Menu

s/o Essential oils

mamiof5

Something I've been wanting to ask about for a while, but always forget. The essential oils thread reminded me.

Do you have a diffuser? What do you use it the most for? (Illness or good smelling house?). Can you use any diffuser with any brand or does each brand have a diffuser and they go together?

I do have one. I got it on clearance at Walmart last year. I use it mostly for making the house smell nice. You can use any brand of oil with any diffuser. Just put in water and add however many drops of oil you want, depending on how strong you want to make it smell. I use some Now brand oils I ordered from Amazon. 

• Like 2

I use for prevention and sleep. I really do feel that I fall asleep faster and sleep deeper when diffusing things like lavender and blends that are supposed to be sleep related. Otherwise I also use some blends to clear the air. Like get burnt plastic in the toaster over smell out of my house...😮

• Like 3

I have three of them (one for each bedroom in our house).  They are all different brands I bought on  Amazon.  I mostly use them during the winter.  I can't say for certain they help with sickness but the kids really like them so we use them.  One is also a humidifier which is particularly nice when the house is so dry.

• Like 1

I have one. We've used it to diffuse EOs that help concentration, to help energize, to help calm, etc.

The one I have is unique in that it is also a cold air humidifier. It diffuses via a pulse system. So due to that

and no heat element it can run all day, if needed. It will also automatically shut off if and when it runs out of water

or what I've set the timer for. It even has an option to display a spectrum of colors.

• Like 1

We don't have cats. But just curious...why not with cats?

Something to do with cats not being able to metabolize them the same way we can, and it can lead to toxicity.

I am part of a really good EO group on Facebook that has a ton of really good info. They are mainly for Edens Garden, but don't mind questions about others as long as you aren't there pushing MLM companies. I have found out a ton of useful info and safety stuff that MLM companies don't tell you. Since I don't like putting my real name out there, you can message me if you would like added and I can vouch for you.

That's interesting. Had no idea. Thanks!

Now to Google if dogs are ok with them, because we do have a dog ☺

I know there are some precautions you should take, but one we avoid here is anything with rosemary. Our dog is epileptic and it is known to possibly exacerbate them in dogs and humans.

Here are my notes on the topic of safety:

When trying any new product, it is important to remember every body is different. “Natural†is not a synonym for “safe.†Essential oils are highly concentrated chemicals. Whether inhaled or applied to the skin, this level of concentration means that any sensitivity or allergy to the source plant will be magnified. Strong fragrances may trigger respiratory reactions in people with asthma or similar conditions, and applying the oil directly to your skin may cause a skin reaction.

Additionally, some plants have natural medicinal qualities that can react with your prescribed medications or exacerbate a medical condition. So, to be safe, always start slowly when using a new essential oil. Dilute the oil before using it on your skin. Check with your physician if you are taking medication or suffer from allergies. Furthermore, some essential oils should be avoided if you are pregnant. It is always a good idea to research the specific risks associated with the essential oil you are considering.

Edited by MomatHWTK

we use non-steam diffusers. 

Our first was: https://www.aromatools.com/Advanced_Essential_Oil_Diffuser_p/9375.htm

Our second was a travel version but doesn't seem to be made anymore

our third and four: https://www.amazon.com/Smiley-Daisy-Nebulizing-Oil-Diffuser/dp/B00VKA2EIA/ref=sr_ph_1_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1478354318&sr=sr-1&keywords=diffuser

We use them at night mostly. lowest setting, very infrequent short burst throughout the night of a lavender, eucalyptus, and tea tree blend maybe some other things. Started with one in our room and gradually bought one for all the kids room. Use it for prevention.

Sometimes i might take one to the kitchen and put in a fun smelling one to brighten my cleaning mood.