroom curriculum?

Several different things came up. If that is the one there is no longer a sample. So wondering if it adjusts well to one child in the home environment or if most activities involve a group?

I think perhaps she meant a general search for phonemic awareness?

You mentioned digital would be ideal.

Maybe take a look at the Alphabet Notebook: https://craftyclassroom.com/product/letter-of-the-week-curriculum-binder/

or their reading notebook: https://craftyclassroom.com/product/r-e-a-d-curriculum-notebook/

We are starting both (with two different kids) in January so I can't give you a review or feedback on them. I got them because i need something cut and paste friendly and repetitive enough to hopefully create some level of independence.

Edited by macmacmoo
  • Like 1

I never used a pre-reading curriculum - it just came naturally mostly by reading books with rhymes and talking about the rhyming words, pointing when reading so they got the basics of left to right, teaching letter sounds only and NOT the alphabet song (that came later), and blending, blending, blending while speaking for them orally without doing it as a reading lesson so that when they got to saying the letters and blending themselves they had heard it done so many times that it was natural. The syllable game came much later and I taught it while teaching reading starting with words ending in -ing and -ed where they just learnt to get rid of it and say the root word adding on the suffix later. I spent a lot of time with them reading aloud to me when I worked on the multi-syllable words as they came up and only once fairly fluent did we go back and use curricula that dealt with multi-syllabled words in depth.

As for phonemic awareness - my children had a good awareness without much teaching, but other children I have worked with who struggled did best with using their own names to expand their phonemic awareness as most had a good understanding of the sounds and letters of their own name (even if the phonics involved was more complex) and then using the letters of their own name we could do words beginning with the same letter and words with the vowels in them and so on working towards beginning and ending sounds and then middle sounds as needed. Each child is so individual - you adapt to the child in front of you. 

Our university library has that book. They are designed for a class but all are easily taught to a single student. They look like good exercises. I have not tried them with an actual child, but they are similar to other things I have done and used with my students with underlying speech. language, or hearing problems. Edited by ElizabethB
  • Like 1

Bob Books has an alphabet set and a pre-reading set.

Those Bob Books for the Alphabet are horribly disappointing. They took advantage of the Bob Books reputation to peddle semi-useful materials :/

They are essentially very boring ABC booklets. I don't know if the PreREading series is any better, but I was so disappointed with the ABC Bob Books that I figure it's worth throwing in a precautionary tale.

I'm sorry that I spent money on them and I got them used for pennies on the dollar. 

...We loved the Bob books for beginning reading though, so I am sure the prereading ones are good too.

That's what I thought! I loved the Bob Books and have 2 sets of the early readers, but I don't know if I can trust their non-phonetic Reader books because The ABC Bob Books are horrible! They are very boring and not even as useful as the average ABC books that you'd get from the library or dollar store.

• Like 1

Thanks for the warning on the Bob books! When the added shipping overseas is in play it really is needed to know.

The phonemic awareness book sounds like what my friend was thinking just wish there was a sample to look at.

You could post on the Special Needs board and see if any of the ladies there can show you a page or two, I think several of them have the book.

I also loved the rod ando staff preschool books but not so much the abc and def series...but I really like christian light kindergarten 2 it does counting and letter names and sounds ect. Rainbow resource carries it as well as ordering right from christian light. You can see a large sample of it from either place I think. I know you can download a several page sample of each light unit off the christian light website. I really like using it at a slower pace ( one lesson a week from each the work book and the activity book) along with the phonemic awareness activities from the AAR curriculum. To only do the phonemic awareness activities you can buy a used teachers manual and then call AAR to order just the cards. The activity book is nice if you want 2 craft sheets and one sound matching activity per letter...my crafty little girl likes it so we throw it in with the Christian light pages for the appropriate letter. Really though AAR is good for those phonemic awareness games and I love the progression for them.