Menu

Vent...public high school

Tap

OT for the OP's topic but on the topic of WA history, I'm listening to Boys in the Boat about the crew team from UW & the 1936 Olympics.  It is fantastic for WA history & geography.  I'd recommend it both for the story & for the geography and history woven into it.  

I wonder if this is the same subject as something I heard on John Bachelor a couple of months ago?

Why not waive the requirement at this point instead of causing pointless strife in a young person's life?  Knowing what I was like as a kid, I'd probably feel a little resentful about the state if that's what they were asking me to do while I was trying to prepare for college.

Because ignoring graduation requirements until the last minute is not and will never be a get out of jail free card, whether the requirement is an art class, PE class, or math class. All the wickets must be hit. I would like to see this argument tried at the collegiate level. It's laughable.

• Like 4

Well, I looked over the packet and like another poster said, it isn't terribly intensive.  My guess is that it will take 15 to 30 hours to do.  I think I will go to the websites and save the articles to a few files.  That way she can easily adjust the font (larger fonts are easier on her Dyslexia) but still use the search feature to make finding snippets easier.  

I will email her counselor tonight and see if the date is fixed or if it is purposefully early to give the students some extra time if needed.  Her counselor really likes her and has worked hard to make sure she has the accommodations she needs.  She is an honors student and varsity athlete, they know she is willing to do the work, she just needs the time to do so. 

She is also going to see if she can find out which teacher checks the packets.  She has had a great relationship with one of the history teachers at her school. He allowed her to use bullet points for all of her test essay questions (to save her time writing). He really liked her and commented several times to me about how hard she worked and participated fully in class (somewhat uncommon in history class lol).  She ended up with over 100% grade in his class last year.  She wants to know how thoroughly they review the packet.  There is no reason for her to spend 5 minutes constructing thoughtful answers to each question, if a few bullet points will do.  If he is grading it, we feel he will allow he to do so.  I am guessing it is a pass/fail thing so she will just need to make sure that she passes it and not focus on getting a high grade. 

I could be dishonest and say she did the unit in 6th grade (she was home schooled k-6 grade ), but that isn't how we do things.  It is our fault that it got overlooked. I remember asking her about it a year  ago if she had all of her history requirements done, because it seemed like something she would need.  It wasn't on the  required high school credit summary we get at the end of each year, so I didn't think much about it.  It didn't occur to me that it would be a non-credit requirement. LOL  

Oh well, it could be worse, it is just bad timing.  She has the SAT in a week or two and the ACT a bit after that.  Her extra time was going to be reviewing for those, but now I guess it will be history instead. 

Hi Tap! I have DS's transcript out right now, and you are thinking the right way. There is no grade for this packet, not even pass/fail. On DS's transcript there is a box labelled "Additional State Requirements" and it lists 5 items, including Washington State History. These items are labelled MET or NOT MET.

All your DD has to do is get to MET. 

Good luck!

• Like 2

OT for the OP's topic but on the topic of WA history, I'm listening to Boys in the Boat about the crew team from UW & the 1936 Olympics. It is fantastic for WA history & geography. I'd recommend it both for the story & for the geography and history woven into it.

Loved that book! The best book I've ever read on WA history is 4 Wagons west. It was written by the granddaughter of the Denny's (one of the original founders of Seattle). I use that for my WA history spine and I take a map and mark all the places talked about in the book, show photos if I can find some, and then take the kids to see what is there now.

• Like 3

Because ignoring graduation requirements until the last minute is not and will never be a get out of jail free card, whether the requirement is an art class, PE class, or math class. All the wickets must be hit. I would like to see this argument tried at the collegiate level. It's laughable.

We just fundamentally disagree that it should be a graduation requirement, but since you and others are comparing it to high school and collegiate level courses then I doubt there will be a meeting of the minds. To me, you're begging the question over and over again. She has to do it because it's a graduation requirement. It's a graduation requirement so it's worthwhile. It's worthwhile because it's a graduation requirement.

If it were credits she was missing (like P.E. credits or art credits or math credits as you mention), then you would get no argument from me in that respect.

I mean, either it is worth doing or it isn't. If there's an option to half-ass the thing, then I have to vote for the latter. If it is in fact the former, then make it a high school course, give it a credit and make it worth everyone's time. Make it a rich, amazing history course. But the B.S. is in saying it's so important, but then making it into busywork and a bureaucratic check box smashed in with actual important stuff that determines a teen's future.

Also, I should mention that the OP's kid is clearly not trying to game the system and avoid wickets, silly though they may be. So I'm not sure where you're getting that idea.

Edited by JodiSue
  • Like 1

I wonder if this is the same subject as something I heard on John Bachelor a couple of months ago?

It looks like it is.  I think there was also a PBS documentary on it and maybe a movie, too?  I'm late to the game getting to it and I'm wishing I had started sooner!  The details in the book are amazing.  

Loved that book! The best book I've ever read on WA history is 4 Wagons west. It was written by the granddaughter of the Denny's (one of the original founders of Seattle). I use that for my WA history spine and I take a map and mark all the places talked about in the book, show photos if I can find some, and then take the kids to see what is there now.

That sounds really good.  We aren't in WA anymore but I find the history of it really interesting.  I'll put that one on my reading list.  

• Like 1

It looks like it is.  I think there was also a PBS documentary on it and maybe a movie, too?  I'm late to the game getting to it and I'm wishing I had started sooner!  The details in the book are amazing.  

That sounds really good.  We aren't in WA anymore but I find the history of it really interesting.  I'll put that one on my reading list.  

dh loves the boys in the boat.  pbs did a documentary - it's very good.  focuses on the times and how seattle was seen as so "rural" whenever they competed back east.  for the olympics - they were given the worst lane as a handicap to benefit the germans (the documentary explains why it was so bad) - they still won.

it also focuses on the times - and what life what like.

To check a box.  Not to impart meaningful knowledge, not to inculcate a love of the state, but to check a box.  That's exactly what education is not supposed to be about. 

I agree in theory, but if they didn't offer a "check the box" alternative they would catch hell for that as well. 

They don't waive the requirement because then everyone would want a waiver. I'm guessing the theory is that some exposure is better than none, and that something in the packet might spark some interest. 

If feasible, I'd probably just do the reading out loud for dd if that works well, and reading to herself is slow. 

• Like 2

And FWIW, the states I've taught in have a similar requirement for teachers, with a similar "game the system" option-a weekend or easy online class or credit by exam if you don't have such a class on your transcript (either from high school or from undergrad, when it can also fulfill a history requirement for eled and eced, and would be a much more detailed class). It is definitely a "check the box" thing-presumably so you have some background knowledge if you have to teach it in whatever grade it is expected. Having moved several times, I've now gotten the joy of doing this in several states :).

• Like 2