Menu

Go, Cubs, Go! 108 years!!!

dirty ethel rackham

I live in the suburbs, and the celebrating still woke me! My grandmother was a Cubs fan all her life. I have so many memories of listening to the game with her and going to games at Wrigley. She never saw the Cubs win the World Series. I wish she had been here to see it. I'm not much of a sports fan, but even I have been super emotional about their win.

• Like 3

We live near Chicago and I'm a third generation Cub's fan. I still feel like it's a dream. My dad is 82 and I'm so happy that he finally got to see them win. My college daughter is such a big fan and couldn't stand missing watching the game with us. She goes to school in Wisconsin 4 hours away. She left after class yesterday afternoon and for Got home around 7:30. After the game she went with her brother to Dick's Sporting Goods to get t-shirts etc and ended up standing in line for over 2 hours. They didn't get home until after 2. Then she had to leave again at 6:15 this morning for the 4 hour drive back to campus in time for biology lab. In a way I'm glad she is used to lack of sleep due to her insomnia since I was worried about her driving after only 3 hours of sleep but she did fine. I'm so glad we were able to share the moment as a family, although at times I was sure I was going to have a heart attack. My son is thinking about going to the parade and rally tomorrow but they are expecting record breaking crowds. I will be watching it on TV.

• Like 4

Did you see the thing about how everyone is putting up chalk graffiti on Wrigley in honor of all their loved ones who were fans who didn't live to see it? That was really putting the time in perspective. I mean, wow.

ETA: Here's one story about it. Lots of images. If you have a Cubs fan who died, it'll probably make you cry. For reals.

http://deadspin.com/this-ones-for-all-the-cubs-fans-who-didnt-live-long-eno-1788530112

Edited by Farrar
  • Like 6

Very happy people in this household too!! I married into the agony of Cubs fandom, so it's only been 26 years for me, but my DH grew up in Wisconsin and has been a waiting for this for almost 50 years. His Dad, who grew up in Racine, WI, right outside of Chicago, has been going to Cubs games every year for 75 years. He was in tears last night. So glad he was able to see this in his lifetime! 

• Like 5

I can still hardly believe it. I'm so glad it happened while my Dad, who is 78 and has lots of health problems, was here to see it! I'm not really a sports fan, but I'm a Cubs fan because of him. His grandfather had just recently immigrated to Chicago from Lithuania the last time they won the World Series. Think about how much the world has changed since then. Cars were a luxury item. Women couldn't vote. No one could have ever imagined an African American president. I've seen so many negative things on Facebook lately related to politics, it was great to see all my fellow Cubs fans celebrating instead.

eta: My mom said my Dad has not watched a single game because he thinks he curses them by watching. So you may have him to thank for their win :).

Edited by kentuckymom
  • Like 5

My dad was a huge fan and took the family to Wrigley Field many times when we were kids. Some of my most very favorite memories. He shared his love of the Cubs with my oldest son. I'm sure they were in heaven celebrating. This was a very emotional week for me! And I remembered how much I liked baseball! It sorta died with my dad. My youngest son singing Go Cubs Go during school today was just perfect!

• Like 4