Menu

How does your 10yo train for 5K runs?

SKL

My 10yo is really interested in running, but she doesn't have any technique.  She ran a 3 mile run last month and a 5K today.  She wants to run another 5K on Thanksgiving.  What should she do to prepare?

She plans to run track at school in the spring.  It will be her first organized activity focused on running.  She's physically fit and active though.

We joined a children's running group through the Y.  They ran on Saturday mornings and gave some guidelines on how far to run during the week.  I think they started with 1 mile run the first week and slowly increased the distance. 

PS - they were also taught some stretches and conditioning exercises. 

Edited by Jean in Newcastle

He was on a cross country team through the parks and rec department and ran for the middle school XC team (he was specially invited since he was technically in 5th grade). He also ran on the summer the track team.

Running stores are a great place to get local information. Girls on the Run is a popular nationwide group if she doesn't have a school or parks and rec team to join.

https://www.girlsontherun.org

Edited by MEmama
  • Like 1

You could do a couch to 5k. You could also look for a Girls on the Run training plan. The biggest issue kids have is running too fast, using all their energy, then having to walk.

My kids ran cross country this year but they only ran 2k or 3k which is much shorter. They were able to run with minimal training outside of their regular activities.

Edited by Rach

-We did Couch to 5K before the kids' first run.

-Girls on the Run is a popular program in the elementary schools here, but it is more winter/spring (maybe Feb until a 5K at the beginning of June).

-Middle school cross country is a great program here, and there have been 5th graders who have joined in. We have great leaders who teach stretching, warm-ups, best practices etc. Note that middle school races are only 3k. You don't have 5K races in the schools until high school.

That is great your dd is interested in running!  It can be a life time activity that promotes health.  I can't specifically speaking to that age training for a 5k as my kids and I didn't take up running until later.  However, I would suggest that at this age you be careful to not allow her to bump up mileage too quickly in order to train.  Most experts say increase mileage no more than 10%/wk.  You can see if www.runnersworld.com/   has any tips on training.  The pp poster, zyxwvut, has great advice for training.  However for some 10yo, it may be too much to do or think about.  Don't kill the love for running by doing too much at a "young" age.  I wish her much success on her next 5k race!!!

I looked into Girls on the Run.  They do have a 5k coming up in mid-November, but the program registration for fall is closed.  Also, the availability of local programs we could realistically access is pretty much zero.  Maybe I could ask them for some information anyway.

Do you have local running stores? They should know about available programs and opportunities in your area.

If she will be in middle school next year, can you contact the coach? XC season is over (at least it is here) but there might be indoor track during the winter months she can join, or at least the coach should be able to provide ideas and tips for what she can do now. In our area, there are 5Ks almost every weekend. If she can run it and is motivated, sometimes the best way to train is to race.

Most running communities are very welcoming and eager to share knowledge. Getting even a small foothold might net you a wealth of information.

• Like 1

My suggestion would be to do practice runs on the actual course. That way the runner can get used to the pace of the course -- where the hills are etc. and, if the course has steep hills, do extra up and down hill practice. A parent can run alongside or drive behind in a car, stopping and waiting, at a time when streets are quiet. We went on Sunday mornings.

Obviously, avoid streets with heavy traffic, etc.

ETA

A lot of the top runners in our local 5k races were travel soccer players. They got enough practice at the games and ended up being faster than other 10 yr olds.

Edited by Alessandra

I know what you mean about soccer.  My kids used to be on a small team and spent most of the hour running nonstop, and loving it.  :)  This year we can't fit soccer in.  :(

My kids go to a small school.  They do have track for 5th graders in the spring, but no running sport the rest of the year.

I looked into Girls on the Run. They do have a 5k coming up in mid-November, but the program registration for fall is closed. Also, the availability of local programs we could realistically access is pretty much zero. Maybe I could ask them for some information anyway.

Is there a running shoe store near you? They usually have free clubs for adults and kids. Also- it's the best place to get her decent running shoes.

I guess I need to look into running shoe stores. I know we have Dicks, but I don't know about anything else.

What are the usual running shoe store franchise names?

A lot of running shoe stores aren't franchises, they are independently owned. Our local one is great and they do a good job of fitting my son for his running shoes when he does track in the spring. He us in a youth track club and at least one of the coaches is a high school cross country coach. If you know where she is going to high school you might want tontrack down the high school cross country coach and email the coach to ask if there are any youth track/cross country clubs in your area.

• Like 1

I guess I need to look into running shoe stores.  I know we have Dicks, but I don't know about anything else.

What are the usual running shoe store franchise names?

If you google "running store ____ (your city's name)" you should come up with some local stores.  Around here, they are all independent stores.   Our local store is run by a retired public school teacher and cross country coach, and they were extremely helpful.   

My DS started running in the neighborhood as a way to burn off steam during his school day, and worked his way up to running a 3-mile course through our neighborhood 3 x per week.   That's all he did for training until he started working out with our high school cross country team this past summer.   He ran several 5Ks this spring and really enjoyed them, placing 2nd or 3rd for his age division.   When he joined the cross country team (a HUGE program locally, with 40+ runners), he was "middle of the pack," but after running with them and just finishing his first XC season, his 5K times decreased over 2 minutes.

So do you think it would make sense for a 10yo to do a 5k on Nov. 13 and another one on Nov. 24?  Or is that crazy?  I really don't know anything about this ....

If she's used to running that distance, no it's not crazy.   You might want to register for the first race, see how she does, see how she enjoys it, and wait to register for the 2nd one until you really know she will want to continue.    We typically let DS, before he got involved with the XC team, run about one 5K per month, plus running about 3 x per week on his own, but our "once a month" frequency was more because of the time and cost involved than anything else.

Definitely make sure she has good running shoes, and keep a rough log of how many miles she is running, because shoes need to be replaced every 300-500 miles.   A running store will help you find the best shoes to fit her feet and gait.   And at that age, keep it fun.   If it stops being fun, you're pushing too hard.

Since she is interested in running track, it might be fun for her to get timed in the 1600 meters (4 laps around the track - close to a mile) and the 400 (one lap around the track). Is there a track nearby where you can take her? I signed up my son for track right before he turned 8. We took him to the track in December and timed him running one lap. He sprinted 100 and then got tired and slowed down. We wrote down his time and it was exciting to see how much faster he got over the next few months. We did the same thing another day for the mile. He could barely run a mile (well a 1600) without stopping, partly because he would run too fast. By April he has cut at two to three minutes off his 1600.